How much would a New engine cost??

busop1

Seasoned Expediter
I am seriously thinking about buying an inexpensive straight truck and putting it on with a smaller carrier. I know times are tough but I would be paying cash for the truck and dont have any payments at home.

My question is - The truck has a 3126 Cat with alot of miles, worst case senario say the engine blows and could not be rebuilt how much would a new or remanufactured engine cost installed???

Also again worst case senario if the Transmission went out (it is a six speed manual) and could not be repaired how much would that cost to replace???

Like I said I dont have expenses and can pay cash for the truck which by all accounts seems like a good one - and I have good cash reserves, so please all input is welcome. Of course specifically please address the cost questions. Thank you.

Last edited:

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
last 3126 i did was 4 years ago a reman was 15 grand then, i I will never own another 3126 even if it was given to me

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
heard of one done at 17k last year. that incl a new turbo. 3126 not the best investment. otoh i know a team having oil leakage(a couple gallons) problems with the owners c6 engine. both engines are too small for the work asked of them. cummins or dd seem better choices but there are a ton of trucks out there with the 3126 and available at attractive prices initally.

you might want to stay away from cat engines. cat stopped making over the road engines due to changing rules on emissions.

Last edited:

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Look at the price of these trucks right now. You can buy them for a whole lot less than an engine would cost you. Why replace an engine in an already wore out truck? Buy another truck. I have a 2000 Peterbilt with 3126 in it. Right now it has 310000 on it and if it blew the engine, I might rebuild it. But if it was beyond rebuilding, I'd get my toys off of it and fly home. Then I would look for another truck with a 3126 (cause I like them), that has the least miles at the cheapest price. The payments on an engine would be higher than payments on a different truck.

And the above may not be the truth, cause I keep saying my next truck will be a class 8. So, I wouldn't be able to get a 3126 in an 8.