How qualifications differ

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I find it odd that different companies have so different qualifications. I've had companies tell me it doesn't matter if I can't remember a date or two because it's only for the file. Then other companies, like Landstar, want to crawl up your colon with a flashlight and have a look around. I guess Load-1 is like that, too. Most companies, afaik, are somewhere in the middle. What gives?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
The simple answer to your question is insurance. It all comes down to their exposure and liability.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I find it odd that different companies have so different qualifications. I've had companies tell me it doesn't matter if I can't remember a date or two because it's only for the file. Then other companies, like Landstar, want to crawl up your colon with a flashlight and have a look around. I guess Load-1 is like that, too. Most companies, afaik, are somewhere in the middle. What gives?

Awww...I am probab;y one of the worse at remembering any kind of dates pertaining to anything..I don't a list of them either...It I need to give a date for something, its always an approximate..i can promise you never accurate...And that is exactly how i filled out the paper work at Load-1....

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I didnt have any problems with Load One either. I do despise filling out an application for employment when I am a contractor. All companies do that and personally, I think it exposes them to the IRS employer vs contractor issues. Its just my opinion obviously. Seems like an easy fix to me.

As for remembering dates. I hate it too and mine are not exact, but close. One thing I try to do is save the last app I filled out. That makes for a pretty easy update on the new one. Not any different than keeping an updated resume'.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Awww...I am probab;y one of the worse at remembering any kind of dates pertaining to anything..I don't a list of them either...It I need to give a date for something, its always an approximate..i can promise you never accurate...And that is exactly how i filled out the paper work at Load-1....

But what happens when they call your previous companies? All your info looks wrong now.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Many qualification items are required under DOT Regulations, employee or contractor, does not matter.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Well its never been an issue...and i am not talking about only this industry...any date i put on any form is going to be approx..and i tell them that...its not a big deal....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine are always estimates was.no problem at load1,.curious what gave you the impression it was.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
John, I inderstand that it's a technical issue... but, I don't trust the IRS to overlook a technical error...if they deemed at as an error. Obviously they don't or haven't had a problem with it so far.

I think it's just one of those things that has always been done so everybody accepts it as being correct.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Mine are always estimates was.no problem at load1,.curious what gave you the impression it was.

I talked to a former Load-1 guy who said they're like Landstar in that regard, calling every one of your past contacts and verifying dates.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I talked to a former Load-1 guy who said they're like Landstar in that regard, calling every one of your past contacts and verifying dates.

I ca tell you with 100% certainty that Load 1 never call anyone of my references or past employers or carriers i contracted with or other businesses that myself of any of my other businesses do businesswith and that includes creditors...

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I ca tell you with 100% certainty that Load 1 never call anyone of my references or past employers or carriers i contracted with or other businesses that myself of any of my other businesses do businesswith and that includes creditors...

Huh, strange. That's what this guy was saying, and then I've had some that do nothing but file whatever you give them. Then, there's Landstar... I guess it's all the government contracting they do.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They do verify because they can be picky, you should see the waiting list. Making smart business choices is one thing but it doesn't go as far as being anal about dates and such. Some companies have such a huge turnover all they care about is passing a drug test. It seems to work well for load1 the turnover is way smaller than what most companies experience.

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter

Well, I hope they did .... Fed's require that.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not sure what your point is. The thread title states different qualifications but then you make a statement about which carriers check work history and such. Those are 2 distinct things When you leased to a company did you ask to see what other drivers are making, or did you just go by what you were told?
I asked to see proof, and was shown. My previous carrier was also contacted so my expedite experience could be verified. It's a two way street.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I forgot dates when I filled out my app for landstar, i was close on the months and years. Because I left landstar after 14 years and then went too 3 different companies over the next year and half. Couldn't remember dates and for some reason I didn't care

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
The application thing is a DOT requirement, but if the app spells out that it is an application to sign on as a contractor, everything's good.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Well, I hope they did .... Fed's require that.

Nope, as Amonger said..Not for Cargo Vans....We also aren't required to have a cdl...which the Fed Mandates for what 33,000 lbs and over....but not for vans....All kinds of things we "buttom feeders" get away with that the Fed mandates for the bigger trucks....