Household Fans

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have found in the summer that we can not live with out our table top fan. We spent some amount of time in a Wal-Mart studying the fan isle. They make your selection really pretty easy as they have so many fans running you can really check them out. We segragated each fan and tried it and we ended up with a medium priced fan that has now been with us two years. We have found that when our sleeper reaches the desired temperature and the rig master shuts down the sleeper gets styfeling. With the fan the air is always moving. We even use the fan when going down the road in the summer just to keep the sleeper cooler for sleeping.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
you know what funny about drivers? if we were going to buy something like that for the house we would just grab a cheap model, but if its for the truck we read the box study it ask for refrences for we buy one. i guess it's because more time is spent in the truck. wasn't trying to upset anyone.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
also, it's because we need to consider the power consumption, and how much we're plugging into an inverter, too - at home, we don't have to worry that we might be sucking too much power for the batteries to keep up with...:p

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I'm so glad you posted this. We haven't had the experience of running in the heat/humidity of the summer months yet. I wondered if the a/c plus the overhead vent fan would be enough. Of course, the vent fan is going to take the air conditioned air out and let in all that heat but I don't think we can run it without opening the vent. Guess we need to make another stop at a Wal-Mart to see what we can find. I imagine a motor home place (like Camping World) might have a small powerful fan also.

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
The best way to face life’s
changes is to look to the unchanging God.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
ac went out on my truck last summer and i got a 20 dollar box fan from wal mart and it made it pretty comfortable in the sleeper.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I have a roof mounted reversible intake/exhaust fan in my van. Works great. At first it ran in only one direction. Just recently I wired it up so it would run in reverse. Works great. It's not as good as running the engine and the a/c, but we vanners are tough.
:+ :+

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We also have a Fantastic Vent and use it when ever possible. The problem with the Fantastic Vent is that if you are parking near a running truck you often pull in those fumes so our vent will stay shut. Are vent also has a moisture sensor and if it even thinks it is going to rain it shuts! It gets stifling very fast. The counter top fan is a backup to the Fantastic Vent!

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Forgot to mention that my van roof fan has a goofy looking hood over it that keeps the rain out. Rolling or sitting still not a drop of rain gets in even in the worse duck drownder. As far as exhaust fumes, we vanners are tough.
:+ :+

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
We just found one in the camping section of a walmart. It is rechargable and can be charged or left running from a regular plug in or a 12 volt adaper and it also has a spot to put in about 6Dcell batteries. Charged and unplugged it seems to last about 4 hours havent tried it with the D's in yet

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
My Expierence only:

The Fantastic Fan + a table top will keep me happy until around noon or 85+ if the Humidity is not Mississippi type.

So from noon until about 8:30 its the Pro-Heat AC, than in the late evening I shut it down and back to Fans.

Draw Back, stay away from Truck Stops. The diesel fumes get sucked in no matter what, In, out does not matter I gagg on this stuff so be carefull who you park next to or choose your spot and location in the spot wisely.

I can get by for a while, but for hours on end (sleeping) the fumes usually coat the back of the throat.

A parking lot I am very happy at with my little energy saving system, but honestly I would rather be on a run,.