Hurricane Irma

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
i-forgot-my-charger-nightly-massevacuations-as-hurricane-targets-u-s-4639194.png

Reactions: Turtle and ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
FLORIDA PEEPS!
ADVICE EMPTY YOUR DISHWASHER AND PUT ANYTHING YOU WANT TO PRESERVE IN THERE. It's waterproof and secured to cabinets so it's more likely to survive a storm.
FACT CHECK: During a Hurricane, Should You Store Valuables in the Dishwasher?
Just one of the many reasons I won't use Facebook. <snort>

I really liked the part about "secured to cabinets" reasoning.

The picture below shows the famous "The Last House Standing" in Gilchrist, TX on the Bolivar Peninsula, after Hurricane Ike. It was built explicitly to withstand a Cat 5 hurricane. The other 200 homes were not. Their dishwashers were securely secured to the kitchen cabinets, tho.

The owner lost his previous home 3 years earlier on the same lot to Hurricane Rita. A retired electrical engineer, he had a Galveston engineering firm oversee the rebuild. The house sits on 14-foot steel column stilts that are secured 20 feet into the ground and raises the ground floor 22 feet above sea level.

It should be noted that Hurricane Ike storm surge ruined every kitchen appliance in the house, including the dishwasher.

They successfully protected important pictures and other valuables inside several waterproof Pelican cases.

iJVB7wb.jpg

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Starting to look like a ghetto around here with all the boarded up houses...

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
FLORIDA PEEPS!
ADVICE EMPTY YOUR DISHWASHER AND PUT ANYTHING YOU WANT TO PRESERVE IN THERE. It's waterproof and secured to cabinets so it's more likely to survive a storm.
FACT CHECK: During a Hurricane, Should You Store Valuables in the Dishwasher?
Just one of the many reasons I won't use Facebook. <snort>

I really liked the part about "secured to cabinets" reasoning.

The picture below shows the famous "The Last House Standing" in Gilchrist, TX on the Bolivar Peninsula, after Hurricane Ike. It was built explicitly to withstand a Cat 5 hurricane. The other 200 homes were not. Their dishwashers were securely secured to the kitchen cabinets, tho.

The owner lost his previous home 3 years earlier on the same lot to Hurricane Rita. A retired electrical engineer, he had a Galveston engineering firm oversee the rebuild. The house sits on 14-foot steel column stilts that are secured 20 feet into the ground and raises the ground floor 22 feet above sea level.

It should be noted that Hurricane Ike storm surge ruined every kitchen appliance in the house, including the dishwasher.

They successfully protected important pictures and other valuables inside several waterproof Pelican cases.

iJVB7wb.jpg
I actually read the comments on FB to know it was bogus...:p.....yeah the attach to other cabinets was a hoot....LOL

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Onion just isn't as inventive and creative as the NYT or the Washington Post these days.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Southernmost Point Cam in Key West.

Every now and then you might see someone drive by, or even walk up to the marker and take a picture.

Yeah, those people are gonna die.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's only going to get worse.

Attachments

• TatteredWealthyIsabellineshrike.webm
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: Ragman

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Insurance Adjuster: So .. Mr Rodriguez, please tell me again .. exactly how did your vehicle wind up on AIA?
Mr Rodriguez: Ahhhh ... I dunno ... I'm not sure .... my wife thinks it just floated down there on it's own.
Insurance Adjuster: Floated? On it's own? .... 36 BLOCKS!?!?
Mr Rodriguez: Ahhhh ..... maybe someone stole it!?

irma.jpg

Reactions: ntimevan and Turtle

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How exactly do we come up with damage estimates for these storms BEFORE they're even over? Feels like these events are turning into money grabs ..

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app