POLL How Do You Keep Warm?

How do you keep warm in the winter?

• Total voters

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are many ways in which expediters deal with winter. How do you deal with it?

If there's a choice not on the poll that should be, let me know and I'll add it.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I modified a winter coat with hood and 2 sleeping bags. It works for me.

It is similar to the "sheltersuit" for the homeless (see attached pics).

It works pretty good for outdoor too. Just in case my van get reposses...I'm good to go (center pic). Lol...

marketing-trends-in-social-entrepreneurship-36-638.jpg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a new Espar B-4 with a super Digi-Max D 1000 controller. My problem isn't staying warm, it's keeping cool! This morning I woke up sweating like a Finlander having his way with a reindeer in a sauna. The temperature was 87º. Was I in Miami, no. Was I in Laredo, no. I was in northern Illinois. The outside temperature was 36º but inside my van it was 87º. I was tired and fell asleep shortly after firing up the Espar. It was still doing its full blast heat mode when I nodded off. 4 hours later when I awoke it had kicked down a notch but was still blowing hot even though the super Digi-Max D 1000 controller was set at 65º. I shut the unit down and tried to get back to sleep. 45 minutes later I was still awake and now cold.

Any idea what the problem is? If I don't get it figured out by Monday I'll have to give Ray a call.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I modified a winter coat with hood and 2 sleeping bags. It works for me.

It is similar to the "sheltersuit" for the homeless (see attached pics).

It works pretty good for outdoor too. Just in case my van get reposses...I'm good to go (center pic). Lol...

marketing-trends-in-social-entrepreneurship-36-638.jpg
You're not good to go till you crack the cap on the Night Train. Then you be gone!

Reactions: Mailer

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I have a new Espar B-4 with a super Digi-Max D 1000 controller. My problem isn't staying warm, it's keeping cool! This morning I woke up sweating like a Finlander having his way with a reindeer in a sauna. The temperature was 87º. Was I in Miami, no. Was I in Laredo, no. I was in northern Illinois. The outside temperature was 36º but inside my van it was 87º. I was tired and fell asleep shortly after firing up the Espar. It was still doing its full blast heat mode when I nodded off. 4 hours later when I awoke it had kicked down a notch but was still blowing hot even though the super Digi-Max D 1000 controller was set at 65º. I shut the unit down and tried to get back to sleep. 45 minutes later I was still awake and now cold.

Any idea what the problem is? If I don't get it figured out by Monday I'll have to give Ray a call.
I have the Espar B4 and it will roast you when it is cold out if you turn up the temp on the controller to 65deg. Try using a setting of 60 or 61 or even lower.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

find a comfort setting and DONT'T touch it.....LOL

mine does what yours does as well....depending on location of thermostat and the outside wind...direction of your parking....lots of variables...lats night about 3am mine came roaring on I had to get up and change direction of air flow from hose towards the direction of thermostat! and it calmed down....

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you did your own install and saw the instructions. There is a solid grey wire from the wall mounted thermostat in the wire harness. If you disconnect that wire the heater defaults to using its internal thermostat located at the air intake of the Espar. Mine didn't work right either. I cut that wire and it now holds temp very well. I set mine at 76 and it keeps the van warm under all conditions. It's an easy remedy.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1452531997.625647.jpg

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
that would be the air intake sensor also called the over heat sensor if it senses too hot of air it'll shutdown....so you've just cutoff the thermostat ?....my intake is close to the door...it would always run as air is very cool down there....

well there ya have it...LOL Thanks bill....

but they'll sell you a $300 thermostat.....LOL when its almost useless....

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No Ken, it has nothing to do with the overheat sensor. It's strictly an optional wire for an external temp sensor.

The overheat sensor is located as number 15 here. The internal intake air temp is built inside the control unit number 9 here.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1452532859.806474.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: OntarioVanMan

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
....so you've just cutoff the thermostat ?....my intake is close to the door...it would always run as air is very cool down there....

No you haven't cutoff the thermostat. You just bypassed the temp sensor inside the wall mount thermostat so the Espar could default to its own built in temp sensor that's built into the internal controller inside the actual Espar unit. The thermostat still turns the unit on and off and still allows you to control the temperature settings. But now it makes no difference where you mount the thermostat.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
so someone could try both ways and see what suits them best?....

That's exactly what I do. I try with the wires connected, but the temp varies wildly. So I always end up disconnecting the grey wire within a few hours. I have the entire installation manual if you want me to email it to you. It's also on Espar of MI web site.