Hours of Service Concerns

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Puleeeze!!! Ateam, your ego has definitely gotten in the way
>of where this thread was going.

>You're so worried about
>something taken out of context that your pride prevents it
>from passing without backlash.

Sigh. You're right. It's a character flaw I have that gets the best of me at times. Sorry.

You did say you were getting
>mostly short runs. Now which is it? Are you making tons of
>money, or doing mostly short runs?

It is both. We've been receiving a number of short runs. That is the luck of the draw. It is NOT, as DaveKC suggested, the result of action taken by our carrier (FedEx CC) and the new HOS rules. Over a year ago, we had a great month running up and down the East coast, but never had a single run that paid over $1,000. More recently, (before the new HOS rules) we had one run from FL to WA that paid over $7,100. In recent weeks, we've had MOSTLY short runs. The way we dealt with the longer runs under the new HOS is described above.

What I gathered from your
>previous post, I'm guessing FedEx started giving you short
>runs cause you asked to take 3 hours off during the long
>one. It would be a simple solution in my eyes for FXCC to do
>that.

I have not gathered the same. FedEx has not taken us off long runs. It's just that by the luck of the draw, we've had more short runs than long in recent weeks. By the way, our definition of a long run is a run that keeps the truck moving 48 hours or longer; usually a coast to coast run. That's what we consider a long run. A typical overnight run where we may drive say 12-18 hours we do not consider long. That's just our personal way of looking at it.

Kindly note that Diane and I share the work 50/50. Unlike some teams where one driver may do most of the driving and the other most of the paperwork, we each drive half the time. If the run takes us into New York City, the one who drives is the one that's up. If we're in a tricky spot to back up to a dock, Diane works through it, or I do, depending on who is at the wheel at the time. Day or night driving, we both do it. With each partner carrying a full 50% of the driving load, we can lay down some serious miles when we have to, and be ready for the next run soon after. Once we got back into the groove after changing trucks, it's been rock and roll!

Back to your question, "Are you making tons of
money, or doing mostly short runs?" Lately, we've been doing short runs (our definition) and grossing (to the truck) over $1,000 a day. If you extrapolate that to 30 days, it's a $30,000 month; but as I said above, we do not expect that pace to continue. Again, and as I stated before (please note that, DaveKC), we do not expect this pace to continue. We do not expect to have a $30,000 month. We never have.

In fact, as I write this, we're sitting in TN waiting for a load. It's November 6. We ran every day Nov 1-5. But if no load comes today, the 6th will be a zero income day, which will significantly reduce our month-to-date daily average. This is simply another way of saying, we do not expect to gross $30,000 a month. Zero days are part of the game and those have nothing to do with long or short runs or new or old HOS.

>One other thing... if white glove units carry all
>these wonderful toys, how do they fit freight? J/K... I know
>there's room for a few skids.

A few skids or less IS the load most of the time. It is rare that we fill the truck with freight. In 2+ years of hauling WG loads, we can count on one hand the number of times the truck has actually been filled. Loads consisting of a single barrel or a cardboard box weighing 8 lbs surprise us less than loads that fill the truck. Loads like a couple of computer cabinets, four skids of newspaper inserts, one barrel of chile powder, two carts of data backup tapes, a couple pieces of museum art, and even something like two chairs that the shipper forgot to include in the previous truckload shipment are typical. We sometimes do automotive loads. Even those are usually a few skids instead of a full D load.

<snip>

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ateam

I am glad you addressed your "mostly short run issue". One can only respond to what you put out there.
And again, your carrier was never an issue, other than it was percieved by members that your company addressed your personal issue.
===================================================================
My concern was this quote below, rather than the above.

Ateam wrote
The implication that your trucks are doing better than us is also without merit. The FACT is, DaveKC, that if our daily revenue average from Nov 1 to date holds through the end of the month, we'll have a month over $30,000 gross to the truck. And if our mile average holds, we'll have earned that having driven less than half of the miles your trucks drive. Not to worry, though. We don't expect to gross $30,000 in November. We've had some great months on the road, but none that great. My point is simply that November will likely be a great month for your trucks, our truck, and the trucks of all other expediters that run hard in the busy season
======
I posted that our trucks have averaged 5,000 miles a week in Oct. Or, 20,000 miles for the past month. If you drive less than half my milage as you posted and gross over $30,000 for a month as you posted, that would be over $3.00 per loaded mile. Even if it is less, the implication that you are running at twice the rate is a total joke, or just plain foolishness.
Those are clearly not realistic numbers. That is why I responded to your post.
For someone who is a new member or new to the business, this type of information is clearly damaging and misleading.
While you may take it personally and shouldn't, my response to your post would be the same regardless of the author.
You wouldn't want to hear someone borrowing against their assets while considering this information.
================================================================
Back to HOS
Yes, it is clear they are not a benefit to the industry. As mentioned, getting on a regular sleep schedule will certainly help. Still a tough sell with teams when the truck is moving all the time, and they are trying to get sleep.
I like the Canadian setup better.

Davekc
owner
21 years