Horton fan clutch failures HT650

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Anyone having trouble with this fan clutch or hear of problems??
If so did ya get any help,,,(I want a different style clutch installed)
My truck is on its 3rd one now in less then 2 years and have not been able to get Horton to return any calls yet:mad:
Freightliner tell me they have been replacing a few under warranty but no one is calling it a manufacturing issue???? I have till end of July on warranty and dealer says the new clutch will not be extended.
The center bearing where the rotary air union (air line and brass fitting)attachés to the hub is failing in each case..
It appears to be nothing other then a 1$ sealed bearing about the size of a dime. (properly out of china) This bearing is spinning a all times as far as I know and I think it way to small for this type of service,,let alone it shouldn't be a sealed bearing..

07 freightliner M2 with M.Benz

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When you have to replace the fan clutch on your own dime change over to a Bendix if possible as they seem to be built a little better.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I have a horton,with an air leak,it has been leaking for 200000 miles.when I rebuild the motor, I'll replace the fan clutch,going to electric fans like in a race car,won't rob the horse power when in use,lighter weight,and you will get increased fuel mileage

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Thanks ,,,I like Bendix products & if I rember right ya can grease the bearings..I cant rember tho if they can be set on manual after a failure due to sensors or air proplems.
The horton can be(which is an option I like),,, but wouldnt have helped in this case as the failure was in the bearings and resulted in destroyed hubs each time.

I also like idea of electric,,,never been around one but will look into it. Since I am sure Im going to have to find a spare fan clutch and throw it in the toolbox if Horton wont replace what I am running now..

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Update
Horton calls me back this afternoon
Women from warranty claims dept,,Has first failure report in front of her.Nothing on last failure as it properly to soon (just a few days ago)She also states all warranty will die with freightliner warranty..After splaining her to her I believe this is a issue with manufacturing she connects me to Field Tech dept.
A guy gathers up info and explains what is happening,,He knows all about it.....
When clutch dumps the air (shuts off the fan) the exhaust is being spent thru the bearing and not out the exhaust port where it should go..They are aware but at this point he also states nothing he can do other then gives me part (numbers Kit #)so I dont have to buy the whole assembly in the future..
Since they are aware of whats happening,,I ask if Horton will give me a diff style (model) he says they are available but cant answer that at this point. But will get back with me on that..I believe he will call,, but up in the air on the answer???

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
After looking at the electric fan web site and seeing they are advertising a 15% saving in fuel,,,Thats huge in my book I thinking when time comes to spend my money I going this route..
Anyone running electric fans??? Please post if they are a good deal????

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Well here I go again,,,sitting in Chicago waiting to p-up and the fan clutch is stuck...If its the fan hub I think this will be number 4. No obvious reasons for it..
I'm reallying starting to hate Horton...
Nothing has come apart so I'm going to try to run it home to the freightliner dealer in Monroe after I empty out in the morning.
I got a bad feeling on this,,,going to be out of pocket expense on my end..After this last pay period that ain't good..:mad:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Into the shop by 10am, Out just before they closed tonight..
Nothing fixed,,Last thing I heard was ,,We dont know whats wrong with it except the clutch is locked up as they threw their hands up. I knew this yesterday,,I didnt need 92 $ an hour ppl to tell me that..Two shifts of ppl worked on this ..:mad:
For some reason the truck is calling for the fan to kick in.Anyone run across this yet on the M-2s?
Starting at the back of the truck and working forward air valves where replaced..Sereval different sensors where changed out including A/C parts..Nothing has helped,Computer shows no codes whats soever.
Tomorrow brings tearing into my dash panel searching for some other sensor that they didnt have in stock and hope they get it shipped overnight.Also attempt to free up the clutch fan..

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
15 some hours to diag. the proplem.
less then 3 hours for complete repair..
Switch on the air dryer was calling for fan to kick on all the time.
Fan clutch disabled and replaced I think 2 bent bolts and reassembled it..Only got charged for 2.5 hours labor..I dont know why I feel lucky but I think it could have been worst..I was so close to bad mouthing that shop but I cant do that now I think they where fair on the labor rate..I payed for their lunch tommorrow,,I hope they dont drink it..
After last pay period and now starting this pay period in the shop,Its my worst all time pay check..Totally wasted 2 weeks:mad:
Thinking Ill just go home and try to shot some ducks this weekend and to start over next week...Gotta get this pent up feeling out of me somehow:D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone having trouble with this fan clutch or hear of problems??
So Horton stopped splashing. He looked towards the sound.
“That’s funny,” thought Horton. “There’s no one around.”
Then he heard it again! Just a very faint yelp
As if some tiny person were calling for help.
“I’ll help you,” said Horton. “But who are you? Where?
He looked and he looked. He could see nothing there
But a small speck of dust blowing past though the air.

rmsayers

Seasoned Expediter
I can only chuckel to myself reading the proplems you are having with this special clutch. My husband and I both delivered all the parts to make these Horton fan clutches. He drove for them for about 15 years and me 2 I also worked in the plant less than a year. They were good at one point and time but then when they switched where they got the bearing then they went down hill. The year about 2008 they had millions of warrenty work. The Horton fan clutch is made in Britton South Dakota and the World head quarters is in Minnesota.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At one time they were manufactured in St. Paul and considered the premier fan clutch. Then Horton heard a Who coming from the west " lower taxes, cheap labor and the rest". I think they have been cutting corners since then.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Never mind fanexpert,,I figured it out,,,that still looks like the front rotary air set-up..Something I will get away from when the time comes I hope..