How to buy a truck, the right way

InIdaho

Seasoned Expediter
Located a truck offered by a private seller I may want to purchase. Both are in another state.

For truck evaluation: I extracted the bottom recommendations from one of Greg’s posts on EO.

“First find a licensed experienced mechanic you can trust”

“The second thing is go through and have the chassis checked, I recommend VisCheck above others because it will have a report that you get to keep.”

“The third thing is having the engine Dyno-ed and the ECM dumped and printed. You can have the mechanic explain to you what is in the dump.”

“The fourth thing is the oil analysis, which will show you abnormal readings – you do not have to have a serious of reading and a base line to see copper or zinc highs in the report that tell you problems.”

I would guess its possible the mechanic might do the VisCheck of the chassis, the Dyno checks, the ECM dump and the oil analysis as well

1) How do I find a good licensed mechanic in a state in which I don’t reside?

2) How do I find a VisCheck capable shop or dealership, I checked the VisCheck website for any link to VisCheck facilities but found none.

3) Are there specific oil tests that should be done? Is one of the 20-$30 test/kits good enough? Can or should the automatic fluid be tested as well? Can these be done quickly?

4) What should I expect it might cost in time and money?

5) This will be a cash deal. How should the actual purchase be handled? How can be sure of getting a clear title? There is probably a lender who is owed money and has a lien on the truck. Might there be other encumbrances to the title as well?

6) Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You can have an oil analysis done at any Speedco in about 20 minutes. Cost you about $20.00.

I would look for a medium size repair shop that does service only. Look for a place that has mechanics that look professional and are ASCME guys.I always liked shops that work on a variety of equipment from school buses to Class 8's and all in between. Explain to the service manager what you are looking for and be prepared to pay about 2 hours of labor.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
1) How do I find a good licensed mechanic in a state in which I don’t reside?
I really don’t know. I would first start with a dealership. I know that even if I buy a vehicle out of state, I am up front with the seller that it will be my way on checking out the vehicle or no sale.

Oh and what Rich said about finding a mechanic.

2) How do I find a VisCheck capable shop or dealership, I checked the VisCheck website for any link to VisCheck facilities but found none.
I know that Stopes in Indy does them, Toledo spring also – just call them, 1-866-847-8721

3) Are there specific oil tests that should be done? Is one of the 20-$30 test/kits good enough? Can or should the automatic fluid be tested as well? Can these be done quickly?
I would use Blackstone, go to their site and give them a call. If it has an automatic, then yes. It can take a week or more but ask the question when you call them. By the way, the kit from Blackstone is free, the processing is about $25 to $45.

4) What should I expect it might cost in time and money?
I paid $350 for my truck, I justified the cost by the fact that I need a dependable vehicle to make money. I did not want something that would fall part in 20,000 miles after I buy it. Time, make time. It took me two days to get all the stuff done, one for the checkout and one for the transaction - not including travel time.

5) This will be a cash deal. How should the actual purchase be handled? How can be sure of getting a clear title? There is probably a lender who is owed money and has a lien on the truck. Might there be other encumbrances to the title as well?
First thing is I would make it a traceable deal, check or bank draft – never cash. If there is a lean on the truck, try to do the transaction at the bank that the loan was made at and make sure that you get a release of the lean.

Oh and you can always have the title checked by the state you are purchasing it in, or should. Go to their DMV and ask or call them.

6) Anything else I should consider?
Yea, one really important thing, get the attitude that a truck is a tool – don’t get emotional over it. Get the mindset that you can and will walk away from any deal if something does not seem right or the seller says one thing and you find out the opposite. There are more trucks chasing owners than people chasing trucks.

Oh and one last thing, I don’t care what others say.. Buying a truck is not like buying a car. Many people go into this without thinking or blindly trusting people. Nothing wrong with trust but this is a business, not a game unless you are an RVing expediter. The point is that there is a lot of pure junk out on the road and for sale, some of it is really unsafe. For the record, mine looks like hell by some standards but I know it is safe and I made sure it would be a dependable vehicle that I can make money with.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Very good points in which I would agree with. I would confirm with the lender if ther is one as to what the balance and any liens are prior to a purchase. The release date of the title is important as well. You may be ready to go to work and then realize it takes them three weeks to process everything.
Never assume something.
As for oil changes, confirm the age of the existing oil if possible. Doing a test on recently changed oil accomplishes nothing.
I would also find out what the vehicle is REALLY worth.
Some of the prices on used equipment are a joke.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
One last thing, want the process to go really smooth? Become a member at OOIDA, they can guide you thru everything you asked for. The most important is the clear Title, without that you have nothing. You would rather have a bad Engine, rather than a Title that would be Clouded!

I purchased my Truck with their assitance, NO PROBLEMS at ALL!

Value I paid $900 more than its true Value, but since it was in my back Yard and it was exactly what I wanted? I was happy.