Howdy, It's Been a Long Time

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
It has probably been two years or so since we have made an appearence around here. My wife Wendy (she was one of the original mods on EO) and I came in off the road about 5 years ago, and call us crazy but we are considering doing it all over again. :+

After being away from the industry for so long, we are sure there have been some big changes that we need to know about, before making any final decision. We are hoping you can help us out with this.

One of the first things I can think of is getting some info about Fleet Owners we might hook up with. I actualy remembered there where a lot of good things said about Housworth Trucking, but I just did a search and found the sad news of his passing awhile back. Would anyone know if his company is still operating, and if it is, does it still have the same good reputation for dealing with their contract drivers? How about other Good Owners to work WITH?

In the past we ran for Roberts Express (Now FedEx Custom Critical for the real Newbies :) ), Panther, C&M, and Landstar. We did pretty good at all of them except for Panther. We never did seem to get into the flow of things in the time we spent there. We have been both Contract Drivers and also owned our own truck, so we have a pretty good idea of the differences between the two. We have also experienced the special treatment given to the trucks of the larger fleet owners, and would prefer to work with someone with more than 2 or 3 trucks leased on at 2 or 3 different companies.

We both still have our Class A CDL's (Looking for a "D" unit ride though) with clean driving records, and can pass a drug test with no concerns. We also have been driving commercial vehicles (City Bus, as well as School Bus) so I would hope this would keep us qualified on this issue, with at least most of the companies.

Well this is turning into a novel, so I will cut it off here. We would like to here everyones opinion of our situation, and information about the questions I have asked. Let us hear it, even if you think we are crazy.

Kevin

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hi
Glad you guys are doing well. You have been MIA for awhile. Not sure on the Houseworths as Ed passed away. I have a team that use to drive for them 4 years ago. I believe all of their equipment was sold, but I don't know that for sure.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you read the free Classifieds looking for fleet owners, keep an eye open for brothers Tim and Pat Hopkins in Columbus, Ohio. They are highly regarded in the Open Forum by other drivers who drove for them. Of the five owners Diane and I contracted with, Tim Hopkins was the best.

The Hopkins brothers run FedEx White Glove trucks, reefer and dry box. With the expediting market softening and the regular winter slow months just around the corner, you would be wise to get into a White Glove truck if you can and make yourself eligible to haul as many types of freight as you can.

Since you are not buying a truck of your own, you have no capital investment issues to worry about. You might as well go for a high-end, special purpose truck that someone else pays for over a more basic general purpose truck.

From an ownership point of view, there are good cases made for both kinds of trucks. From a driver's point of view, it seems wise to put yourself where a wide variety of freight can be hauled; namely FedEx Custom Critical White Glove Services.

On the flip side, if you prefer a general-purpose truck, and creature comforts are not important to you, try to find one run by an owner with his or her own authority who has contracts in place that can keep such trucks running at good rates.

Again, the expediting market is softening. It will likely get softer after Santa makes his 2006 run.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
On the flip side, if you prefer a general-purpose truck, and creature comforts are not important to you, try to find one run by an owner with his or her own authority who has contracts in place that can keep such trucks running at good rates
========================================================
What makes you think that folks running their own freight are running trucks without "creature comforts"?
As to whether it is wise to run a white glove truck? That depends. You are locked into only frieght that the carrier gives you. I think there are many other options that are just as good if not better.
Based on the latest issues with Fedex, I believe it would be "wise" to look at ALL of the opportunities, rather than one.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
WendyCal and Kev. Nice to see you back. I remember we met up once at the Phillips 66 T/S on I 65 north of Louisville. I think you guys were driving for C/M at the time. Unfortunately rates are going south due to competition but you can still earn a living in that Bare Bones truck that has no creature comforts.

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Hey Rich, Dave and Phil

Great to see you guys are still around.

Thanks for your responses. From what I have been reading the 2000-2001 period was considered a terrible time for expediting, well seeing that was when we got off the road (didn't seem to bad for us) things should be great now.

The biggest snafu we are facing in the return to expediting debate right now is something I never thought would be an issue, the totally un-safe and un-workable for us, as I understand them Logging rules. We are going to have to get more info from people on how they are working around them. We are not going to be risking it all to force ourselfs to be behind the wheel for 20 hours. For all the problems the old rules had, they sure seemed to be more safety orientated. I do like that reset rule though.

Phil, I went and checked out your truck page, sure sounds like it turned out nice, but at 6'4" I would be hitting my head in the cab area :7 If I remember correctly you were still in the design/build mode at it sure sounded like you put the work into getting it speced out right for the way you wanted it.

What ever happened to Weave, I haven't noticed any post from him on here lately?

Kevin

Former "D" unit Driver and Owner Operator with my wife WendyCal.
Possible future Driver of a "C" or "D" unit with the same wife.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Having contracted with five owners over, what, two years, one could certainly tell the difference between high end & basic general trucks, but the implication that FedEx Custom Critical is the only wise choice, and the only way to drive with creature comforts, is outrageous! Sounds like there's FedEx CC, and then there's everyone else, in a distant second place - in one man's opinion, anyway.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
If I read this post correctly you have been with five contractors in two years. Besides not being too dependable, I would also have a tendency to disregard any opinion

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I wish I knew why my posts are incomplete. continue

any opinion you might have based on your lack of responsibility and no commitment to contracts. I don't mean to

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
>Weave left EO some time ago. I sent you a PM as too why.

Well that is a bummer, I seem to remember he was leaving C&M for some reason, but on good terms.

Former "D" unit Driver and Owner Operator with my wife WendyCal.
Possible future Driver of a "C" or "D" unit with the same wife.