How long will you wait,till deadhead home

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Broompilot I will make it real simple for you to understand. Get your own authority, get your own customers, and cut out the 40% the carrier takes. This is what I meant by thinking outside the box. Do you understand that I am not leased to a carrier because I am the carrier. And that 40% that I now keep for myself is helping to MAXIMIZE MY PROFITABILTY. Because all my customers are within 75 miles of my home beadheading home after every run is a smart move, not a dumb one. I hope this helps you understand now.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
In the first place the question was "How long will you wait, till deadhead home?" not "Will you please tell me what I am doing wrong and how can I make more money?". Nor did he beg for the answer to the question of HOW TO MAXIMIZE HIS PROFITS !!!!!!!

I don't disagree about DH% and profit margin. The two are undoubtedly directly related.

If someone is meeting their income goals and are able to go home more often than you think is prudent, who are you to tell them thats wrong? Who are you to presume what the relationship between carrier and OO is or should be? Have you worked for every carrier out there and have personal knowledge of what is expected by them? Perhaps to some of us the balance of home versus profits is different than what yours is. Does that mean we are wrong and you are right. According to you it does.

I did not tell you or anyone else that doing it your way, their way or any other way was WRONG. That is obviously more than you can restrain yourself to do. What is it that makes you think your priorities and ways of doing things are the only ways that anyone should do it?

This is why many keep their mouths shut and never post on this site. Your attitude and the attitude of others regarding this post is exactly the kind of replys that prompted dieseldivas post about being tired of it I think. You totally ignored the question and read into something that wasn't there and proceeded to blast them for nothing.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are variables that enter in to the decision. These are my thoughts based on operating a D unit. Some could and probably would change with the lower operating costs of a van although that has to be tempered by the lower revenues.

One major factor is where home is. If one lives somewhere along I75 in the busy corridor it's much easier to go home than if home is in Texas or Kansas or somewhere and also probably means it's easier to get back out.

The length of time since the last time home is another factor. I go out to run and make money so I stay out as long as I can stand it to increase my opportunities.

If I get a job ending somewhere near home, and being a Texan that's pretty much any Texas destination, I'll go home afterward unless I've done a semi-round trip (meaning out from home and then back to somewhere in Texas). In that case I stay in service and hope to get right back out, unless it's back to Houston and then I do come home.

I don't believe there is an answer that can remotely fit all circumstances. One just has to figure out what is best in their situation.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Since Fastrod and Lanier are the experts at this. I am curious as to how Fastrod you came up with 40%. My carrier I knew exactly what they charged and no where near the 40% I mean NO WHERE NEAR THAT.

For what % they marked it up and kept me busy and did the billings was well worth it. Even when things got slow they got just as slow for those with there own Authority. I will not deny your own Authority comes with a price tag and YOU FAILED TO MENTION that about your THINKING OUT SIDE OF THE BOX..... And Fastrod just how much did that Authority Cost you up front? A couple hundred or THOUSAND. My understanding its around 10K and people in a Van just are not going to recoupe that fee. I may be wrong about a Van but either way its expensive. So since your the expert please inform us. You post but do not back things up with dollar amounts and the acutal RISK vs Reward return on investment.

To answer Laniers post, was the guy not asking as well how to increase his bottom line. If all you want to do is go home and I failed to read that (all he wanted to do was go home) this site is about improving ones bottom line. You want advice on that, than thats what most of us are here for.

You want to go on vacation than there are TOURIST sites for that. This is for most of us a business not a HOBBY. But hey my box just does not seem to accomidate both as some others seem to.

Dont like my post and advice regarding Diesels comment. ONCE AGAIN DONT READ IT THAN you two mentioned above seem to be the only two offeneded by the rest of us giving advice on INCREASING ones Maxium Profitability. I did not read that the original Poster whining only you two.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Lanier: where you see people bashing the poster, I see people making every effort to be HELPFUL instead. Answering the specific question "how long do you wait before deadheading home?" would be of no help, because if you've been out here for more than a few months, you know there isn't one answer that fits - it depends on a lot of variables.
IMO, there simply wasn't enough information provided to be much help, and so we asked for more info. We also inferred, correctly, as it turns out, that the poster is a newbie, and one who seems to believe that expediting should offer "round trips". I think we've done a pretty fair job of letting him know that we'd like to help, and if we've misunderstood what looks like 'red flag' comments, ie: "I hate to wait" "wife likes to go shopping" "motel & restaurant expenses for two", well, then let Kellemus say so - we're listening, and I'd like to hear more. From him. You don't need our help, I gather - but thanks for letting us know how you feel, anyway.

Kellemus, do you feel 'beat up on'? Or do you feel we mean to help?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
OK. To answer the "How often do you deadhead home?" question, Diane and I are a married-couple team. We have one planned trip per year home; Christmas. If the freight takes us close, we may spend some time at home, or not, depending on how we feel and what work there may be to do that is easiest done at home. Otherwise, we are out.

Since January 1, 2007, we have been home three times; in January (still on our Christmas break), in May and July for a few days each time. In May and July, the freight took us close. Otherwise we would stay out. We run without regard to where the freight takes us. When Christmas comes close we do not try to be load-selective to get home (pick only loads going in the right direction). We run until the 23rd if we are within a day's drive of home or go out of service earlier if we are farther away.

That is not to say we run, run, run, and run some more. We take breaks, but do so on the road. In general, we are in service 80% to 90% of the time, with some of the down time going to truck care (80.2% from 1/1/07 to today).

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I paid $499 for the operating authority. My insurance combined for primary liabilty and cargo costs me $2000 per year. My ability to get and keep customers happy is priceless. I am not a expert at this, I just wanted to be able to have complete control over my business. Now what was the percentage your carrier charged you? My 40% number came from posts on here that fedex paid 58 to 60% of freight charges. I believe they one of the best paying companys so that is why I used that number. I do use some runs as mini-vacations, a recent run to florida included a day at the beach.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you were truly in this business to maximize your profits you would be driving a used class 7, single axle, 210 hp, 24ft. box, 36in. sleeper truck and would be a same household team. Now take all your freakin money and enjoy your life.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>If you were truly in this business to maximize your profits
>you would be driving a used class 7, single axle, 210 hp,
>24ft. box, 36in. sleeper truck and would be a same household
>team. Now take all your freakin money and enjoy your life.

Moot,
Now, I love my wife.. I really do... therefore, in the interest of saving said 25 year relationship, I'd have to say that wouldn't work... LOL> Now if you could? God bless ya!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy