Hours-of-service rule overturned

PeachyPoo

Expert Expediter
I found the following. Has anyone else heard about this??

The United States Circuit Court of Appeals in Washington, D.C., has overturned the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's hours-of-service rule that went into effect Jan. 4. The ruling, which favors of Public Citizen and other groups that sued to block the rule, vacates the rule and leaves big questions about the future of the regulations that govern the hours truckers work and rest.

"We agree with petitioners that the rulemaking was arbitrary and capricious, because the FMCSA failed to take account of a statutory limit on its authority," the court ruled. "We therefore grant the petition for review and vacate the rule."

The court has remanded the rule back to the agency.

FMCSA spokesman David Longo said he didn't know what the immediate impact of the ruling would be on the enforcement of the rule. "FMCSA is still in the process of reviewing the decision and will make a statement once that review is complete," he said.

It's not clear how the ruling will affect enforcement, said Richard Henderson, director of government affairs for the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance, the organization that represents and educates police groups that enforce the rule. He said he doesn't know
whether drivers will continue to operate under the new rule or revert back to the old rule.

FMCSA has several options: it can accept the ruling, appeal it to the U.S. Supreme Court or ask for the full circuit court to review it. Industry insiders said FMCSA has been considering scenarios for months, including what would happen if the new rule were vacated. The new rule is probably dead and will probably be replaced by the old rule until FMCSA can revise the regulations, the insiders speculated.

The appeals court issued the ruling July 16. According the ruling, "the agency failed to consider the impact of the rules on the health of drivers ... Because the agency has wholly failed to comply with this specific statutory requirement, this single objection from petitioners is sufficient to establish an arbitrary-and-capricious decision requiring vacatur of the rule."

“We’re ecstatic,” said Joan Claybrook, president of Public Citizen. “This is a sweeping victory. The courts have finally told FMCSA that they have to put the health of drivers first. That’s always been their mission; they just haven’t carried it out.”

Claybrook noted that the ruling criticized "deficiencies of the rule” other than drivers' health. The court found troubling:

· Increasing driver time from 10 to 11 hours a day;

· Retaining the sleeper-berth exception;

· Not requiring electronic on-board recorders;

· Including a 34-hour restart provision.

Justification for retaining sleeper-berth exception "was not rational," the ruling stated. "We have grave doubts about whether the agency’s explanation for retaining the sleeper-berth exception would survive … review.”

Claybrook said there is no evidence that the new rule is worse or better than the old rule because it’s only been in effect for a little while. “Our concern is that drivers are put under an enormous amount of pressure by trucking companies to meet just-in-time requirements and so on,” Claybrook said. “When they get tired, the get into crashes.”

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
For FedEx Custom Critical Drivers:

In case you missed a fleet message sent this afternoon, The company says to continue logging under the new HOS rules until the feds sort out the appeals court ruling and advise our carriers what and when to make any changes.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, I'm not a FedEx Driver (yet) but I myself will continue to log under the new HOS rules until I see it in the newspapers and all over the news.

No doubt if there's any kind of "Major" change then the news will spread like wildfire.

Later, Bob.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
new is old and old will be new. Some things never change.
It will be interesting to see what Wal-Mart does. The biggest whiners of the new HOS rules

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You can read the FMCSA press release at...
www.fmcsa.dot.gov/contactus/press/2004/071604.htm
Its basicly keep truckin under present rules for 45 days,or until further notice.
P.S. Wasnt Joan Claybrook formerly secy of transportation?.Looks like she knows how to get things done. Remains to be seen if for the better or worse.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
>P.S. Wasnt Joan Claybrook formerly secy of
>transportation?.Looks like she knows how to get things done.

Perhaps you're thinking of Liz Dole, the only female SECDOT

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Terry I think you ar right.Joan Claybrook was head of the National Highway Safety Adimn under Jimmy Carter.Her present orginazition was founded by Ralph Nader.
(Aint GOOGLE great)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Yeh! I used to work for Ms Dole. She was very proud of the fact that she was the only woman ever to lead an armed force

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Last I heard was they have to have new rules in place no later than 52 days. Why 52 days? It took three decades to change the last ones.
Does anyone notice the timing of this? Seems odd that this is coming to light about the same time the toll issues and highway funds act are coming up for a vote. Create a diversion in order to get the toll amendment passed.
Politicians wouldn't do anything to decieve us would they?
At any other time, I don't think they would give PAT or CRASH the time of day.
Davekc