I hate glass.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I just replaced my original windshield last month. It went 254,000 miles. It's replacement is cracked already. You would think after 100+ years they would have found a replacement for glass that was tougher..

Cheaper would be nice to.400 bucks for 2 windshields in one month.

Makes me want to pay for full coverage with glass.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

moose

Veteran Expediter
Same Bad luck here.
replaced the windshield @ the Ontario T.A, 2 weeks ago.
now, when it's raining out side, it's raining inside .
bad installation, gonna have to pay someone else to take it off & seal it right.
Bugger.

BTW, my grandma don't use glasses no more.
no sir, she drink straight from the bottle.

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
No warranty? My glass guy is going to look at it. if it's installation he'll replace it free.

I can see where the rock hit, so I doubt it's covered.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I just replaced my original windshield last month. It went 254,000 miles. It's replacement is cracked already. You would think after 100+ years they would have found a replacement for glass that was tougher..

Cheaper would be nice to.400 bucks for 2 windshields in one month.

Makes me want to pay for full coverage with glass.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

A friend told me a while back that there is actually different grades of glass used in windshields. He claims that most shops use a cheaper grade simply because nobody knows the difference, but the replacement glass seldom lasts as long as the original.

I have no idea if there is any truth to it or if he just talked to a really good windshield salesman..lol. Might be worth some research?

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
There is DOT specs.. but there are glass manufacturers who go above. This was a name brand piece of glass he put in (I forget the name.. plenkerton?)

It's just bad luck on my part. I remember something hitting it a few days ago but didn't see any chips.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Just my 2 cents... Use Safelite Auto glass. They have a nationwide warranty on workmanship. If any glass they install ever leaks they fix it at no charge anywhere in the country. Generally when a glass company needs to reseal a windshield it needs to be removed to be done correctly. With the adhesive that they use now, they more often than not break in the process. When this happens with Safelite the new glass is on them.

BTW, glass ins. is great! It's a $100 deductible through Progressive.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Just my 2 cents... Use Safelite Auto glass. They have a nationwide warranty on workmanship. If any glass they install ever leaks they fix it at no charge anywhere in the country. Generally when a glass company needs to reseal a windshield it needs to be removed to be done correctly. With the adhesive that they use now, they more often than not break in the process. When this happens with Safelite the new glass is on them.

BTW, glass ins. is great! It's a $100 deductible through Progressive.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums

Plus most progressive policies have free chip repair.

We did have one REALLY bad experience having a windshield replaced. Had it done at a Safelite shop in Livonia MI. They replaced the windshield in the morning at their shop. The next morning we noticed the headliner was damp in the corners. Called them they came out and "sealed" it. They proceeded to tell us that our body seams were.cracked and that was causing the leak. A month later we awoke to a literal waterfall from the center of the windshield during the ice/rain storm. It was so bad I had to hold a beach towel up while Nick got.tossed around on the phone with Safelite. The closest shop was about 15 miles away. We got there and their bay was not tall enough to fit the van into. The headliner was completely soaked. The kids that were there were in amazement by it. They pulled the van in as far as they could. Wrapped it.in towels to dry it and keep the falling rain from coming forwards. They found a leak that had been there since the replacement due to the amount of damage. They replaced the windshield under warranty. They also filed a claim with Safelite to have our headliner replaced when we got home. We have gotten a few chips which we have had filled since then. Not sure who we will use next time.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
had mine installed right there in the yard when i signed on by the Belle Tire crew...no problems

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've had 6 windshields replaced on my Sprinter. All were done through the insurance obtained through the carrier, $100 deductible. I'm not even sure about Load One, but Panther's insurance allows two replacements per year. I think that's pretty much standard.

One replacement was at a Binswager Glass place in San Antonio. That was two windshields ago, and they added some primer in a few spots due to rust that's developing. All the other replacements have been done at the Safelite shop in Paducah, where I know the shop owner. They'll come to wherever you are, of course, but I like taking it there first thing in the morning, 8AM, before they scatter, that way there are 2-4 guys to work on it at once. It's quicker and easier for all concerned. This last time in January, they had to do a little sanding (grinding) and priming due to the "Sever Rust in Pinch Weld". OK, spelling isn't their forte, but they do a good job with windshields.

Before you pay for an entire windshield out of your pocket, check with the insurance person at your carrier or you insurance agent about the windshield replacement coverage you almost certainly have.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I replaced 2 in my CV and i have a stone chip in the Cargo Max now,@ 86,000 miles...its all about "luck"....

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I don't carry comp or collision on my van. It's old, and not worth the extra 50 dollars a month it would cost to cover. since it's been totaled out once in it's life it's worth about 2000 dollars according to the insurance company. Does not take long to pay more than the value of the van in insurance premiums.

BTW in MN there is a 0 deduct for glass coverage with Progressive. My wife's Venture is covered this way. Out of pocket for that one is 3-600 dollars.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I replaced 2 in my CV and i have a stone chip in the Cargo Max now,@ 86,000 miles...its all about "luck"....

