HOW do big rig drivers do it?

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Since it does not look like any 18's commented... I will. How do they manage to stay on the road? well, let's look at the Biiig picture. More tires, more brakes, more weight. More gears,

and as far as experience is concerned...
that's just something one gets right after they needed it.

You sit up higher, you can let off the pedal in an 18 and slow down a good bit quicker than you can in a straight truck due to the weight. There's a good bit more training involved in driving an 18 wheeler than there is in driving a straight truck. and I mean this in the nicest way possible... but- 18's will often use their CB's and communicate with one another much more than straight trucks and expediters in vans. Especially in severe weather conditions.
And it may seem like we're going fast, but in reality- often times in severe weather (like really bad rain and/or bad snow/ice conditions that limit visibility) we're going slower for our size vehicles. So, to come up on a straight truck doing 25 or 30 and we're truckin' along at 40 MPH, then yes- get over! We're not trying to run you off the road- we're simply doing our job of trucking... just like an expediter with 4 tires or 6 or 10 tires.

We're not super truckers, we're not pushing our limits of our luck. We're larger, and have more gears to grab, and more brakes to help us out. Just like anything else- even expediters- there's a select few cowboys that can make the whole group look bad.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. it's not easy, it takes some serious concentration to control that wagon that's wiggling behind you on ice. turning isn't bad- but when you see an 18 trying to back into a spot in a crowded truckstop- it's as tough as it looks, even for veterans. Give us room, we give you room. and vice versa.

Ok, I feel better now. Hope this helps you understand our driving patterns. an 18 wheeler is much more vehicle than a straight truck, even a straight truck that's decked out. and then add in that the stinker bends in the middle!!!

BigBusBob.

On a sheet of ice your truck stops no faster than the rest of us.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I did doubles and triples at Roadway for three years. The hardest deal is one or two heavy trailers with an empty on the rear. You're so heavy that you need a fair amount of braking effort and you want to brake gently cause you're empty in the rear. Only a TT driver can imagine what it's like. Add in that the equipment is less than top shape. Little known secret about triples: the driver has very little control. A rut in the road is enough to get the back trailer dancing. Pass them with caution and as quickly as you can do so safely.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since it does not look like any 18's commented... I will. How do they manage to stay on the road? well, let's look at the Biiig picture. More tires, more brakes, more weight. More gears,

You sit up higher, you can let off the pedal in an 18 and slow down a good bit quicker than you can in a straight truck due to the weight. There's a good bit more training involved in driving an 18 wheeler than there is in driving a straight truck. and I mean this in the nicest way possible... but- 18's will often use their CB's and communicate with one another much more than straight trucks and expediters in vans. Especially in severe weather conditions.
And it may seem like we're going fast, but in reality- often times in severe weather (like really bad rain and/or bad snow/ice conditions that limit visibility) we're going slower for our size vehicles. So, to come up on a straight truck doing 25 or 30 and we're truckin' along at 40 MPH, then yes- get over! We're not trying to run you off the road- we're simply doing our job of trucking... just like an expediter with 4 tires or 6 or 10 tires.

We're not super truckers, we're not pushing our limits of our luck. We're larger, and have more gears to grab, and more brakes to help us out. Just like anything else- even expediters- there's a select few cowboys that can make the whole group look bad.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. it's not easy, it takes some serious concentration to control that wagon that's wiggling behind you on ice. turning isn't bad- but when you see an 18 trying to back into a spot in a crowded truckstop- it's as tough as it looks, even for veterans. Give us room, we give you room. and vice versa.

Ok, I feel better now. Hope this helps you understand our driving patterns. an 18 wheeler is much more vehicle than a straight truck, even a straight truck that's decked out. and then add in that the stinker bends in the middle!!!

BigBusBob.

I drove 18s. When everybody else has slowed down, when 40 feels dangerous, and a rig goes zipping by at 65, everybody else thinks he's a bozo. And, you know what, they're right. He's a bozo. Ice doesn't give you much clearance and it really doesn't give a rip how much experience or how many wheels are under you. The other night I saw a Michigan Train in the ditch. I reckon most of us will go some before we have as many wheels as he has.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Concur....he is a bozo. Don't care how many more brakes you have. You also have a ton more weight, and the same weight per wheel position as a straight. Regarding the visibility, again, a bozo. The cb argument makes it worse, IMHO. You see no better in those conditions than I do.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Concur....he is a bozo. Don't care how many more brakes you have. You also have a ton more weight, and the same weight per wheel position as a straight. Regarding the visibility, again, a bozo. The cb argument makes it worse, IMHO. You see no better in those conditions than I do.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Actually, you would be surprised how much visibility one gains by sitting higher in a tractor-trailer. The difference is quite substantial. Only part of it is being able to see over the cars. It seems that sitting up higher gets you out of a lot of muck that is in the air lower to the ground. I've driven a big truck in mist and snow and heavy rain, and I wondered why the cars were going so slow. There are conditions, oddly enough, in which the big truck has more visibility and control.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

BigCat

Expert Expediter

BigBusBob.

