HOW do big rig drivers do it?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
let's look at the Biiig picture. More tires, more brakes, more weight. More gears,

You sit up higher, you can let off the pedal in an 18 and slow down a good bit quicker than you can in a straight truck due to the weight.

We're not super truckers, we're not pushing our limits of our luck. We're larger, and have more gears to grab, and more brakes to help us out.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. it's not easy, it takes some serious concentration to control that wagon that's wiggling behind you on ice. turning isn't bad-

...drivers of 18 wheelers are not all super truckers- we sit up higher, and despite what some might think/believe- we have more brakes and more gears to grab (giving us more control than one with an automatic cargo van or 6 speed straight truck... and as a couple other drivers were kind enough to emphasize- we do sit up higher and do command a better view of "the big picture".

Really, it's not about how many brakes or tires you have.

Until you've driven an 18 wheeler- please be kind enough to not harass us on our skills and driving patterns.

10-4 good buddy!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
10-4 Good Buddy . Or 10-4 Goooood Buddyy? Haven't heard that in years. That could start a whole new discussion.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
10-4 Good Buddy . Or 10-4 Goooood Buddyy? Haven't heard that in years. That could start a whole new discussion.

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I have driven a 18 wheeler. Old cab over Pete hauling grain. Did it for a number of years when I lived in cow country (and corn, and wheat...)

Last thing I want to hear is a "10-38"

Last edited:

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
I was not going to make a comment on this b.s. discussion, but after reading these so called forums, it does nothing but remind me of the c.b. radio, most of the wanna be truck drivers on here, that wouldn't make a good pimple on a real truck drivers *** sit on here and ***** about everything and everyone...oh, does that sound familiar...super truckers...

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I was not going to make a comment on this b.s. discussion, but after reading these so called forums, it does nothing but remind me of the c.b. radio, most of the wanna be truck drivers on here, that wouldn't make a good pimple on a real truck drivers *** sit on here and ***** about everything and everyone...oh, does that sound familiar...super truckers...

Well I for one agree about the cb radio deal but we don't have the language or racial slurs I hear everytime I turn the radio on.

I call no one a super trucker. In fact I speak from experience on why I feel it's best to run lower speeds in a truck or straight truck even. It happened in Jan. Of 2008 in upstate new York. Snow and ice all over divided 4 lane highway and I was late to pickup a load of meat (truck failure) so I was making up time by going faster than I should have been. I come to an intersection and there was a small sedan with 2 kids and mom and dad that lost traction and couldn't move. No light on the car were on so I couldn't see it until I was right on them. I was dropping gears and getting on the brakes as the trailer was coming around to the point I could read the company name in my mirror. I got lucky and by the grace of god missed them. Every one was fine but we were all shook up and the 2 girls were crying because they didn't think I could stop.

That night could have ended with 4 fatalities but it didn't. From that point on I dropped my speed and drive more alert and aware of my surroundings.

All of this over a late pickup or delivery? I don't want to be the cause of someone losing a loved one because I was in a hurry.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army

Wow. That was an interesting post. It certainly added new information and addressed the OP's original question.:rolleyes:
But seriously, if you do not enjoy reading these posts and this forum, why bother? I do not enjoy the banter I hear on the CB so I simply do not turn it on unless it becomes absolutely necessary.
Exercise your right to not participate.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

So, let me get this straight... You're on here complaining about people who are on here complaining about people. Dude, that's heavy.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Ummm. I'm a real driver :) tt since 1976. Time out for mothering, real estate and straight truck. No cb in my kiddywhomper either.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
True, these days I drive a van. I have driven TT in heavy weather though. Enough experience in Chicago winters to know how they handle in the snow. Any comments I may have made about the "super truckers" sticks. The same can be said for "super straights", "super vanners", "super cars" and "super mopeds" if you see one going too fast for conditions. Heck, if you see somebody riding a Segway too fast for conditions, he's a bozo too. Ice and snow give no quarter and take no prisoners.