Hit and run driver

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Pictures wouldn't of helped much, it's not noticeable damage...more so when you get into the engine and stuff.
A piece of a tow strap was discovered wedged in spring mount, new bolts were discovered in wheel hub when tire was changed, only things that might have been noticeable in pictures was the tension hinge/rod thingy for hood (I'm not a mechanic! Lol) was in storage and not on hood. Well that and break away part of bumper appeared slightly off...discovered new bolts in it also. They went to great lengths to cover up damage so that it wasn't noticeable by just looking at truck. Only once we started truck and drove it did things not make sense and as truck was inspected and normal maintenance like the tires was performed did things really start to add up!
Bunk is also now leaking...they recently complained about that but I know it didn't leak when they first got truck bc that was our truck until they started, we switched into the bigger truck when it opened up.

)0( Nasmaste )0(

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If that was done at pu, it probably doesn't matter if there was a face to face at drop off.
Either way, they will deny it.
Either you can prove it happened on their watch or you chalk it up to the previous driver.

If I were to put a driver in a vehicle I would do a video at pu. Inside and out.
The contract would also stipulate no holes to be made into vehicle and no wiring w/o my permission.
Of course it would have have plenty of properly wired hook-ups for CB, GPS,etc.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If it has new bolts and things were out of wack, it likely happened in the last couple of weeks. Any longer than that would have surfaced some other issues. Like a tire repair at another shop from being out of alignment. That type of thing. Tracking of any type would likely find that problem.
If it was towed and the electrical system was on a ECM dump would identify it as well based on certain parameters and hours. You would be surprised how much information can be pulled from one. Especially a disruption from a collision.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
It's going tomorrow to the shop going to hook it up see what the ECM reveals...that did cross our minds. Hopefully we get something from it.

)0( Nasmaste )0(

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I don't know if it works on trucks but a CarFax on a car will tell you the what's & where's of incidents, repairs, etc.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Zorry you hit on another good point...every driver thinks they are an electrician, installation expert etc! We have fixed this types of issue before and yes we addressing that also. One truck had a generator not working, a ticked off employee leaving and idk if it was sabotage or just him being an idiot but he cut wires and this, that and the other...I was almost asleep on bunk smelled smoke. All the wires running into bunk along wall to power everything were burning!
There are a few of our previous drivers I hope I never see out or I could face assault charges! Lol! Some are morons, some are malicious and some are liars...thankfully there's only about 4-5 I truly want to beat! :eek:

)0( Nasmaste )0(

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Howdy

I see this thread is a bit old and hope the issue has been resolved.

My main concern would be if there was anyone out there looking for you because of whatever this incident really was. Did they leave the scene of an accident, where there injuries, who knows, and until you do know the rest of the story if it were me, I would be worried.

Hopefully they just put it in the ditch, and no one else was involved. Thought a little quick cover-up patch job would get them off the hook. Who know's, they may even be driving for someone else by now.

I wonder if they had been there when the truck was turned in if the damage would have been spotted. I would assume your suspicions where heightened by them dumping of the truck the way they did, and probably made you look a lot closer.

Hope everything works out to your good.

Kevin