I had an interesting run-in with a Sprinter today.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I have a three photo album to accompany this story, with one caveat: It was written for mechanics in a forum I frequent (and moderate). And there are some bad words. I'll post a link below.

Basically, an '06 Sprinter shows up last week with shifting problems. No check engine light. I confirmed that it wasn't shifting correctly, then I found a huge leak. Fixed leak, cleaned up mess, got fluid leveled correctly, test drive, it shifts great. Returned it to the customer.

Today it reappears. Driver not amused. Check engine light. Quick test drive reveals that it likes me or something, it's shifting great. Double-check fluid level. Perfect. Check area it was leaking previously. No issues. Code was for a fault in the turbine input shaft speed sensor. Google is literally 10 times faster than our Sprinter service manual on CD, so while the CD was slowly coming up to speed, I'm Googling. And there's no clear answer. And then I found something ridiculous that I've rarely seen in the wild: Fluid Migration.

I yanked the driver's seat out. The TCM is covered with dirt and fuzz, because it's oily. I unplugged the connector, and automatic transmission fluid came out.

Apparently this is not uncommon. The cure is a redesigned transmission wiring harness adapter connector with improved seals. Hopefully the harness itself is ok, mostly because I don't like watching customers freak out. I cleaned everything up with contact cleaner, including both inside and outside the TCM. I be that's expensive, too.

This is where I'd like to point out my appreciation for my shop foreman. Someone has to call the guy that makes his living with this thing, give the most ridiculous explanation of his truck's problem that no one has ever heard of before, and somehow explain that the service I did last week has no correlation at all with the current fiasco.

The album: Remember, foul language. The whole concept sounds ridiculous. - Imgur

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If it's not uncommon, how come you've rarely seen it, and no one's ever heard of it before?
I'm not picking, just confused. Capillary action isn't real hard to understand.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
If it's not uncommon, how come you've rarely seen it, and no one's ever heard of it before?
I'm not picking, just confused. Capillary action isn't real hard to understand.

Yes, I know. I suppose that if you were to explain capillary action to someone, they would understand. I mean, we can see it happen when a napkin is stuck in a glass of water, for example. It makes a lot less sense when it's in a truck I need for work and it needs a new wiring harness and a transmission control module and the bill is gonna be a few thousand bucks...that's when I think I'd start becoming a little upset if I'd never heard of it before. Because it's ridiculous. 20 feet of harness. Uphill.

I'm glad I don't have to talk to the customers, that's all.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
That website i posted is where i send any one with sprinter problems as they talk about all years and problems...and even do photos as they fix /clean or mod the vans.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the leak was at the transmission connector, then yes, fluid can and will be pushed to the TCM. I had the same problem with the ECM light, it's the connector plate inside the transmission. Drop the pan and it's right there. If it's bad, it will be a 200.00 dollar fix, or somewhere close to that.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Well, that sprinter showed up again, same problem, stuck in limp mode. The fluid had stopped migrating, but the tcm had died. Was supposed to be sending 12v to the transmission, but was only managing six. I visited the sprinter graveyard out back and found one. Instantly fixed the problem. Shifting better than ever.

In the meantime, I joined that sprinter site in the link above. Cool place, lots of info.

Sent from my DROIDX using EO Forums mobile app

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, that sprinter showed up again, same problem, stuck in limp mode. The fluid had stopped migrating, but the tcm had died. Was supposed to be sending 12v to the transmission, but was only managing six. I visited the sprinter graveyard out back and found one. Instantly fixed the problem. Shifting better than ever.

In the meantime, I joined that sprinter site in the link above. Cool place, lots of info.

Does your sprinter graveyard have a bad transmission that you could sell the output shaft flange assembly from it????

I have a bad vibration on mine and I don't want to pay $275 for a new one....

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Does your sprinter graveyard have a bad transmission that you could sell the output shaft flange assembly from it????

I have a bad vibration on mine and I don't want to pay $275 for a new one....

I will have to check.