Hurricane Irma

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How exactly do we come up with damage estimates for these storms BEFORE they're even over? Feels like these events are turning into money grabs ..

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app
They know infrastructure, building, and home appraisal values, at least ballpark figures, by zip codes.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Insurance Adjuster: So .. Mr Rodriguez, please tell me again .. exactly how did your vehicle wind up on AIA?
Mr Rodriguez: Ahhhh ... I dunno ... I'm not sure .... my wife thinks it just floated down there on it's own.
Insurance Adjuster: Floated? On it's own? .... 36 BLOCKS!?!?
Mr Rodriguez: Ahhhh ..... maybe someone stole it!?

HEY! It can happen!

Insurance Adjuster: So .. Mr Rodriguez, please tell me again .. exactly how did your vehicle wind up on AIA?
Mr Rodriguez: Ahhhh ... I dunno ... I'm not sure .... my wife thinks it just floated down there on it's own.
Insurance Adjuster: Floated? On it's own? .... 36 BLOCKS!?!?
Mr Rodriguez: Ahhhh ..... maybe someone stole it!?

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
FLORIDA PEEPS!
ADVICE EMPTY YOUR DISHWASHER AND PUT ANYTHING YOU WANT TO PRESERVE IN THERE. It's waterproof and secured to cabinets so it's more likely to survive a storm.
FACT CHECK: During a Hurricane, Should You Store Valuables in the Dishwasher?
Just one of the many reasons I won't use Facebook. <snort>

I really liked the part about "secured to cabinets" reasoning.

The picture below shows the famous "The Last House Standing" in Gilchrist, TX on the Bolivar Peninsula, after Hurricane Ike. It was built explicitly to withstand a Cat 5 hurricane. The other 200 homes were not. Their dishwashers were securely secured to the kitchen cabinets, tho.

The owner lost his previous home 3 years earlier on the same lot to Hurricane Rita. A retired electrical engineer, he had a Galveston engineering firm oversee the rebuild. The house sits on 14-foot steel column stilts that are secured 20 feet into the ground and raises the ground floor 22 feet above sea level.

It should be noted that Hurricane Ike storm surge ruined every kitchen appliance in the house, including the dishwasher.

They successfully protected important pictures and other valuables inside several waterproof Pelican cases.

iJVB7wb.jpg
I just had a new gas water heater installed and to bring it up to code they had to secure it to the garage walls with earthquake straps. Now my thought is if we ever did get an earthquake of any significance here in Vegas what the heck good would those straps do if the walls are all shifted? Just wondering. :rolleyes: !!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
well we all know insurance adjusters are always on the high side by at least 20%...just look at the difference of your auto policy...between what the shop will do it for insured and uninsured..
health insurance same way....the insured always pay a portion for the uninsured..

just give me my claim money and I'll do it myself and pocket a few bucks...