How Goes the New 34-Hour Restart for You?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
So far the 30 has not been a problem. It's stupid, but not a problem. Dispatch adjusted an ETA to pu once for us so far.
Doing a 34 now. Shayne will have 72 hours before her 34 is done. I drove to be close to our pu so mine will only take 34.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Joe, you have to consider rejecting a restart that comes after your normal weekend.
If you reject one and can make it to Friday, you're better off.

Also, this mean old carrier just loosened up their rules on Off Duty Driving. This makes reset less of a prison.
See Friday's Fleet Bulletin for details.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
You mean, falsify the log......or lie? Just want to be sure I understand the question.

It's usually a simple matter to "adjust" your logs and not get caught by the dot. Just take care with tolls and fuel purchases and you're good to go. Or are you? Has the dot started reading license plate numbers from cameras yet? When they do they'll be tracking us as well as an EOBR could do.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
To the drivers with EOBRs , If your truck is empty and not under dispatch, can you take yourself out of service , for a short period of time should that be desirable ?

jimmy

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Also, this mean old carrier just loosened up their rules on Off Duty Driving. This makes reset less of a prison.
See Friday's Fleet Bulletin for details.

In what way were the rules loosened?

In what way does that make the 34-hour restart less of a prison?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army

We can now use off duty driving when predispatched as long as we have a full 10 hours sleeper or off duty before going on duty to make our pick up. Meaning, as in our case, instead of sitting here for two days in a truck stop waiting for our restart and Monday pick up, we can drive 2 miles to go see a movie and then drive back without starting our clock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter

Yes, we can now drive off duty, even when pre-dispatched

To me this is a HUGE freedom over their old policy. On a two day weekend you can leave say at Sunrise Sat morn and return at dark. Same again on the following day.
No more prisoner of wherever we chose to park after delivery.
No more " we should have gotten a Motel but now it'll screw us up to move the truck."

Being with a carrier that allows no Off Duty driving would be prison-like to me. Once paper logs are gone, of course. .

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We are allowed 45 minutes of off duty drive time. No miles limit.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I don't understand how a company can put limits on your personal driving time without crossing a line. If it is your truck and fuel it should be your option. I can understand them not wanting you to drive 4 hours in the direction of your next load claiming personal conveyance though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
We would have loved to stop sooner. This was the closest place after we delivered. The consignee took extra time to unload us, but we were still hoping to get to the truck stop in time for Dean to reset.

And we are on QC electronic logs.

Couldn't you have stopped and logged personal conveyance before 1am?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If a driver has hours that he would be able to log driving, he is allowed 45 minutes each 24 hrs of OFF DUTY DRIVING.
Each rested driver can have 45 mins on Sat and 45 mins on Sun to drive while OFF DUTY. (or any other day)
Sat I drove from Lodi , Oh to the very nice town of Medina, Oh in 20 mins. We then went off duty a few hours to shop and eat.
I drove back in 22 minutes. In under 45 mins driving we were able to enjoy a fine Sat morning away from a Truckstop.
When we drove by the World Headquarters of Mayfield Trucking, I was tempted to stop in to see if I could meet Bruno. Had we done this, adding expected mins to the trip, we would have switched drivers, as this may have put me over my 45 mins of OFF DUTY DRIVING.
We are not to use this to conduct business, or get closer to the customer.
In 90 minutes of driving, you can do alot. Go get a rental car, a hair cut, or see a movie.
90 minutes may seem restrictive, but in reality it's very reasonable.
It's 90 minutes per day more than some carriers allow.
All they ask is that you get a full ten hours rest prior to returning to duty.

What do the other carriers allow ??

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I don't understand how a company can put limits on your personal driving time without crossing a line. If it is your truck and fuel it should be your option. I can understand them not wanting you to drive 4 hours in the direction of your next load claiming personal conveyance though.

I think an ambulance chaser will look these policies one fine day, and find an aggrieved client to challenge contractor status , then seek back wages.

jimmy

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It's about extending liability.
As a fleet you really don't want personal conveyance. People cruising around, taking trucks to places not designed for truck traffic. Possibly while the driver is not in a business frame of mind.
Accidents that happen at the Dentist's Office, motorcycle dealer, etc while not business related are troublesome and of no benefit to a carrier.
No carrier wants you driving around all day on personal business.
I believe some will tolerate a minimum to allow us some quality if life. A policy to limit pc is just good business.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's about extending liability.
As a fleet you really don't want personal conveyance. People cruising around, taking trucks to places not designed for truck traffic. Possibly while the driver is not in a business frame of mind.
Accidents that happen at the Dentist's Office, motorcycle dealer, etc while not business related are troublesome and of no benefit to a carrier.
No carrier wants you driving around all day on personal business.
I believe some will tolerate a minimum to allow us some quality if life. A policy to limit pc is just good business.

Don't you straight guys pay for bobtail or empty insurance? Like us CVs do? We can go anywhere in our free time

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Don't you straight guys pay for bobtail or empty insurance? Like us CVs do? We can go anywhere in our free time

It's the interpretation that when you are behind the wheel, piloting the vehicle, you are on duty.

Fedex let's us roam free if not dispatched. If we have freight on board, or have a pre-dispatch, they look at liability risk.

There are carriers that allow NO personal conveyance. If a truck with signage hits your kid on a bike, the lawyer will follow the money. He doesn't care if the truck was on the way to play mini-golf or to deliver the load.

And sexual orientation shouldn't play into it.

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
ATEAM; Please tell me of a carrier that is willing to give you or me more money because moving freight costs more, I cant even get my company to even remotely try to get dead head covered...they think its the drivers responsibility to cover any and all dead head no matter how far it is...ave 100-150 miles per load.

Last edited:

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
ATEAM; Please tell me of a carrier that is willing to give you or me more money because moving freight costs more, I cant even get my company to even remotely try to get dead head covered...they think its the drivers responsibility to cover any and all dead head no matter how far it is...ave 100-150 miles per load.

Sounds like time to carrier shop.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Deadhead pay is no problem for Diane and me. It was not so with our former carrier and is not so with our present one. When a load is offered, we total up the pay and all miles that would be driven for the load. If there is enough pay to make the miles worth driving, we do the load. If not, we decline it.

It does not matter how many miles are deadhead and how many are loaded. The total miles driven is the number that counts, and the total pay offered.