How much can you make as a Sprinter/ small box truck owner operator?

ebmnm77

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi I am curious what to expect as a owner operator of a sprinter / small box truck(16-20ft) . I have been doing deliveries with amazon in a sprinter for almost a year now making about 40k a year. I am considering buying a sprinter or small box truck in hopes of earning more. Its so hard to find solid answers anywhere. I realize pay and work will vary each week but how much can you make in profit yearly as a owner operator? I'd be willing to work 40hr weeks and occasional long distance travel. Also are owner operators in demand?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Expedite is not the same as Amazon because the work is not steady....more like a roller coaster and you have to work over the road....its not a easy job or lifestyle.
You would be better off staying at Amazon and getting your own van.

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd be willing to work 40hr weeks and occasional long distance travel.

Expediting is 60-70 hour weeks and occasionally not traveling long distances, sleeping in your truck/van night after night, spending a few nights at home in your bed each month. Making $40k a year with Amazon? With what expenses?

ebmnm77

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Are there weeks with fewer or is it mostly 60-70hrs? I guess it would be mostly travel but I would be ok with that. Most of the information I found says its hard to find work unless you have a 26 footer. Just curious if its possible to make money with a shorter truck. I work with a fleet owner so no expenses.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im an O/O with a 22Ft Str8 truck. You are making 40K with no expenses or headache and home, stay at Amazon. IMO. Money in this industry is crazy. I came off my most gross month in 3yrs., only to follow by the next month being my worse gross in 5yrs. You never know out here.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Staying away from this segment of the business and sticking with the Amazon gig will give you a whole lot healthier lifestyle as well. 40k a year with no expenses isn't really all that bad, especially being at home nights. .

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, to be honest, it's more like 24/7 than 60-70 hrs a week because you are away from home and the next job could come in in the next 5 minutes to 5 days away. Once in a great while, if you are lucky, the next job will come before you finish the one you're on. Very rare. Anyway, if you have $40k gross with no expenses you are probably better off.

Gato

New Recruit
Researching
Well, I was looking to get into the OTR industry, but it seems everyone here is leaving to work for amazon. Its a bit discouraging when all I hear is that yo can average about $1500-$3500 a week with a sprinter van. So what is it?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Expect $700 to $1500 a week before expenses and taxes. Anyone that tells you that you can earn $3500 week solo in a van is blowing smoke up your butt because it's rare to have that kind of week. There is no way you will get $3500 week after week. And plan to save money up for transmission or engine repair or replacement.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expect $700 to $1500 a week before expenses and taxes. Anyone that tells you that you can earn $3500 week solo in a van is blowing smoke up your butt because it's rare to have that kind of week. There is no way you will get $3500 week after week. And plan to save money up for transmission or engine repair or replacement.
Mr. Dan the wolf, how long has it been since you expedited in a van? So much has changed since than for the better and worse. It is so easy to make $1,500 a week gross on the low side. I do that now without trying. Last year, I averaged $1.78 a loaded mile. Yesterday I hauled a 225 mile load that paid $2.60 a loaded mile. I am close friends with a Transit driver that grossed $125,000 last year. So yes, the money is out here, if you are leased to the right carrier, with their own customers, that do not rely on bid board freight, and pay percentage, not by the mile to the owner operator. Engine and transmission replacement? Nowadays, it is nothing for a gas engine to last over 500k miles as long as it is maintained on a regular basis.