How do you handle making decisions quickly????

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Hello all,
Just wandering what do you do when dispatch calls and wants you to take a load and you are not really sure if it is a good one (pay, miles etc.)?? They will not wait for you to make an educated decision. So, how do you handle it?

How do you make your decisions fast?

I know that most of you have been in the business for a long, long time. So, for most it's second nature. For me, being still pretty new, it's frustrating sometimes.

Are there formulas that you can use quickly with a calculator..etc.???

How do you guys handle making these snap decisions?

We have never turn down loads. But, when we go back and look, sometimes we realize, wholly crap, that run was not good for us at all!!!

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!!!!

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Well im still rookie.. and I know exactly what you are talking about. It took practice, and getting familiuar with the geography of the country, but mainly where your best options for a load are. Once you start recognizing the states and cities that will get you out fast the Pa Mi In Il Wi,Tx MO Ks Los angeles is slaming for me.. thats when I look at the rest of the info. D/h is a consideration but Im a team.. I will move or travel a little to get it they know it ..and they keep me running.. Ive been slammed this year.. I have wore the west out .Ive left most of my tread on I-70 west..this whole 1st quarter. While others said no I said yes ,,and they have repaid me. why because I will deadhead, they work very hard to get me loaded before i reach my position. why ..because I agreed early on to deadhead during the slow times..that is the advantage of a team. January after advances we took in $5600 the second week.. our first quartr wa phenom. KNow your slammin areas, get to know you map be willing to move a little. thats all I know ..really thats it

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
>How do you make your decisions fast?

I like Joebob's response, but the answer to your question is: You don't need to make decisions fast. Don't let that salesperson sell you anything until you know all of the details that you need to make a good business decision. Ask that dispatch agent the questions for which you need answers, such as, How much deadhead, pieces/weight, total revenue and any accessorial charges such as inside delivery, lift gate, etc. Also know how far from the delivery to the next likely layover city so you can add those miles into the total. You need to know the answers before you can determine the profitibility of a given load offer. Don't let them rush you into a hasty decision!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One quick calculator formula is deadhead / paid miles. If dh/pm is over .20 the destination has to be a good one or they have to kick in some extra. Another is price of fuel minus $1.25 / mpg. If fuel is $3.00 then it's $1.75/mpg. If mpg is 8 then it's .22 and the fsc has to be at least 22cpm or the destination has to be A+ prime or they kick in some extra. It's something you get used to more as you go along. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
couldnt agree more there terri..Caught myself accepting a few odd things, one with the weight over my limit, accepting canadian loads when we cant do canada because i didnt thouroughly read the offer, some herendous pick up miles ,that I know now could have been negotiated for a better price. I have learned to take my time. I must say though,talking with other drivers, (People generally like to show you how much they know) look out for the bull*^%&*.. and especially reading EO. Some days just going into all the forums and reading, has allowed me to pick up stuff that would not have occured to me.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Knowing what it costs per mile to run your truck is the key. Knowing that number against the total miles of a run will tell you if it is profitable to take.
Other considerations are the location the load takes you to, and for some companies, how many other trucks are in your area?
We simply don't take unprofitable loads.
One can make considerable money, but the real number is what is left at the end after everything is paid. I have seen time and time again trucks that run 20,000 miles in a month and have little to show for it at the end of the month.
"It's not what you make, but what you keep"

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
If you have a Qualcom you can ask them to send the offer to the Qualcom, this will give you a few extra minutes to think it over.

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Always have them send on the QC so you can look at it. That gives you a minute or 2 to check all of the load info, check your maps, dead head distance and to make sure that you have enough time to make the run. 99% of the time they will give you the time to check the facts. Fuel surcharge... vans should be a minimum .18 cents the week and straight trucks .28. anything less comes out of your pocket and you have to make that decision. For every 4 cents in price increase add 1 - 2 cents to the SC. This just a general rule of thumb.. some drivers get better/worse mileage and figure in other factors. Comapny suck ups on this board will tell you to run for less.

diver5240

Seasoned Expediter
The best way I found to make quick decision is I do not take any loads that have deadhead of 1/4 or more of the loaded miles. If they offer me a load going 120 miles and I have to deadhead for 50 miles to get it I won't take it. But 2 weeks ago I deadheaded for 160 miles for a 1100 mile load. I have found that the 1/4 rule works good for quick decisions, but if you have time to figure it out you may take a few loads that you wouldn't take with the 1/4 rule, and also desperation plays a factor. Do not let them rush you to much, until I started using the 1/4 rule I would take any load they offered, then I figured what I did not make. Since I started basing my quick decisions like that I have about doubled my income. Hope this helps.

heel4you

Expert Expediter
diver5240, davebeckym,
Very good thoughts to make decisions. I will use them.
Keep them coming, these are really good.
Thank you very much. I am learning so much by just reading and taking ideas in and seeing what works for us!!!!!