Cargo Van How much weight can i haul in a 26ft. straight truck ??

Gilly

New Recruit
Driver
Need help !!! Today I rented a 26ft. straight truck from Ryder & loaded it with rolls of carpet to bring to my new warehouse in CT. from my old warehouse in MA., Took RT.84 to get to RT 91 to my warehouse in CT, there was a weight station & open, pulled in & it ruined my day!!! This is the help i need, I had 10 rolls of carpet,each weigh 700lbs each,so thats 7000lbs., after weighing my truck (26ft straight truck-rated 25999lbs), they said it was overweight by 600lbs. & I got a fine. Do any of you know how much weight I can load on a truck like this one??? I was also hit with a fine for not having a DOT Medical Card, the truck is under 26,000lbs & Ryder rented it to my with my regular driver license, nothing about a DOT Card,plus I was told I didn't need one for a truck like this, Is this legal??? If anybody has some answers , I thank you for them. I think there screwing me, am I wrong?? For yrs., I used my e-350 14 ft. box truck carrying 8 to 10 of the same rolls with out a problem,so how can a truck twice the size & better built be over weight???

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Depending on the truck 10-12k payload , first I would have demanded to see the scale ! If your right on the weight of your carpet you got hosed , yes you needed a medical card yes you needed a log book too

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: neilblack

Gilly

New Recruit
Driver
I know the weight is right, I have been lugging rolls of carpet around for 20+yrs.. As for the truck, it's a 26ft. straight truck(under 26,000lb) i rented from Ryder. There sign on wall says that i don't need a special license to drive it. Why would I need a log book or DOT Card for a truck this size, i'm not a trucking co., I'm just a guy who rented a truck to move my stuff ??? The cop was a real :censoredsign: !!! Yelling-screaming at me like I was a piece of :censoredsign:, I'm 58 yrs. old not 16!! Not scared but :censoredsign:, I yelled back & said Excuse me & pulled out my i-phone,told Siri to start video(i suppose that didn't help me)& told him I'm just a guy how rented a truck that my license lets me drive to move my stuff around,not a fu--ing truck driver, Ryder told me that i don't need a cdl or a dot medical card to rent & drive this truck,so why you giving me a ticket for not having a dot card,when the Ryder Contract I should him say's I don't need one?? He gave me some bogus story about the carpet,saying it belongs to a co.,not personal use,does that matter?? Also, I don't know nothing about scales, I just wanted to get out of there, So if the truck say's under 26,000lbs & I have 7000lbs,how could i be over??? Do they count the weight of the truck, meaning if the truck weighs 12,000lbs, I can carry a load up to 14,000lbs ?? Don't know how it works,do you??? Thanks for replying back

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, it is total weight of vehicle and load

Edit: Yes, it matters if it is for personal use or business

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Fact no you do not need cdl for that truck
Fact you are not hauling your own household furniture therefor you are commercial
Fact if you cross state line you do need medical and log book
Fact if you had been overweight you should have also been cited for driving over 26000 without a cdl
Fact something's not adding up here !
I would have demanded to see the weight right then and there all you could do not is go to court and have them produce the weight ticket and proof of daily calibration of that scale!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A log book isn't required if one stays within 100 air miles of home terminal.

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any commercial vehicle that is more then 16001 less then 26000 gvwr u need a cdl class c lic. You can drive out of state no more the 150 air miles with out logging as long as you go from a to b an back. I would plead not guilty for being over weight since they never gave you the scale ticket, plead not guilty because it was a rental moving truck being used for personal use only not for business use. Also never drive a truck that you rent into a scale house. Drive pass watch your mirrors an see if someone comes after you. Odds are they wont chase you down.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I know the weight is right, I have been lugging rolls of carpet around for 20+yrs.. As for the truck, it's a 26ft. straight truck(under 26,000lb) i rented from Ryder. There sign on wall says that i don't need a special license to drive it. Why would I need a log book or DOT Card for a truck this size, i'm not a trucking co., I'm just a guy who rented a truck to move my stuff ??? The cop was a real :censoredsign: !!! Yelling-screaming at me like I was a piece of :censoredsign:, I'm 58 yrs. old not 16!! Not scared but :censoredsign:, I yelled back & said Excuse me & pulled out my i-phone,told Siri to start video(i suppose that didn't help me)& told him I'm just a guy how rented a truck that my license lets me drive to move my stuff around,not a fu--ing truck driver, Ryder told me that i don't need a cdl or a dot medical card to rent & drive this truck,so why you giving me a ticket for not having a dot card,when the Ryder Contract I should him say's I don't need one?? He gave me some bogus story about the carpet,saying it belongs to a co.,not personal use,does that matter?? Also, I don't know nothing about scales, I just wanted to get out of there, So if the truck say's under 26,000lbs & I have 7000lbs,how could i be over??? Do they count the weight of the truck, meaning if the truck weighs 12,000lbs, I can carry a load up to 14,000lbs ?? Don't know how it works,do you??? Thanks for replying back

IF you are in the Carpet Business....You ARE Commercial and should have as a minimum a DOT number and Medical Card to be on the road with equipment.

Also, if the truck is rated at 25,999 lbs and the truck weighs 19599 empty and you load 7000lbs you are in the soup. Maybe you shoulda weighed the truck empty before loading.

I believe you will find Ryder is not in the Drivers seat here.

IF you been carrying 10 700 pound rolls of carpet in a E-350 long.......you been lucky.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm thinking the fact you were hauling Comercial and not personal items may have been the catalyst. It might have upset the officer that you were trying to skirt the rules. I only pulled in the scales one time in a Ryder type truck with personal items and was basically told to get lost, nicely.

How do they say it, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

If you still have the truck you may want to scale it empty of carpet.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDave and Greg

tknight

Veteran Expediter
There is no way a 26' Ryder empty weighs in at almost 20k
My st8 24 with a sleeper and 125 gallons of fuel is just under 17k !

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You were operating a commercial vehicle illegally.
Look at the ticket.
You probably weren't over the 25,999.
You were probably over on an axle because of improper loading.
I call a carpet installer because he knows what he's doing.
Use a truck driver because they often know what they're doing.
At this point I'd advise you to join OOIDA as the driver of Gilly's Carpet Service.
For $30 they will give you the proper answers.
If you're going to continue to operate a commercial truck, learn how to do it properly.
Many states require rental trucks to enter scales.
Bypassing could have added a few hundred more dollars to your fine.
I'm not sure, but I'd be surprised if there is "daily" calibration of a scale.
A forum like this is for general information and amusement, not legal advice.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To help educate the masses, would you post the exact wording of your violations and the associated fines ?
And please post again once this is resolved.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And if you think going back to an E350 type vehicle to stay under the radar is a good idea, think again.
If you'd been caught in that truck your problems would be drastically worse.
If your 350 hit my family's vehicle I'd be thinking today "what am I going to do with this carpet service that I'm going to own after the trail."

Bigtex_69

New Recruit
Driver
The one time i did stop at a scale in a 26 foot non cdl commercial box truck i was told by a DOT officer not to stop. After that i never stopped again and never was chased down