Hit and run driver

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Just had a team quit and drop off truck on a Sunday when no one was at shop. We got into town on Tuesday and it's obvious they've hit something, had some kind of accident and had some cover work done to truck. Any suggestions for tracking down any repair work done on truck they paid for themselves? They deny any thing of the sort of course but so far at three shops say damage appears to be from hitting something and having truck possibly pulled out of ditch or something of the sort...I would really like to prove damage was from them and seek financial compensation so I'm trying to gather hard core proof! :mad:

)0( Nasmaste )0(

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure how your contracts are written, but I wouldn't think that it would allow for just dropping off a vehicle and leaving and calling that good.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you think it was recent, retrace recent routes.
If damage is obvious, repair it, pull repairs from escrow, document it well, and let them prove it wasn't their damage.
I don't know why a team wouldn't want owner at the turn-in. Too much at stake not to meet face to face.
I would think owner would want that too.

Isn't fleet ownership fun ?:)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
How much $$ in repairs do you think they had done ?
See PM

Last edited:

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
if your truck has a QualComm contact them and have them give a 15 minute route tracking report for whatever time frame you need. You may be able to do it on your computer, I can track all trucks on what they call "Fleet Mapping"

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
No Qualcomm but based on Garmin activity I do have some leads. Unfortunately we don't own the fleet just manage, since no one was available to be at shop they were supposed to come back Monday. Didn't come in person just called of course! I'm definitely looking into making a new driver contract since we are taking care of repairs, etc and having issues with drivers trashing trucks!
On the bright side I will know what NOT to do if I ever decide to own trucks and have others drive them for me!!!

)0( Nasmaste )0(

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
How much $$ in repairs do you think they had done ?
See PM

Best guess...from the one who knows (and that's not me!) 700-800 bucks roughly.
After estimates we are looking at minimum of 3500 to make truck safe for new drivers...but in reality damage was probably 5000-6000 bucks. Thankfully a lot of it we can do and we have a shop that gives us good rates on work.

)0( Nasmaste )0(

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I'd be concerned about "what" they hit. If they didn't want to disclose to you that information and tried to cover that up...what else are they covering up?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Outside of the QC tracking, you might be stuck. Good reason for the escrow. Not because you can't trust all drivers, it is just good business sense. You can call say Freightliner, and see if any parts or repairs were done under the trucks serial number.
Outside of that, just take pictures before and after.
"Keep'er simple".

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
I'd be concerned about "what" they hit. If they didn't want to disclose to you that information and tried to cover that up...what else are they covering up?

Exactly! It's even more than the damage to the truck but possible damage to someone or something...if they had been honest about damage knowing company owner he wouldn't make an issue of it. He would have fixed it and moved on.

)0( Nasmaste )0(

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Outside of the QC tracking, you might be stuck. Good reason for the escrow. Not because you can't trust all drivers, it is just good business sense. You can call say Freightliner, and see if any parts or repairs were done under the trucks serial number.
Outside of that, just take pictures before and after.
"Keep'er simple".

Have some pictures but unfortunately not of some of the hidden areas where proof is...under the hood, inside wheel hub, etc.
And yes I'm definitely pushing for an escrow or "damage" deposit on our trucks...when money is on the line people tend to more responsible!

)0( Nasmaste )0(

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You might track the last states he ran in and contact state police. Give them the trucks serial number and see if any accidents were recorded. If a wrecker did pull it and the police were called they would have a record.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You might track the last states he ran in and contact state police. Give them the trucks serial number and see if any accidents were recorded. If a wrecker did pull it and the police were called they would have a record.

Good advice. Even if they didn't tow it they likely would have a "incident report" with either the serial number or plate number.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
"... and let them prove it wasn't their damage."

Wow

Probably not the right course of action. Fleet owner has to prove the damage, not the other way around. Documentation and photos would be necessary to prove anything.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I wonder if a call to the police or trooper'd office would be in order. Mainly to see if the truck shows up in an accident with a report. I don't know if that stuff shows up nationally. And run his license again to see if he has citations that may be related?? Just a thought.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
I could be wrong but the way this is going down I'm highly doubtful it was reported...I'm seriously hoping that means no one else was involved because at least then that's one less thing to worry about.

)0( Nasmaste )0(

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I could be wrong but the way this is going down I'm highly doubtful it was reported...I'm seriously hoping that means no one else was involved because at least then that's one less thing to worry about.

)0( Nasmaste )0(

As a fleet owner, I think you would be well served to do your due diligence to confirm nothing did happen. A follow up with state police would confirm or at least provide cover if something came up at a later date.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If the driver's brought the truck in on Monday, the damage was discovered, and they said We didn't do it, how does anything change ?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the driver's brought the truck in on Monday, the damage was discovered, and they said We didn't do it, how does anything change ?

If they didn't do it, who did?

I don't hire drivers, but if I did I think a standard walk-around inspection before turning the truck over to the new driver would be standard. Photos are a big help too, that way you have documented proof that "those marks weren't there when we gave the truck to you". Then, when the driver brings the truck back with substantial damage that looks like it was repaired just enough to get under way again, you have him by the short hairs when he tries to say he didn't do it. "OK, who did do it? It wasn't like that when we hired you, here's the proof".