How To Quote

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This was something I wrote for another site a while ago.

OK to put this to rest and because it is a sunny 90 degree day where I'm at and I am bored on the balcony watching the waves crash, I figure I would write something for the 'How To' Section.

I been asked a lot of times “How do I do quotes in my quotes in my posts?” which are followed up with another question “How do I do multiple quotes in my posts?”

Now before I show you how, I want to explain that the system looks at each post and filters it, we call it parsing. It looks for certain character to see what's inside and how it is to display the information, one of which is a bracket - [ ]

These brackets replace the HTML code arrows (< >) that would normally surround the code that is used on the World Wide Web. There are a lot of reasons why, hacking into the forum is one important reason for the change and this helps prevent having the Forum messed up.

With most HTML code, there is a opening commend quote and always a closing command /quote

These two elements have to be there always with most of the HTML code, there are exceptions but not with quotes – open the quote and then close it.

I won't get into any more details how the back end works, but will say once you learn the basic quote, you can do a lot of other things to make you posts fancy – I will add more to the 'How To' section later on.

A SIMPLE QUOTE

OK So I'm reading this great post from this guy Plato;

"Until philosophers rule as kings or those who are now called kings and leading men genuinely and adequately philosophise, that is, until political power and philosophy entirely coincide, while the many natures who at present pursue either one exclusively are forcibly prevented from doing so, cities will have no rest from evils,... nor, I think, will the human race.”

This is a great post from Plato, so I want to take a section out of his post and comment on it and I add the ubiquitous quotes to the post after I cut and paste it into the post box.

The results are as follows;

“while the many natures who at present pursue either one exclusively are forcibly prevented from doing so, cities will have no rest from evils,”

Right on Plato, man it seems that we need more philosophers in politics instead of politicians.

Now the thing is members may pass this up, quotes are boring and you don't get the effect that one needs to get it done.

So I write the following (this is what I would type if it was a post box with Open Bracket or Close Bracket instead of [ or ] respectfully)

Open Bracket quote Close bracket

while the many natures who at present pursue either one exclusively are forcibly prevented from doing so, cities will have no rest from evils,

Open Bracket /quote Close Bracket

Right on Plato, man it seems that we need more philosophers in politics instead of politicians.

Which is turns out to be like this;

while the many natures who at present pursue either one exclusively are forcibly prevented from doing so, cities will have no rest from evils,

See the difference?

So now that you understand the basic quote, here is one more step you can add to the quote.

As someone was reading the post, they asked in another post

Who's said that?

I can add to a quote command who said it, it is simple.

When the command is made and the server finds it, it looks for a few other items in that command, one is an equal sign. This means that anything added behind the equal sign and before the close bracket will appear as Originally Posted by

Open Bracket quote=Plato Close bracket

Which ends up to be like this;

Plato said:

Now the important thing is, you do not have to put the equal sign or anything else in the close command.

Let's take this a step further, OK?

There is one other thing that you can add to the quote command, reference to the post that you are quoting. Many phpbb software derivatives has the quote button that adds the quote command with the name of the poster you are quoting and the post it came from. This is a great thing, most use that but what if you want to take the quote from another thread and allow people to look at that thread? You add a semicolon and the post number.

Here is what I added to my example;

Open Bracket quote=Plato;123456 Close bracket

I added ;123456

This will give me a little symbol next to the name, see it?

MULTIPLE QUOTES

Multiple quotes are simple too they just take a little bit of planning and some fancy cut and paste skills.

When I would reply to a MISTAKESlong quote, as I did in XXXXXXXXXXX, I used multiple quotes to tackle the subject material and to keep the readers interested in what I had to say.

I will explain my steps;

I cut the text from the posted and paste it into my post box.

I then divide the text into sections, sometimes if it is like like XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, then I put it into word and turn off the spell check.

The I build one open quote with the posters name and copy that.

I go through all the sections I just divided up and add the open quotes, when I get to the bottom, I add the close quotes.

It is that simple.

MISTAKES

The mistakes people make is simply leaving out a bracket, not having them at all or not closing the quote.

Just take a few seconds out and see if there is an opening and a closing for the quotes and above all make sure that quote is spelled right

Q U O T E.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Greg, I got my class about a month ago from a Forum member. Now the question I have is how do you "rename a link" It often times shows up like this "Read more here" and it directs you to a web site.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Now the question I have is how do you "rename a link" It often times shows up like this "Read more here" and it directs you to a web site.

That's a bit more.

You have a link - expeditersonline dot com

You want it to appear as Expediter's greatest site

but you get ExpeditersOnline.com Expedited Trucking Owner Operator Careers and Truck Sales instead.

So here is what I do.

I place the link using the link button
createlink.gif
into the text then hit preview button after I'm done typing.

Then I edit to what I want it to be, starting in the middle of the text.

The best expediter's site Expediter's Greatest Site

Hope that makes sense. Turtle or someone else may have a better way but it is a habit I have used for a number of years.