How new to buy?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How would a broker know what year your truck is and why would they even care. In the cargo van segment, proper insurance and GVWR seemed to get ignored. Next thing they will require your truck to be yellow.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's 12 American years old. It's not so much the age but the mileage. As long as it has less than 350,000 kilometers on it, you should be good.
29af585130208254d4f7a9ddf8aad3b1.jpg

That's 1,433,000 kms.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ya, sure, convert the darn mileage to kilometers to make it look like a lot. How many kilometers per Imperial Gallon does wreck get?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The carrier I'm working with demands everything legal to a t. The load boards demand all fleet info down to VIN model year and verified insurance, carrier and vehicle and cargo. And a copy of all permits and authority

Funny how you can be honest and still make money

Reactions: TDave

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
There are 3 way's to go buy brand new have whole warranty on unit
You could lease , make sure you get unlimited miles
Buy used and watch miles on unit , make sure you can see maintance paper on unit
If you can't look at it don't buy it
Take a friend with you help look it over

Reactions: brokcanadian

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
Supposedly it's at the load board level. If you're loaded, you've passed already

I think I have my magic answer. I get written proof or no go. Otherwise, I try to save up 20,000 in a separate account and if it gets there I pick a newer van.

As I deadhead home after 2 days in a good area, the rates I've seen going back make me want to smack a Canadian in the back of the head. At least I made 200 more on the way up than usual, and the normal carrier hasn't called me once in 3 days so nothing lost, only gained :)
Whoever told you that isn't reading it right. It's no "trailers" over 10 years. I have seen it say in the notes no straights or vans over 7 before but the contract gm sends over doesn't state that at all.

Certain brokers if you haul direct for them do require a certain year range, usually 5 to 7, but for the most part most companies look at the running condition. I know if it keeps breaking down I'll just stop putting my freight into it. Why spend sleepless nights looking for tow trucks and recoveries because someone brought you a beater.
The last truck I bought was a 2001 cube. Sure I got a great deal on it, $3000, but I also have invested $7000 into it before I put it on the road. Its gone 12,000 miles in the last 6 weeks and hasn't had a hiccup.
Bringing junk to this business will only ruin your reputation and leave you stranded on the side of the road without any money.

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Making so much after this week I don't care for the moment...lots of time to decide, so far the pressures off, I don't have the time to take all the offers I'm getting with the old one!

Reactions: Ftransit and TDave