How to Interview the Owner you are Contemplating

Blackbeard

Seasoned Expediter
Tips for Choosing Your First Private (not company-owned) Truck Owner:

1. Do they have a contract with the driver? Do they sign it? Will they send it to you before you arrive to pick up the truck? What are they providing and paying for and what are you expected to pay for? Does your pay split include paying for fuel and do you get 100% of the fuel surcharge and tolls? Or do you get a split after those items are removed from the pay?

2. How often does the Owner expect the driver to call them? Is there a policy or agreement in place that if you need them, they will call you back within a certain timeframe?

3. Will the Driver make the decisions about which loads to choose and which loads to decline? And if not in the beginning, what is the length of time they approximate you will have to call in every load offer?

4. Will you attend a Company Orientation? Who pays to get you there, where do you stay while there and who pays for that? Uniforms? LogBooks, Seals, Permits?

5. If the vehicle needs other certifications, who pays to get the vehicle there? And who pays if you have to be out of the truck for an extended period of time?

6. Is the accident deductible policy spelled out?

7. Does an accountant or payroll company handle paying you?

8. Who pays for deadhead miles? Is there a limit?

9. Mechanical Repairs: does the owner expect you to perform repairs or do they have a service garage they prefer?

10. Maintenance: will the owner show you their maintenance records on the vehicle?

11. Inspections: Will the owner show you any and all DOT or company inspection reports?

12. Is the word "micromanage" in their ad or in the intial phone interview? As in "we don't micromanage" - this is a warning.

13. If the owner requires you to have the truck washed monthly do they expect you to pay for it out of pocket and then reimburse you? How long between reimbursements?

14. Will they provide you with a contact name and number at the firm they are leased to?

15. Do they share horror stories about other drivers they have had and do you take notes as to their pet peeves?

16. Termination. In the event of a change of mind, how is the "divorce" handled? Where do you return the truck? What happens to your owed pay? Is there a deposit on the truck and how was it taken out and how do you get it back? Is there a waiting period to be rehired within the same firm with a different owner?

17. What happens if the owner refuses to maintain the vehicle or DOES NOT HAVE THE FUNDS TO PAY FOR REPAIRS and your truck is unsafe or unable to pass a DOT inspection? What if your truck is redlined? Who pays for your transfer out of the truck or time spent waiting for it to be brought up to operating condition.

18. Downtime due to truck issues. Are you paid? If the truck is in a garage, do you pay for your motel while you wait? How many hours is considered "downtime?"

19. Home Time: How long are you asked to stay out before you can go home? How long can you be at home? Can you deadhead there and how many miles are allowed?

20. If you have two owners, who will you communicate with? Do they communicate with each other? Are they working as Drivers also or behind a desk? Have they or are they performing the job you are being asked to perform? :eek:

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
Very helpfull, thanks. I am just about to sign on with a Panther owner, and looking over the contract, there is no mention of hotel pay if truck breaks down and a couple of other items.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
I believe there are a few more thoughts about this as well.

* How many trucks are in the owner's fleet?
* What is their driver turnover and what do they think the reason is?
* How long have they been contracted with the current company?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think you forgot the biggest two. References and reputation.
I always advise someone to get a few numbers of past and present drivers to make a assessment. That by itself will give you a wealth of valuable information. We have been at this a good while and the decent reputation and proven results of the fleet owner shouldn't be overlooked.
There are some good ones out there, one just has to be patient in finding them.
Why? How that fleet owner interacts with whatever carrier has a direct link to your future revenue. Also be mindful in that some are part-time fleet owners whether out driving themselves or working a second job somewhere.
When one says be wary of "micromanaging" I think that is somewhat subjective. I supply some of the loads to my trucks, so I do stay in contact with them. I think a lot of that just depends on the skill and experience level of the team. If someone hires someone with no experience, I think there would be a lot of phone calls until someone becomes acclimated to everything.
Good topic that should be visited every so often.

gregsr40

Seasoned Expediter
These are some very good points for us new driver wantabes.I am going to start to look at some O/O in the near future.I will have my CDL in March and I hope to start driving soon after.I was hoping to find a list of ?s to ask O/O.This is a great start.

I want to say thank-you to all of you for all of the help that I have gotton from here.

Thanks and drive safe.

Greg

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
Excellant input from the above. My wife and I asked just about the same questions to owners.

Regarless how simple the question might sound.....ask

Best of luck to you