How Not to Treat a Prospective Driver

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I couldn't imagine having to call someone to verify every load either. I would expect the type of guidance that says 'don't take a load to this area because there's won't be any loads back', so I wouldn't get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Also, some owners want the drivers to do things a certain way, like only put so much fuel in after a run, or run a certain schedule, things like that. So they do want to maintain some control over their truck and how it operates. I don't think I will ever be truly independent until I own my own truck. And no one has to pay my way back from nowhere, but me.

A good contract will outline some of those things as well. The more "control" an owner has, the blurrier the line gets between employee and ic. I have suggestions and recommendations to give to my drivers, but they are free to do with it as they will. If they don't make the right money, I'm free to take the truck back. As soon as an owner exhibits control over you I would run to another owner or demand they pay you on a w4 and get the real benefits of being an employee.

Why else would you want someone cheating you out of money? Because if your an employee being treated as an ic for tax purposes, that is wrong.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I couldn't imagine having to call someone to verify every load either. I would expect the type of guidance that says 'don't take a load to this area because there's won't be any loads back', so I wouldn't get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Also, some owners want the drivers to do things a certain way, like only put so much fuel in after a run, or run a certain schedule, things like that. So they do want to maintain some control over their truck and how it operates. I don't think I will ever be truly independent until I own my own truck. And no one has to pay my way back from nowhere, but me.

Any owner who wants to limit fuel purchases is underfunded. The schedule is 100% up to you as in independent contractor. Of course take to much time off and they will be looking for a new driver.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are several things that differentiate an employee from an independent contractor. Two of the biggest insofar as expediting is, the owner or carrier cannot dictate to you when to work, where to go or when to be there, and, the ways and means of accomplishing the job. The owner will (or should) give you some guidance if asked. Then again so will anybody here.

But you get to choose whether to take a load or not. If you're on a 60/40 split getting the 60 and paying for fuel, it's totally up to you how much fuel you put in after a load (hint, it's a good idea to go ahead and just fill up after you deliver unless you have more than half a tank).

The other is ways and means. The carrier or owner cannot dictate to you how to secure a load (but you'd better not have a freight claim because of a failure to secure), what route to take, etc.

You as an independent contractor are operating your own business, self-employed in every way that matters, whether you own the truck or not. If leasing (or renting, if you will) the truck from a fleet owner, you are paying him for the use of his truck in order to operate your business. You will need to set aside and pay your own taxes and Social Security, because there won't be any withholding from your settlement check (not a paycheck). Whether you own the truck or not, you do indeed need to take care of it as if it were your own, because it's a rather important tool for your business.

The main thing to deal with is the employee mindset. You have to make most of the decisions, rather than letting someone else make them for you. Once you have that mindset taken care of, the next mindset to work on is patience. OMG you have no idea how much patience you need out here. :D

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think I will ever be truly independent until I own my own truck. And no one has to pay my way back from nowhere, but me.

That right there...you got it!

Before I start this expediting biz, I've worked with much larger entities. Pretty much everything is in order, they have manpower to make sure the orientee has everything that he/she needed to get start. They have checklists and must be followed through. It's a risk management issues.

My company orientation was brief, and in my opinion, was not sufficient. However, it was in this EO forum that I have spent about 3 months reading and learning about the expediting that gave me the head start. First freight was a breeze.

I understand exactly was you are experiencing and it can be pain in the rears, especially when those owners don't have their shirts together.

The truth is, it's pretty much like that out here. Though, it's actually our responsibility to find and fill in those missing informations.

You can find them right in here, the EO forums, keep reading and good luck :)

VTurri

Seasoned Expediter
Larry,

I am sorry you felt the urge to write this post versus contacting us to discuss this issue. By reading your take on what happened it appears there may be some confusion regarding an employee versus an independent contractor. Since you brought up your medical history in this thread, to be specific yes our Occ/Acc carrier declined to cover you. If you would have contacted us directly versus turning to forums and social media I would have suggested that you try to find an Occ/Acc carrier that would bind coverage for you and we would pair you with an open truck when available.