I got a new windshield last Jan. and had a stone chip 4 days later. But, you know, there's no such thing as luck. A stone chip is simply the act of a tire throwing up a stone.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am on the 4th windshield on my 2004 sprinter. I have a small shop close by that does an excellent job. $100 deductible.
The original was replaced with a Pilkington windshield. I hated it. Got scratched on the inside by wiping it with paper towels. I was going to take it in for a warranty replacement, but got a crack from a rock before I had time to take it in. Then it got replaced with a Guardian windshield. Good glass until it got hit by another rock. Then it got replaced with a PPG windshield. Been perfect for about 2 years now.
In the future, if I have a choice, I will stay away from Pilkington (china made).

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I am on the 4th windshield on my 2004 sprinter. I have a small shop close by that does an excellent job. $100 deductible.
The original was replaced with a Pilkington windshield. I hated it. Got scratched on the inside by wiping it with paper towels. I was going to take it in for a warranty replacement, but got a crack from a rock before I had time to take it in. Then it got replaced with a Guardian windshield. Good glass until it got hit by another rock. Then it got replaced with a PPG windshield. Been perfect for about 2 years now.
In the future, if I have a choice, I will stay away from Pilkington (china made).

This one did the same thing! Next day it had pits and a scratch by something that got caught under the wiper.

I think the "highest quality glass made!" was just a sales pitch by the guy who put it in. I called and complained about it a few days after it was installed. He said "it can't stay new forever!" more than a few days would have been nice.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The original was replaced with a Pilkington windshield. I hated it.
The original factory windshield was also a Pilkington windshield. Pilkington is the sole OE (factory) supplier for Sprinter (and nearly all Mercedes) windshields. One out of every three windshields world-wide are made by Pilnkington actually, including dealer and aftermarket brands (Safevue is the most prevalent aftermarket brand manufactured by Pilkington). Pilkington is an OE supplier for Toyota, GM, Ford, Daimler, VW, Renault/Nissan, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Honda and BMW.

For the 06 an earlier North American Sprinters, the original was manufactured most likely in either Austria or Poland, but could have been made in Romania or Argentina depending on the year. OEM replacements are made in lots of places, including China, India and South Africa, but most here in North America are imported from the same places that make the factory originals. Regardless of where they are made, they're all made to the same exact specs.

Got scratched on the inside by wiping it with paper towels.
You sure the towels were made of paper? Even really uber dirt cheap glass is harder than paper. :D

I was going to take it in for a warranty replacement, but got a crack from a rock before I had time to take it in. Then it got replaced with a Guardian windshield. Good glass until it got hit by another rock. Then it got replaced with a PPG windshield. Been perfect for about 2 years now. In the future, if I have a choice, I will stay away from Pilkington (china made).
Both Guardian and PPG makes windshields in China. Guardian (Auburn Hills, MI) makes windshields in 25 different countries. It all depends on that DOT number on the windshield. It could even say "Made in China" and not actually be made in China. I currently have a PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) windshield (PGW also makes Aquapel, like RainX, only way better). They're out of Pittsburgh (and Poland), but the DOT number is for Shenzhen Automotive Glass, which is who made it for PGW. The one thing to keep in mind is, regardless of who made it or where it was made, if it's OEM glass then it's identical to the original.

There are basically three types of windshield glass:
Dealer Glass (Original Equipment or OE)
Original Equipment Manufactured (OEM)
Aftermarket Glass

Dealer Glass (OE) and Factory Glass are the same thing, it's the original factory glass made by the same company that made the original.

OEM Glass has been manufactured to specifications and guidelines set by the automaker by a distributor which has been certified by the automaker. While it may or may not not be the exact company that made the original windshield, it meets every criteria set by the automaker and is treated as indistinguishable and identical in in every significant way. The sole difference between OE and OEM are the logos and other markings on the windshield.

An Aftermarket Windshield, or Original Equipment Equivalent (OEE), is made by any company that has not been certified by the automaker to do so. While aftermarket auto glass sold in the United States must pass minimum safety standards, they are often thinner than OEM glass and almost always vary in some significant ways. One of the largest manufacturers of aftermarket auto glass in America is Safelite, but there are many others.

Fortunately, Safelite does not yet manufacture OEE glass for Sprinters, but alway request OEM glass just to be sure, regardless of who replaces the windshield. If you get OEM glass, the manufacturer is irrelevant.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Seems to me I only got a cracked windshield within a month of passing a road side inspection and getting the sticker for it.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
You sure the towels were made of paper? Even really uber dirt cheap glass is harder than paper. :D

You'd think. Never had any other windshield do that before.
Anyway, I know Pilkington makes windshields in different places, but the one I had problems with was made in China. Maybe that one escaped Quality Control. I don't know...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I replace a windshield and usually within a week I've got a chip or a small crack, then nothing for several months, then another one that finally renders it in violation. My current one was replaced Jan 3, and it's gone more than a month now in pristine condition. That may be a record. :D

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I replace a windshield and usually within a week I've got a chip or a small crack, then nothing for several months, then another one that finally renders it in violation. My current one was replaced Jan 3, and it's gone more than a month now in pristine condition. That may be a record. :D

Lucky you.

I get lots of little rocks hitting the windshield, and they usually only chip it a little, but when one hits close to the edge of the windshield, that is when the crack starts.