How do you make money with a cargo van?

guido4475

Not a Member
I'm just wondering which is more economical to run in the long term, a new diesel Sprinter or a gas Ford E Series. Sure the Sprinter get's better fuel economy BUT diesel is more expensive per gallon and you're also buying DEF. Then not to mention the more expensive parts when something breaks....

That is my thinking as well. My maintenance and repairs for this year to date comes out to 2.5 cents per mile.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gentleman this is a long running debate on every board/ forum and I have the dividing factor for me.... SLEEPER! I'm never without a comfy place to sleep or place to eat.... I will not give up good sleep for a load :) just my humble opinion :)

rymilburn

Active Expediter
For all you newbies out there.... And a follow up to my previous post.... 2k repair bill for three sensors..... Yes, three sensors. 8 hours of labor.

This now makes it 5k since I have purchased the unit back in March. So not even 6 months into it.

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
02-06 Sprinter Parts prices

Oil change $49 + $5 for filter DIY total cost $54 w/ Mobil 1 synthetic
Brakes $100 dollars a axle pads and new rotors.
Suspension front and rear $300
Air filter $15
Fuel filter $25
Cabin filter $15
harmonic balancer $250
glow plugs $75 qty 5
Transmission filter/gasket $15
Transmission fluid $45-75 depending on brand used.
Tires $500 installed for Kumho Road Venture.

Anything else feel free to inquire. :) A little prior experience in automotive reconditioning may be useful in this industry! :)
Don't forget the u joints on the drive shaft.. not cheap. But we found a guy who rebuilds them.
3500? How do you make the skids go between wheel wells?
What wheel wells? You're just gonna cut them out anyhow.

Sent from my C2004 using EO Forums mobile app

Therion

Active Expediter
For all you newbies out there.... And a follow up to my previous post.... 2k repair bill for three sensors..... Yes, three sensors. 8 hours of labor.

This now makes it 5k since I have purchased the unit back in March. So not even 6 months into it.

Ouch, did you go the an MB dealer?

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Ouch, did you go the an MB dealer?

All MB dealers from Iowa- Indiana were booked up at least 3 days solid, closed on weekends.

@ Stoops in Indianapolis.... They said most MB dealers don't stock these sensors that I need because they are not often needed. This place is one of the only 24/7 sprinter repair places in the country. I seriously can 't afford more downtime than I already have had.

Oh well, it's life.... I just got the bad end of the deal

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
All MB dealers from Iowa- Indiana were booked up at least 3 days solid, closed on weekends.

@ Stoops in Indianapolis.... They said most MB dealers don't stock these sensors that I need because they are not often needed. This place is one of the only 24/7 sprinter repair places in the country. I seriously can 't afford more downtime than I already have had.

Oh well, it's life.... I just got the bad end of the deal

Bless you......Stay away from Neely Coble in Nashville,They tell you one thing to get you there and they sun your unit for 10 days and tell you how busy they are.The bill is yet to come.1 certified tech and the rest are trade school trainee.They got me for $6800 last year,last visit check engine lite came back on in 500 miles,they left something half plugged.