Not true. I drove tractor trailer in the winter and you do need to slow down. I have seen cars couple hundred feet ahead get away at 30 on ice and at the same speed I had problems getting stopped to avoid an accident. At 60 to 65 I would have killed the driver who went in to a skid.

Trucks can leave the road at 45 do tons of damage. Ever wonder why in winter conditions you see trucks in the medians on their sides? Probably because they have thought like yours that the heavier the faster they can go. But did they anticipate the car doing 30 going in to a skid? Probably not.

jbailey13

Active Expediter
Well, let me tell you all something.
I drove semi and pulled 53' trailers before going to a straight truck and drove in just about all kind of weather. The semi, when loaded, is very stable most times. I've driven in snow, albeit at a slower speed than usual, when 4 wheelers and vans were slipping and sliding down the highway. They would try to keep up with my truck and then begin sliding... No problems with the big rig.
Word of warning...don't try going as fast as the big rigs in bad weather and don't try passing them at a faster speed. YOU may end up in the ditch instead!
I'll take the big rig over a straight truck any day in bad weather.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I agree that 18 wheels feel more stable than 6 or 8, and one can drive faster - but the possibility of having to brake for someone else's oooops! [causing them to waltz all over all the lanes] always kept my speed down, and my truck out of the ditch.
It's called defensive driving for a good reason.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I did doubles and triples at Roadway for three years. The hardest deal is one or two heavy trailers with an empty on the rear. You're so heavy that you need a fair amount of braking effort and you want to brake gently cause you're empty in the rear. Only a TT driver can imagine what it's like. Add in that the equipment is less than top shape. Little known secret about triples: the driver has very little control. A rut in the road is enough to get the back trailer dancing. Pass them with caution and as quickly as you can do so safely.

The Heavy trailer should no matter what been up front. & thats the big problem of why one see doubles in the ditch all the time. They put the Heavy trailer in the back. Then they over steer the wheel and the rear trailer gets to swinging and even if the light trailer is in the back and they over steer they tend to wip the trailer and end up in the ditch. Especialy happens when they get overely tired at the wheel or they are texting on there phones likes so many Roadway and UPS I see do.

Now far as driving in Snow or Ice.
Dont be scared of it but Respect it.
If your scared your going to second guess your self and then you will end up in the ditch. That doesnt mean run warp speed either like I seen many ur so called super truckers do.
Them guys are nothing but fools.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For those who seriously think 18 wheels and a heavy truck make it better: I've seen a couple of Michigan Trains come to grief in the ditches. Those things look like centipedes on wheels, I've counted at one time or another upwards of 36 tires on one of those things. They run very heavy, too, so given the arguments above you'd think they're almost bullet-proof as far as bad weather is concerned. It just ain't so. They're governed by the same laws of physics that get the rest of us, and since they have to share the road with other traffic (what a surprise) that means that they really can't safely go that much faster than the flow of traffic anyway.

When it gets slippery, snow and ice give no quarter-- no matter how many wheels you have or how heavy your truck is.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
While driving a TT back in the 80's I was on I 95 in Melbourne, FL during a heavy rainstorm. Traffic was moving at about 45 MPH. As I was going around a curve I had a 4 wheeler in front of me hit the brakes hard. I was not following to closely, but I still had to brake hard to avoid rear ending him. I glanced out the drivers side window and had the thrilling experience of seeing my trailer attempting to pass me.:eek: A gentle pull on the trolley brake brought it back in place behind me. This was due to a wet, slick, oily road.
If this had happened on ice I am sure I would have ended up wrecked on the side of the road. Once traction is lost it doesn't matter what you are driving.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can drive a van, straight truck or tractor/trailer on ice and snow doing 80 mph without a problem, until some steering or braking input is required.

I don't have much experience with straight trucks but I have driven them enough to know that a single axle straight truck with some weight over the drive axle out performs a t/t on snow and ice.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The hardest deal is one or two heavy trailers with an empty on the rear. You're so heavy that you need a fair amount of braking effort and you want to brake gently cause you're empty in the rear.

I agree, I have never pulled triples, plenty of doubles though! Another problem with multiple trailers is the lag time for braking from the tractor to the last axle. Also every axle in the combination has different wear on the brake shoes.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Roadway had this great moneysaving idea to do brakejobs by the wheel, not by the axle. The 1/4" of lining is okay on the passenger side, so just reshoe the Driver's side. Brake fade in the mountains was very uneven. 110,000# grand jct to Las Vegas. No Jake brakes. Some nights we really earned those big bucks.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Roadway had this great moneysaving idea to do brakejobs by the wheel, not by the axle.

Amazing! Roadway and Yellow deserve each other! My point was that most brake jobs are done per axle and a typical LTL linehaul setup is 2 or 3 single axle pups and 1 or 2 single axle dollies, resulting in 3 to 5 trailing axles with various brake wear. A typical tandem axle trailer would probably have both axles relined at the same time.

I was payed well doing the LTL company thing, but I earned it!