I would also recommend to anyone looking to get into the business, like any other career its best to disclose these things to the fleet owner that hires you and the carrier the truck is leased to, PRIOR to going through the orientation process. We cannot be the only carrier that cannot qualify this driver. Best to be up font with these things! Carriers cannot control insurance companies and who they qualify or when, how and why they disqualify a driver.

Not only did this waste Larry's time, we have invested a week of man hours in orientating the driver and drug testing fees we cannot recoup. As far as safety saying "we don't want you"..we want nothing more than to partner with good owner operators!

Last edited:

VTurri

Seasoned Expediter
I spoke to the two gentlemen from Fusion, and other than the fact that they specifically stated that they did not want anymore vans right now, they both seemed more professional than what was represented in this post. JMHO.

It was great meeting you folks too a the Expo! Glad to see your on the forums continuing your research!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
One can't fault Turri/Fusion for not taking vans. There's already too many vans/Sprinters/cubes out there.
Every day is a struggle.
A struggle for loads & a struggle for rates.
Rock on, Turri!!!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Larry Johns*reviewed*Fusion Transportation Group and Turri Logistics

Aug 2*·*

★★★★★ After a Sprinter owner agreed to hire me to expedite freight with his van, I was asked to go IMMEDIATELY to Brighton, Michigan (70 miles from my Adrian residence)to the Fusion corporate headquarters for orientation on Tuesday and Wednesday. When I arrived, I was then given an employment application to complete and sent to Concentra for a drug screen and blood alcohol test. This concluded my first day of "orientation". On Wednesday I saw a couple of videos on the SMITH System of safe driving, down loaded a couple of phone apps for submitting paperwork and sent home again. Then, since the owner's van was getting serviced, I could not take the mandated driving test to allegedly meet Fusion's insurance requisites, I was told to come back a third day. I made arrangements with the owner to pick up his van (120 miles from my residence) and drive it to Fusion for my driving test. Also, a safety employee informed me that I needed a medical release from my doctor (I had a Chrysler freight door closed onto my head*
10/13 by a negligent fork truck operator). I faxed the release to Fusion the next morning. Then, the HR Manager called me to inform me that my release letter needed to be reworded. I called my doctor and took care of that. They said they would fax the reworded letter to his attention. Then, on my way to pick up the owner's van, the HR Manager called me to inform me that Fusion's workmen's compensation insurance company would not accept me. When I asked the HR Manager for further explanation, he replied, "We (Fusion) do not WANT you."

ANYONE else out there wanted to be treated like that? Also, please save up gasoline money for several unnecessary trips to Brighton, Michigan!

Fusion Transportation Group and Turri LogisticsCargo & Freight

Ahh yes there X Union worker. This'll give you some cognative consternation if you choose to pursue the biz. Hope ya do, should be some interesting reading. I kinda like to hear the union boys squealk.

Way to go Vince!!!!!! I'm sure he was a pleasure to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

VTurri

Seasoned Expediter
Mr. Johns was gracious enough to inform us that he has found a home with another carrier.

I wish him the best of luck!

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to say you should have done your homework, then plan and made better arrangements for transportation and lodging, etc. Most if not all recruiters will tell you the orientation is at least 2-3 days some a whole week before you even see a vehicle.
It is unprofesional to slam any business especialy if you have any contributing factors to the failure of the relationship. As a newbie this makes you look bad and you can easily commit profesional suicide and the concenquences are NO-ONE WILL HIRE YOU (Thunder, lightning and booming voice of God for emphasis.) also, you can open yourself up to liability.

An insurance company will review the owner/s employees, as well as contractors to determin the risk factors in order to protect itself. Most good companies that are reasonably priced are the most conservative on who they bind. As far as the fleet owner, I have to side with him / her.
I have a friend that owns a towing company, He had a driver that drove for him for several years get issued several tickets after a minor wreck. After trying everything he could to satisfy his carrier, his insurance company gave him a simple choice to make, the driver or insurance coverage. Clearly the driver is history. I dont know of any business that will chose a person over the insurance and face the concenquences of not having required coverages.

Try searching the posts here for owner opperator, contractor/ company driver. Also, If you ask in a civil professional mannor most of us can and will help you with tips on how to vett prospective fleet owners without slaming anyone.

Bob Wolf.