I could have woke up dead!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
A week ago, I delivered a load at midnite and drove to the four wheeler lot at a Flying J. I picked a quiet corner away from other vans and cars. As with this evening, I generally don't idle overnite 'cause the insulated sleeper area is cozy if we start out warm. I awoke at 0515 to the sound of my Carbon Monoxide detecter. Startled, I quickly realized what was occuring, checked my engine; it was off. I pulled my shades and saw a long row of cars parked upwind of me. All of them were idling and a slight breeze was bringing all of their exhaust gases in my direction.

I'm so thankful for having bought that device and even moreso that it actually worked as advertised. I shared my delight with the detecter and gave it a fresh battery for a job well done.

Those of you who don't have a CO detecter should consider getting a 12v one at Home Depot or Lowes. only $25-30

Terry

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Terry, I speak for all of us when I say that We're glad that little gadget works the way it is supposed to. This should lend a lot of weight to the old addage "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Expediters need to be prepared for anything (just like the boy scouts) and your experience sets an example for the rest of us and still has a happy ending.
We are all fortunate that you were prepared! - X

Preacher

Expert Expediter
We are all thankful that you are still around to tell the story about your CO detector. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. When we meet please allow me to reward your detector with a year's supply of batteries for a job well done! This place wouldn't be the same without ya.

blueeyes

Expert Expediter
Wow, that is scary indeed.
Thanks for sharing your story. If it helps even one driver it will be worth it. (Ok now...everyone go out and get your monitors...and put them in your trucks!!)

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I would cotact the manufacturer and see if they would want to use you in an add for there littl elife saver? Can you say "Hollywood"? Seriously that would make a great product endorsement. Just goes to show how fast your life can change!
One other thing, did you see that Leyman liftgates makes a gate for vans now? How cool is that? Weighs about 300 lbs and can lift 900 lbs.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
>One other thing, did you see that Leyman liftgates makes a
>gate for vans now? How cool is that? Weighs about 300 lbs
>and can lift 900 lbs.

Thanx y'all for the kind words.

'Tommy Lift' also has had these van lift gates for years. A lot of hot-air baloonists use them to drag thier stuff into/outof their vans. Not practical for an expediter unless you had a 250# pallet jack. Now that'd be 550# less revenue weight!

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Holy smokes Terry!

Those little detectors are indeed a lifesaver and you just proved it. Every truck should have one if you sleep in it.

One related comment about CO for those of you who smoke. Smoking a cigarette will put between 10 and 20% CO into your blood.

CO *is* deadly.

Be safe out there.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Wow.. I've never had a CO detector.. after that story, I'm thinkin I just might go buy one. I always looked at it as making sure MY equipment was in top shape.. never thought about other peoples exhaust coming in...

Glad you're ok!

Dreamer

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Nobody's taken this cheap shot yet, so I gotta . . .how do you wake up dead? :7 juzzzz kidin!

Thanks for the great info, we put a CO detector in our sleeper a month ago when we were getting tired 'too quick'. We thought 'just-in-case', and we wondered if the thing would work for reals. You've reassured us, thanks!

Here's my real post though - if you don't have room or don't want the big detector in the truck, get the small CO detector/indicator from a Pilot Shop, found at many small local airfields.

It's marketed under the name 'DEAD STOP', and is about the size of a matchbook. It has a little window that changes color to black if CO is detected. Small enough so one can be on the dash next to you, a common position in light aircraft. Cost - I believe about $25 to 30, and if you want to order call up 'Sporty's Pilot Shop', a mail order pilot supply company.

Thanks for another great post youz guys!

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Does that little one for pilots also sound an alarm or just change color?

The reason I ask is the CO detectors like Terry has sound an alarm to wake you up if in danger. That thing changing colors is not going to save your life if you are fast asleep and drifting toward death from CO.

--
Mike N

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Just changes color, and good point - no alarm, other than you seeing it. It's upside is it's touted as very sensitive, and within eyesight is aimed at giving you notice you've got a CO infiltration somewhere.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One of the pilot style readily visible when driving along with the alarm type might be overkill but might also be the best combination solution. In any event, this post is a good reminder to us all to not take anything for granted and to be prepared for possibilities we don't see as possible because we do not create the possibility ourselves. As the ads used to say, "watch out for the other guy".

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

dieseldoctor

Expert Expediter
I want to echo Terry's words about a C/O detector. In the six years we have been in expediting ours has gone off twice and both times it was because someone in a car had pulled up beside us after we went to sleep and was idling their car. I go as far as every couple of months I unsnap mine and carry it in my shop where I keep my tractor. I shut the doors, start the tractor and go outside and see if detector starts up within a few seconds. Then I hold my breath and go in and turn off tractor and leave doors open when I come back out. Just a little extra to make sure it works as needed.Better safe than dead lol. Dieseldoctor.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
All ya gotta do to test it is hold it near your tailpipe while idleing.

--
Mike N

dieseldoctor

Expert Expediter
TWMASTER,
Yes you can test it that way but will it be accurate. What I mean is you are "flooding" the detector with C/O so even if it has lost some sensitivity it may work. I put the detector away from the tractor so it has to pick up just a trace of C/O. Just my opinion not scientific. Dieseldoctor

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I bought one and returned it, stacks sticking up in the sky, never thought about a car parking next to me great point. Will be picking one up today having to much fun now, to not wake up. And the darn $$%^%$$ next to me will just drive away with no recourse for my family. Sounds like a great hit for the Mafia.

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
Sitting in amongst the Big Truck is worse. I shut "close the vent "go and reclycle the air in my FLD 120. It can be worse for me as my Doctor has put me on a CPAC machine. This little device force air done one breathing passages. If CO2 got in my truck. I'd be one goner. This CPAC wouldn't know the difference between breathable air and CO 2. Thanks for the Idea.

||','''|''''''\__ ,___
| Trucker_Don | | | ||__|'__|___| |()))))))))))))))))
['''(@)'(@)"""''|(@)(@)

Catch me on the Road--or
-- on the Net
[email protected]