How companies adapt to changes

paullud

Veteran Expediter
This is an article that happens to be about the company I am leased onto but I think it shows a bright spot and the idea that companies can find ways to grow even in bad times. I am not a fan boy or pom pom waver but I found it interesting that Bolt was able to increase business as much as they have in a bad economy. They saw the opportunity to expand by focusing south of the border but I wonder if they will need to change their business plan with the coming changes. Well right now they are providing work for many that need it and I hope they don't get to big for their britches.

http://m2.toledoblade.com/business/2011/09/08/Mexico-shipments-fuel-Bolts-rise.html

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is an article that happens to be about the company I am leased onto but I think it shows a bright spot and the idea that companies can find ways to grow even in bad times. I am not a fan boy or pom pom waver but I found it interesting that Bolt was able to increase business as much as they have in a bad economy. They saw the opportunity to expand by focusing south of the border but I wonder if they will need to change their business plan with the coming changes. Well right now they are providing work for many that need it and I hope they don't get to big for their britches.

http://m2.toledoblade.com/business/2011/09/08/Mexico-shipments-fuel-Bolts-rise.html

They are pretty much just following Express 1's play book....E-1 has for years agents on the border and sister company Bounce is the feeder to the system...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
They are pretty much just following Express 1's play book....E-1 has for years agents on the border and sister company Bounce is the feeder to the system...

Their expecting to do a third of the revenue which is good for a company this size, I would like to see things pick up a little but the miles and $/miles are pretty good.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Their expecting to do a third of the revenue which is good for a company this size, I would like to see things pick up a little but the miles and $/miles are pretty good.

Define pretty good Paul....

We've all heard of the lowball prices offered at Bolt....and we all know ya got to watch them like a hawk that they don't sneak cheap loads unto ya...

I am not bashing them...just repeating what is out on the road...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Paul wrote:

I would like to see things pick up a little but the miles and $/miles are pretty good.

I made good money while I was there...i never bought into the "they only haul cheap freight"...yea they will push the rate as low as the driver or o/o will let them, but if you hold out, they figure out you won't do it...

Good to see positive press about them...:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paul wrote:

I made good money while I was there...i never bought into the "they only haul cheap freight"...yea they will push the rate as low as the driver or o/o will let them, but if you hold out, they figure out you won't do it...

Good to see positive press about them...:)

Me neither Chef...they just kind of prod you to test the waters so to speak......it the game....glad we don't have to play anymore...:D

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Define pretty good Paul....

We've all heard of the lowball prices offered at Bolt....and we all know ya got to watch them like a hawk that they don't sneak cheap loads unto ya...

I am not bashing them...just repeating what is out on the road...

I don't think we get paid as much as you guys at Load 1, but I don't think we are at the bottom either. For the last 30 loads we averaged $1.21 for loaded miles and $0.97 for all miles. This is in an E350 with dimensions of 134x52x48 and a 2000 lb weight capacity.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm trying to figure out what they did to adapt?

They took advantage of other sources of freight but where's the adaptation?

What's this about their business plan?

Glad they are moving forward.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm trying to figure out what they did to adapt?

They took advantage of other sources of freight but where's the adaptation?

What's this about their business plan?

Glad they are moving forward.

They are working on changing the amount of automotive freight they haul, sorry that wasn't in the story. I am wondering what they are going to do to decrease their reliance on the freight coming out of Mexico because I believe there will be an impact on what Bolt does since they are more than a CV company. Bolt would like to decrease auto freight to 20% and they have made some steps in that direction.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think we get paid as much as you guys at Load 1, but I don't think we are at the bottom either. For the last 30 loads we averaged $1.21 for loaded miles and $0.97 for all miles. This is in an E350 with dimensions of 134x52x48 and a 2000 lb weight capacity.

You are doing well....:)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well that's not really adapting. Adapting would mean they are reaching into other markets with other services, managing more wisely, and trying different things. Sales is only a small part of the changes that could happen.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well that's not really adapting. Adapting would mean they are reaching into other markets with other services, managing more wisely, and trying different things. Sales is only a small part of the changes that could happen.

Right but they are working on taking auto freight from 80% to 20% so that of the industry slows again it will not have a big impact.