HOS (HOUR OF SERIVE) NEWBIE

apollo

Expert Expediter
I am a bit confused. If a van driver is not required to log, then they do not have to follow the HOS??

But if they start logging because of the possibility of a hazmat load, legality reasons, etc... do they then need to follow the HOS?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I am a bit confused. If a van driver is not required to log,
>then they do not have to follow the HOS??

This is a gray area. No vans do not have to follow the HOS but Most co try to stay close to the regs,to avoid DOT audits that could say they are pushing the vans too hard.
>
>But if they start logging because of the possibility of a
>hazmat load, legality reasons, etc... do they then need to
>follow the HOS?

Yes...Absolutly, except that there are different interpetations on how logs are to be kept. Our safety dept says a log for one day prior to the Hazement load is all that is necessary.I understand other companies require vans to log 7 days prior to a Haz load.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Boy - just when I thought I had it straight in my head, here comes another curve! Redy, I understood the logging requirement of 7 days prior was set by the FMCSA, which makes it federal law, so how can your company say that one day prior is all that you need?
On the subject of following HOS when not logging - it seems to be left up to the drivers. Some don't pay much attention, substituting common sense, & knowledge of their own tolerance. Like any "one size fits all" policy, it's often not a very good fit - there are days when I feel I can drive more hours, and days when I can't get in the groove at all. Since it didn't seem to occur to whomever decided the issue of acceptable hours behind the wheel that we're all different, even the same person on different days, I don't want to log. The same goes for sleeping - sometimes I just can't sleep more than 6 hrs at a time, but every now & then I'll sleep 10. All the regulations in the world won't change that.

beachbum20714

Expert Expediter
i've been driving for over 14 yrs (cdl) local.i have never had a problem with D.O.T..i work for a const.co and we are building two big 11 storie buildings for D.O.T in wash,dc.i did have a problem with d.o.t. 1 time.i was driving a rental truck,and it did not have a co. log go on(magnetics).the officer just wrote me up (no fine)and also i was 2 hours behind on my log book.he said by law he had to let me catch it up.left norfolk va,going to wash,dc,had log filled out from the point of leaving norfolk.when i get back to the shop i finish filling it out.did not know why he said i was 2 hrs behind,i was driving the truck,and had not stopped.but it was a federal d.o.t. man so i did not want to ##### him off.he said the guys at the scale houses usualy are just looking for over wieght trucks.he was sitting in his per,car when he pulled me in.i have to go thru d.o.t. check points every day.i drive local under 150 air miles.i run a log book ,but do not take it with me on runs.when d.o.t. ask i do not run a log book.if i get into or when i get into expediting i'll run a log book for what ever veh i'm driving.