Houston, TX Layover

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hyperdrive (Mike) and I area making a delivery in Rosenburg, Tx which is around the Houston area. We will most likely be there through out the weekend and I would like to know if anyone knows of a Nice place to park and stay while in our straight truck.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
My original go to spot would be Galveston. But...with the recent hurricane, not sure what to expect there? Might want to shot LDB a PM as he lives in Pearland and can give you updated info.
The wife always like the Galleria district which is on the west side. Exit at Westheimer off 610 and a lot of stuff there. Only complaint is it requires some creative parking at some of the places.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Depending on what you want, Brazos Bend State Park isn't too far from where you deliver. They have an observatory and I believe on weekends you can view through the large telescope. They have some smaller scopes set up that you can view through even if the large one isn't open. As mentioned, the Galleria area is ok if you want the snooty shopping area but traffic/parking is a you know what and especially will be on black Friday weekend. There's NASA on the south side of Houston. Galveston is still torn up from the storm and while you can get there I don't know how much of it would be opened back up.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Wasn't thinking so much shopping in the Galleria, but pretty good night life and some of the best restaurants in Houston. Do agree though, parking is a pain in some of the places.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Tricia loves Texas too, Dave and Leo. Our one truck is called Tex, or the Texas truck. We drove down about 3 years ago to pick it up from the people we bought it from. We picked it up in Fort Worth and stayed the night. Took Tricia and the boys out to a nice Mexican place. I hope you folks find a nice place to have Thanksgiving Dinner. Be safe out on the road.

Here is a link to help you find some things to do. It looks cool. :)

Rosenberg Texas Civic & Convention Center - Welcome to Rosenberg

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
If your looking for a good clean quiet place try 45N at Richie Rd. - Flying J. Several rests. within walking distance, and across the street is a small mall with a classic car sales/showroom. Enjoy the warm weather!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Man, I was just at the Richie Road J last week. Nothing quiet there these days. When I started hearing truckload guys having trouble getting a load out, I should've known it was going to be bad. Houston is overrun right now, most likely with inbound freight to repair Houston and the surrounding regions. What small amount of freight that was coming out before is now being fought over like scraps.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
not to change the subject but unloaded thursday the 4th dec,already have our reload,of cource it doesnt pick til monday and no itdoesnt pick in texas,but pays well enough to go chase it down.