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the things about blowing snow or wet heavy snow is remembering to dry out your brakes. Your running along and something happens up ahead,you've got lott's of room ease on the brakes and nothing, OK more brake pressure still nothing, then brakes start to work but not at the same time because of uneven wear or adjustment, lots of reasons. Now you have used up your safe following distance and are looking for a way out. Makes the ditch look like your Friend. Kind of fell like a jerk showing brake lights but I like my brakes to work nice and easy.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't believe I ever mentioned going 60 MPH in the snow or ice in a big rig. Simply put, in a good snow or healthy icy road conditions- doing anything over 50 or 60 is, well. Stupid.
So, please be kind enough to not attempt to insert words that were not said.

What I was implying and some of you failed to see (perhaps because you read too fast or ?) is that drivers of 18 wheelers are not all super truckers- we sit up higher, and despite what some might think/believe- we have more brakes and more gears to grab (giving us more control than one with an automatic cargo van or 6 speed straight truck... and as a couple other drivers were kind enough to emphasize- we do sit up higher and do command a better view of "the big picture".

With that said, there are straight trucks out there that are OTR tractors that have been converted into straight trucks and still retain their 9 or 10+ speed transmissions. However, that does not mean a thing unless the driver knows how to use it properly. There's plenty of truck shops that have plenty of expediter straight trucks that have been wrecked due to drivers thinking they too were "super truckers" themselves.

Sure, Ice and weather in general has no mercy- but it's not mother nature that takes a vehicle. it's the driver that takes the vehicle.
Like the old saying about guns... guns don't kill people, people kill people.
Same applies to vehicles. The car or truck is not driving, the driver is driving.
Really, it's not about how many brakes or tires you have. It's how a driver is able to handle the vehicle.

I think it's safe to say that the driver that goes slow in a truck stop, uses their 4 ways when backing, and gets out and looks is a good driver- but that same driver may blow snow in your face. That makes them a super trucker? a bozo?

What irks me is that so many drivers of small vehicles (smaller in general- no particular type) think that 18 wheelers are out to take paint off theirs. When 70 to 75 feet is passing you at 5 to 10 MPH faster than your current speed in your 25 to 40 foot of vehicle... it's easy to get frustrated. Especially in less than perfect weather conditions. I've not yet driven doubles or triples, so I did not mention that subject. What I can say, is that I've driven 18 wheelers a good bit, and straight trucks of various kinds and tour busses with and without trailers. I've passed many different kinds of vehicles in many different kinds of weather, and likewise I too have been passed by many as well.

I may blow some snow in your face, I may not.
Loosing traction, I'm slowing down, Lose traction and see my wagon attempting to come around me- I'm looking for a place to park.
I won't throw iron. If I have to throw iron, I'm parking. Simple as that.

I will stand my ground and say that an 18 wheeler (pulling a single trailer- Not doubles or triples) is more solid and stable on snow and ice... driven at a safe enough speed for the conditions. What is safe? That's where the training comes into play and the skill of the drivers senses comes into play in the equation. An 18 wheeler driver can also say that they've been passed by a cargo van, sprinter, and/or straight truck from an expedited freight co. like they've been standing still--->> in bad weather conditions.

Sometimes we see them later on down the road in an accident, sometimes we don't.
Sometimes the expediter is doing exactly that- Expediting the shipment. Often times, 18 wheelers pulling general freight have much larger time windows than a cargo van, sprinter van, or straight truck pulling expedited freight- yet we get blamed for driving past you and you get some snow in your face and freak out and get frustrated.

Until you've driven an 18 wheeler- please be kind enough to not harass us on our skills and driving patterns. How do they do it you asked, and We answered.

I've got 3 small kids I drive for.
I'm going to make it back to them- whether your super truckers want me to or not.

That... is my final 2 cents here- Because these threads are dominated by cargo vans, sprinters, and straight truck drivers/owners.

Triple B.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I'll give you being able to see better if visibility is good not road level spray, but heavy snow, sleet, fog is going to affect how well you see regardless of distance between your butt and the road.

No mater what, you can not win an argument with Newtons laws of physics. More wheels/more brakes don't mean squat on a sheet of ice, or a slick road when a 4 wheeler is playing pin ball in front of you.

I have no clue what having "gears" is going to do for anyone. We can all down shift, nudge it in to neutral and if the gear is a bit low/high we can feather the fuel. Many newer vans also have traction control, abs and stability control.

I am glad you keep it sensible. However, there are MANY (MANY!!!) T/T drivers that DON'T.

Minneapolis what white knuckle driving this morning. I was traveling down I494 in my car.. I had 100 yards between me in the car in front of me. The roads where so slick they shined. Ahead you could see the state patrol working a spin out wreck. I look in my rear view mirror.. All I see..

The Volvo badge of the trucks grill.

I was in the right lane going with the flow.

I don't give two shyts who you are. That driver was a complete IDIOT and was risking MY life. If he wants to win a Darwin award I am sure he could find a bridge abutment in the middle of no where to plow in to.

I moved over a lane to the left and the hammer went down and he blew by the state patrol ignoring the states "move over/slow down" law when it comes to emergency vehicles on the road way.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I think Cableguy gave a pretty good description of the t/t driver we're all talking about.

If your doing 10 mph faster than the flow of traffic on bad roads, your fooling yourself and risking your life along with everyone else's. You can't take it back once the bodies are pulled out.