How's Business Recently?

M

maranatha7

Would like to know how the current economic condition is having an impact on the expedited freight business.:D:D:D

Big Al
ex Roberts Express & ConWay Now

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
Well, speaking only for myself, Ford freight has all but disappeared. NLMI freight has acquired the same status. Relatively non-existent. On the plus side, I've had time to learn to juggle and ride a uni-cycle, so maybe I have a future with the Barnum and Bailey organization!

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ford freight has disappeared?

Friday, Oct 17 I got 2 different loads going to Ford in Claycomo, MO out of El Paso. Then, in the early evening, I got a load going to Ford/Penske in Laredo for a Saturday delivery.

I'm not so sure Ford has dried up just yet. That was 3 loads in 7 hours from El Paso.

R

rangell218

speaking for myself freight is slow with tri-state, i am sure evryone will have a diffrent opinion on that, they have loads but they are the new panther putting on every truck that comes knocking or having a class every week still have have trucks sitting, I say again my opinion. which I dont understand I drove for a company that has 40+ trucks on with tri-state every week there trucks made 5000+ load offers comming in good, good runs, have talked with other drivers with owners with many trucks same thing, got my own truck doing about 3100 week before fuel. so I quess freight is good if you have many trucks (again for the people that live on this site and that brings up another point how can someone make any money or get any sleep hauling loads and still have 1000s of posts, this is my opinion ) anyway things are slow for most of us.

moose

Veteran Expediter
(again for the people that live on this site and that brings up another point how can someone make any money or get any sleep hauling loads and still have 1000s of posts, this is my opinion ) anyway things are slow for most of us.
you'll be amassed what else i can Do when my CD is driving...

To the Point ,
We still getting Ford loads ,and So NLM
we are making good income ,tho'w we are having a hard time getting back to where the freight is .once we get a good paying load going out.
looks to me that within the freight area , rates are good , once you go out , there is too mach competition ...

Moose.

Last edited:
R

rangell218

moose ur my hero, never thought of that, what else can you do dont tell me you type in your sleep.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther has been keeping me very busy despite the loss of Caterpillar. It appears they have found a new and diverse customer base. I believe this is better than latching on to a few large customers. September and so far October have been good months for me.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Our income is half what it was last year for the last three months. Lots of sitting,

I may be going BK, but at least I have plenty of time to play World of Warcraft.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Well, from the independent side of things, it is slower than I would like, but I've had to get more creative. I'm currently on my way to Orlando (yeah, crazy taking freight into Florida) with a couple LTL loads on board. One had an ok rate on it and combined with the other I'm getting enough money on it to deadhead back to Georgia if I have to. It's been a couple weeks since I did anything automotive, unless that one to Bluebird in Ft. Valley last weeks counts. Are bus plants automotive? I've probably done more LTL in the last few weeks than I was doing before.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther has been keeping me very busy despite the loss of Caterpillar. It appears they have found a new and diverse customer base. I believe this is better than latching on to a few large customers. September and so far October have been good months for me.

Whats with these carriers? WHY does it take the loss of a major contract before these slackers (sales) to get off their butts and get a "New and Diverse Customer Base"?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say Panther got into heavy diversification back when they started Elite. Not really seeing much auto freight unless it is off the border.
As far as Cat, I don't believe Panther is the exclusive carrier, but we did a load last week for them.
As for business, 3 quarters of the year so far are showing a higher revenue and length of haul, but lower load count. The higher revenue is mainly attributed to higher FSC's and broker loads.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
FedEx Custom Critical contractors can easily answer this "How's business recently" question by checking their numbers on the company's Extranet. It does not provide granular information about the profitability of your business, but it does provide a good indication of business activity.

A quick check of our 2008 year-to-date numbers compared to the same period in 2007 shows the following:

- Run count is essentially the same, 106 runs in 2008, 109 in 2007.

- Acceptance percentage has dropped slightly but remains satisfactory in our carrier's eyes, 68.4% in 2007, 73.7% in 2008.

- Total miles driven has dropped by about 20,000 and almost all of that is loaded miles.

- Average length of haul has dropped by 20%.

- Total revenue has decreased by 13%.

Looking at these numbers and our expereinces this year, the difference is simple to explain. We have not done as many long runs this year as we did last year. Those long runs pay $5,000 to $7,000 a pop. But for a few of those, our 2008 numbers would rival 2007's.

Have the long runs disappered? We don't think so. Friends of ours say they are getting at least some long runs. Not indicated in the numbers is a significant behavior change on our part this year. We have gone home more, and gone out of service more often than last year.

While the in-service numbers for 2007 and 2008 appear to be the same, the out-of-service behavior is different. This year, we are going out of service more often, for shorter times, and in the middle of the week when freight is moving. That is to fly or drive Diane home for multiple dental appointments (braces). We have also gone out of service for things we did not do last year (football game, family events, carrier training, truck driving championships competition).

Going out of service that way "breaks the streak" so to speak. One load does not lead easily to another when you interrupt the streak by going out of service. And we are not as well positioned to snag the occasional great load that turns a good month into a great month.

The economy has has an effect, I believe. But I am unable to say exactly what it is given our behavior difference in 2008.

Based on our numbers, I am not able to say that business is down at our carrier. Again, but for a few long runs, we would be doing as well in 2008 as we did in 2007. Not being positioned for such runs like we were in 2007 may have more to do with the difference than the economy or changes at our carrier.

While 2008 is unlikely to turn out as strong as 2007, we are still delighted to be in the business, still making money (as in profits in the bank) still enjoying life and work on the road, and still know of no other place we would rather be.

Spooked by economic changes, we recently shopped other carriers and seriously examined other alternatives. As has been the case for five years, we continue to maintain the informed opinion that we are exactly where we need to be to achieve our stated financial and lifestyle goals.

Last edited:

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Overall my runs are not so many long hauls. I'm doing more shorties but also getting a few with backhauls as the company has definitely gotten into the diversified customer base. Now we haul almost anything. Moulds are good as one skid, expedited delivery and a lot of times a return load. It's a business that requires immediate service. Our sales dept has really gone out and looked at every type of business out there. Even have an air filter company doing rush loads (full stright truck loads). Not a lot of weight but profitable.
So things are for me getting better.
Rob