How do I beat the heat?

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
I drive a cargo van. This will be the first summer for me driving. So while driving I run my A/C. While sleeping I get a hotel room. But if I wanna save a few bucks and sleep in my van. In doing so I don't wanna leave it run. What to do? Is there anything I can buy? Tips?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Insulate like a mad man. Get a generator and a portable a/c unit. But ask advice on here about recommended gennie output wattage and size and brand of a/c units that are worth a crud.

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A high quality roof vent fan works wonders in all but the extreme heat. And like Murray said, insulate like crazy. You want to insulate the van as if you're going to be living in it, because you are. With an insulted van and a roof vent fan, along with a cracked side window about half way, you can get a really nice breeze inside the van. An additional fan, like a 12-volt fan running off an aux battery, can make a difference when it's really hot. But for the most part, it takes 2 weeks of pure Hell in the heat before you can become acclimated to it. But you will get to where it's tolerable. if you can stick it out for those 2 weeks. If you have to have 72 degrees and low humidity, then a generator and a rooftop or portable air conditioner is the only way to go.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
All good advice. But while you're getting it all together, carry a gallon of water for emergencies, and when you feel dehydrated [not having to pee is a major clue], you can hang your head out the window and pour water over it. [You need to be parked first, lol, preferably in the shade.] I like to add shampoo, because sweat makes yukky hair, and clean feels refreshing. It probably gets a lot of strange looks, but I can't see them, so who cares? ;)
This is useful even when you have AC, because sometimes, [usually enroute to Laredo], it breaks. And heat stress is serious - don't ignore it! Pay attention to fluid balance, and make sure to put in as much as you're sweating out. If you feel nauseated, get parked in the shade and lie down till you feel better.

Reactions: gotto_03801

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't remember the brand but I had a window installed across from the side cargo doors. It had a lower section that opened pivoting up and out from the bottom. Rain couldn't get in because the window angled out and the rain ran down and off. I had a fantastic fan in the ceiling in the centerline of the van. You could draw a line from the center of the pivoting window to the center of the fan. I could run the fan to either push air in or draw it out. I'd run it first drawing air out which took the rising warm air and pulled it out. When I'd go to bed I'd switch it to push air in. I'd sleep with my head directly below it. Keeping the fan on high to keep my head and face cooler made me much more comfortable overall. I had a generator and rooftop a/c for when it was really hot but with that fan setup I often didn't have to run the a/c and saved even more fuel and money. I didn't do as good a job insulating as some have or it would have been even better still. If I were doing it again I'd have two fans in the roof so one could push while the other pulled.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Another idea: portable endless breeze dc fan made by fan-tastic vent. 3 speed very low amp draw. Bought mine on amazon.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Second the fantastic fan and side window install. If it rains I reverse the flow (windows have rain guards) and a second portable fantastic fan for spot cooling...two 12v walmart hybrid deep cycles power both about 18 hours and charge off my starting battery. Good for 95+ degrees and humid

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
an inverter genset pref Honda or a Yamaha and a portable AC unit:D. and insulate the van. and in the winter time you can buy a ceramic heater but make sure it has a safety tip over switch:cool:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Ceramic heaters don't cut it in the winter. They are extremely inefficient. You would need a big one and a huge generator to power it.

Reactions: xiggi