Husband/Wife Team, Class A License, Looking for Class B Job

Crys22

Seasoned Expediter
My husband and I are completing our 6 week CDL program tomorrow and will be receiving Class A License. We are looking to drive a Straight truck but we are having a bit of trouble finding many options for jobs. We have inquired with panther and need to call them during business hours tomorrow but would love to look at our other options.

Does anyone know off the top of their head any companies that do not require you to be an O/O? We do not wish to purchase a truck at this time we just need a foot in the door! We require very little at home time as we have no children as well as no ties to home.

We of course do not have OTR experience but I have heard from some that if your school is accredited this could be the same as actual experience.

Thanks for your responses!

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Try placing your ad in the free clasified section.Almost all expediting co.have fleet owners looking for h/w team's.Do you have hazmat?Can you go to canada?I think most co. require at least one of you to have 6 month's otr experience.When you go to the free classified section at the top of this page,you will find a section,team's wanted.Good luck! :)

moose

Veteran Expediter
In our Li'l industry ,you will not likely to find "a job" ,or 'work for a companey' . here we call it 'drive for an owner' . there are many trucks owners out there ,that are looking for H/W team to drive their trucks .
a good place to start ,is right here on this very best Expediters on line . just go to the top ,and click on the 'free classified' tab , then on the left ,click on the 'teams available' option .
you can also place your own ad at the 'team available' section ,and wait for the phone to ring.
panther ,and others ,are well known for helping match drivers with owners of truck ,so call all carriers of choice and give it some time .
take your time to read back the EO archives . you be glad you did ,and keep asking questions right here at the newbees.
driving for an owner first is the way to go .
good luck.

Last edited:

Crys22

Seasoned Expediter
Try placing your ad in the free clasified section.Almost all expediting co.have fleet owners looking for h/w team's.Do you have hazmat?Can you go to canada?I think most co. require at least one of you to have 6 month's otr experience.When you go to the free classified section at the top of this page,you will find a section,team's wanted.Good luck! :)
We haven't went for HazMat just yet. Would prefer to have some experience under our belts before hauling explosives etc. Can't think of any reason why we couldn't go to canada. My husband is a Foreign National holding a British passport but should have no problem because he has just gotten his 10 year green card. I will have a look at the "free classified" section and see what i can come up with!

We are so eager to start so please anyone with more info let us know :)

Thanks!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We haven't went for HazMat just yet. Would prefer to have some experience under our belts before hauling explosives etc. Can't think of any reason why we couldn't go to canada. My husband is a Foreign National holding a British passport but should have no problem because he has just gotten his 10 year green card. I will have a look at the "free classified" section and see what i can come up with!

We are so eager to start so please anyone with more info let us know :)

Thanks!

You need to get HAZMAT right away. Explosives is a different thing. There is just far too much HAZMAT work out there and many carriers require you to have it. Besides, why worry? You can only blow up once!! :D

Crys22

Seasoned Expediter
You need to get HAZMAT right away. Explosives is a different thing. There is just far too much HAZMAT work out there and many carriers require you to have it. Besides, why worry? You can only blow up once!! :D

haha very funny :p We have been in touch with panther and they just ask that we get it before the first 6 months have passed. :)

wearcove

Seasoned Expediter
"We of course do not have OTR experience but I have heard from some that if your school is accredited this could be the same as actual experience."

Really?????? What else did "some" tell you? anything about the Easter Bunny or perhaps Santa Claus??

I am sure you are good people, I realize I am a sarcastic a$$, but for the life of me I will never understand how Anyone can equate 6 weeks of "driving school" with any amount of real world experience.
Considering all you desire is a straight truck job, you would have saved a ton of money renting the biggest U-haul you could find and driven it to the nearest wal-mart and backed into a parking space about 50 times. Oh, and gone on the D.O.T. s website and read the logbook section,(whatever it happens to say this week anyway).
anyway, I sincerly wish you all the best, and hope you learn your lessons in this miserable trade the easy way.

rezagrats

Active Expediter
What do you mean, Spam? Some people writing in these blogs are genuinely looking for work. Apparently, you read them, and perhaps others looking for work want to contact companies who are hiring. We are hiring! We have freight to move and a customer base to back it up. You can PM me anytime or just use the provided email address. We would love to bring you aboard. Thanks for the post!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What do you mean, Spam? Some people writing in these blogs are genuinely looking for work. Apparently, you read them, and perhaps others looking for work want to contact companies who are hiring. We are hiring! We have freight to move and a customer base to back it up. You can PM me anytime or just use the provided email address. We would love to bring you aboard. Thanks for the post!

OK, first and foremost, you have been and are continuing to spamming here. Please stop doing it. You've probably thought to yourself, "OMG I cannot believe recruiters aren't recruiting here!" Trust me, you have not just stumbled upon a vast untapped recruiting gold mine. There are several reasons active recruiting is not allowed in the forums.

Second, you're spaming in a forum which is moderated by, among others, a guy named John Mueller, Safety Director of Premium Transport Logistics. That's not the smartest career move I've ever seen. Ballzy, tho, I'll give you that.

Maybe you should change your user name to "regretz". <snort>

Now that we have that out of the way, clearly, without question, you have very little Internet forum experience and knowledge (that's the only reason we haven't killed you and eaten you already). These are not blogs. These are forums. There's a world wide web of a difference between them. The term "blog" is a portmanteau of "web log", which is a personal journal posted to the Web, usually by a single individual, although in some rare cases a small group of people. It's like a public diary. Welcome to the Internet.

An Internet forum, which is what this is, is an online discussion site that evolved from Usenet Newsgroups where people hold conversations on various topics. Some forums allow advertising and allow people looking to find work, but we don't allow that here on the forums at EO. We have advertising space for recruiting (have you not seen them? They're, like, everywhere), as well as the Classifieds sections where drivers and owners can seek each other out. Posting message after message about how PTL is looking for drivers is advertising spam, and is expressly forbidden by the Code of Conduct which you read and agreed to when you signed up here. Here's a refresher of the pertinent sections. Use them well.

8. Spamming is prohibited.
Spam is considered to be repetitive posting of the same topic again and again or nonsensical posts that have no substance and are often designed to annoy other forum users. Posts of this nature are not conducive to the community and are unwelcome. - Posting an identical topic in more than one forum is considered spam. - Sending any commercial message via the private message (PM) feature of the forum will also be considered as spamming.

15. Posting Advertisements.
This is a forum of information and idea exchanging, so unauthorized advertisements are not allowed in this venue. A member may answer another member's question about their own business, however, blatant unauthorized advertising or solicitations of or for business is not acceptable. It is acceptable for members to mention services or product as long as the information is germane to the topic and is not a blatant advertisement. Members may use their signature space to promote personal projects of interest to other members at the administrators' discretion. If you are unsure whether your post is appropriate, please contact one of the administrators.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Where's Chef when you need him? We could have Turtle soup with bits of Otter (Otto) meat. Have Layout Shooter bring some duck and perch. Sounds like a wild game dinner to me. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And I was being sarcastic.
Actually, I was being sarcastic, you were being sardonic. There's a difference. Sarcasm is a contemptuous ironic statement. You were being mockingly derisive, which is sardonic.