I am poltically incorrect with this one.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am not trying to race bait here but I am going to be politically incorrect.

I read about the memorial in Washington for Rev. Dr. King - which I find well deserving on one hand but somewhat odd on the other hand.

I wonder why in a country where we have the separation of church and state being the mantra of the populous, the ACLU fighting every small town and village to remove nativity scenes, where a big fight was taking place in California about a cross honoring war dead and where we can't utter a pray in any public school - why would there be a memorial to a man who was a church leader and reverend First and a Doctor/civil rights leader second and put his God before anything else?

After reading a lot about him, I think he would not want the memorial at all but have his dreams come true.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Interesting comment. I haven't seen any plans for the 4 acre memorial but I have wondered if there will be an religious sybolism at the memorial that won't be attacked by the ACLU, et al.

bruchar

Expert Expediter
From what I understand the memorial will cost $100,000,000. And yet you can't use many of the MLK Jr.'s speeches without paying royalties to the King family. Hmmmmm.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>From what I understand the memorial will cost $100,000,000.
>And yet you can't use many of the MLK Jr.'s speeches without
>paying royalties to the King family. Hmmmmm.

Well don't get me wrong but the family has been moving so far from the message that MLK spoke. They cashed in on the entire thing but no one seems to think that maybe if he was so imporant to this country, than all of his work would become part of the country like many other great people of this country.

As for the amount needed to to build the thing, yes it is one hundred million dollars. What I find disgusting is how many kids, African - American kids that is, would benefit by the use of this money. Another thing that I think MLK would say no memorial.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Most of it, I think that the congress approved the raising the funds through the MLK foundation. They have $61M already (as of this morning) and expect to raise the rest soon after.

I do think that the goverment provided the land.

Atlanta has some big deal with thier version of the memorial.