Hino's agian

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I'm still trying to get back into this but after numerous tries at buying a truck I posted an ad to find a owner looking for a truck. I've gotten 3 phone calls so far and 1st question I ask is what kind of truck. I get the same answer "It's a 06/07 Hino, last team took off and I need a new one" I've had 2 of them tell me how they have spent all this money on making everything ultra low weight, custom aluminum box, aluminum frame, aluminum wheels. Why would you spend that kind of money when you can get a class 8 truck that will run better, faster and cheaper? Also doesn't seem like many owners can keep teams in these hino's. Can anyone come up with a good reason to spend money aluminuizing a hino? It's still a hino after the fact that can't even go up a hill.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am trying to figure out what you all are talking about;

not being able to go up a hill

being cheaply built

now an aluminum box with a cheap aluminum frame?

Look there must be something positive about the truck, I mean isn't it a toyota product?

I am finding a few of them out on the road, driving not on the side of the road. I guess my point is that I also see a few NPRs out there and don't read the same critizism with them as with the Hino and those are cheaply built.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
If I was gonna buy a truck it would be a class 8, but it wouldn't be for a straight truck it would be for a tractor trailer. A tt can haul the tt loads the straight truck loads plus brokered loads so you should be able to run everyday. I don't know if I would ever get back in a straight truck period. To much downtime.

rollybil

Expert Expediter
I agree with you. I own a 2006 Hino and I should have bought a used Class 8 truck. This Hino is junk, poor miles/ gallon, barely get's up hills at 45 mph. Can not keep driver's in this heap of junk.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
This is gona raise alot of opinions.

I kinda agree with the class 8 stretch but doing the sleeper as nice as a Bentz. I absolutly love the layout and comforts of my Bentz, quality could be better but the thought process and workings of it is second to well maybee ICT.

But my argument is and time will tell but my X-truck (KW T-300) is proving me correct over 700K no rebuild no big $ outlayed into repairs is doing great. Hauls the same loads as a Single Axle class 8 is cheaper (probably not by much) to operate and still holds up to good looks.

So is a class 8 really better than a T-300? I have expierenced a fair share of problems but she seems to be holding up just fine. As for the few extra thousand I spent on my T-3 vs anything else except a Sterling (which I did not look at) in MY OPINION IT WAS $ WELL SPENT.

So I would have a hard decision in 5 more years another T-3 or Class 8?

Just my opinion, I would never step down posts by owners of others make my case over and over. Glad I did what I did, Dave KC was a big help.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
The KW T300 is about the only class 7 chassis I would consider, bacause it is basically a class 8 KW chassis with a smaller engine, it has a great reputation for long life and durability. The thing is though, when looking at all build costs, it really does not cost a whole lot more in the KW lineup to build a T800 or 900 with a nice powerful engine like a Cummins ISM11 or Cat C9 over the cost of a T300 chassis that will have a small Cummins ISC or C7, the extra cost will make up for itself in performance and resale value and in many cases even better MPG with an engine that will not lug. Plus, justr about all the class 8 engines have a 500k major parts warranty over the 250k the ISC and C7 have. Gives that added value out on the highway. I know Hino and Toyota are good names, but those trucks and the other class 7 city jobs by dollar to dollar comparison are a waste of money compared to the overall class 8 experience. Go class 8, you never go back down. Mudflap

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I get 8-9 mpg's out of my Hino I have 54K miles on it, and have never had a problem at all. I'm sure I will but so far it's been great. I run it as a D unit, I don't have trouble with hills.

I don't expect the truck to last 500k but you know that when you buy it.
I do expect the truck to be under powertrain warranty for 3yrs no mileage restrictions, so in 2 3/4 years if I am nervous I'll trade it.

As for having your drivers quitng because of a "Hino" truck, I find that hard to believe. Unless you spec'd the truck with cheap seats, and no air ride susp.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Mudflap, a T-800 or 600 is approxmently 30K more than a T-3 give or take 3-5K depending on options you want. Thats alot of repairs for 250K more in warranty. Granted you can always count on 10K in higher resale, so will I spend an extra $15K on repairs in the next 210K miles? I hope not, not dissagreeing just pointing out what I priced..

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Broom gave one of the strongest arguments for the 300 or 330. The class 8 is likely a little more durable, but at a price.
$30,000 buys alot of repairs.
The other issue is that you loose some weight carrying ability when you go to the 8.
That may or may not make a difference.
Unless of course, you add an additional axle and then everything changes. How many loads do you haul just to cover the cost of the tag and FET tax?
Keep in mind, I am only talking new vehicles. My opinion on used would be different depending on the vehicle.
Ultimately, it comes down to what did you pay initially, and what does it REALLY cost to operate?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

rollybil

Expert Expediter
I spent 90,000.00 on this Hino. The driver's do not last in this truck because the best fuel mileage anyone has gotten is 7.5/ gallon. All the drivers I have had all loved the interior of the truck and one guy said he felt like he was staying in a luxery hotel, but he could not stand the fact that the truck would only max out at 45 mph going up hills and only get 7 miles per gallon. The seats are air ride, its an 84" walk-in condo sleeper, kitchen counter, sink, double bunk with the lower one being wider, the works inside. Mechanically, it has had it's problems and for a new truck, to many problems. This truck has spent more time as a lawn ornament than as a truck hauling freight. I own two cargo vans and they are supporting the truck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You may have answered your own issues. Another $10,000 and you would have a much different set of circumstances whether a KW or a Sterling etc. After a few years of use, I bet you can quess which ones have the better resale value.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
To get back to answering Themagicone's first question, I don't think all the aluminum in the world will help those Hinos for expedite use, they just don't look to me to have adequate horsepower for this sort of work, and when an engine lugs to do a job it wastes fuel and engine life. For a C or D unit that can haul 10k+ lbs, I would recommend having at least a 300 HP engine. Myself like many other class 8 owners have found the big truck engines of 400 HP or more in an expedite truck actually get better MPG than most of the smaller displacement class 7 engines do. They run at much lower RPM's on the road to make their power too which helps them last longer, they are also usually smoother and quieter and never lug on hills, which makes for better driver comfort. I started out driving for owners running in many a little class 7 heap and had an FL70 myself, never forgetting the thrilling experience of going 45 up hills. Mudflap

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
I haven’t been on in a while one I’ve been busy 2 I’m tired of the dead horse thing its ok to knock on e company and not another on here. I own a 2006 Hino and I think your all wet! It goes up hills just fine and to add I pass all 18-wheelers and even some 4 wheelers doing so and since being with A Blair have been in all lower 48 plus 4 Canadian provinces. Don’t know who’s paying you guys to knock the Hino’s but get some real facts before typing will ya!
It’s the same people over and over knocking the truck and only one owns one and he’s never drove it from what he’s said on here! Every Hino owner I have talked to out here loves there truck as do I, see me out here run with me a while if ya can keep up!

Alvin

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
The most powerful Hino engine is the JO8E-TB rated 260 HP and 585 ft lbs torque. I'm pretty sure my MBE4000 450 HP will keep up with you just fine ;) Mudflap

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
my little bitty volvo don't havee any problems going up hills and i get 11.5 mph unless i put my foot in it then about 8.7 mph but them hino's must be better but in market to become fleet owner who's got a hino 4 sell maybe if price is right

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
>my little bitty volvo don't havee any problems going up
>hills and i get 11.5 mph unless i put my foot in it then
>about 8.7 mph but them hino's must be better but in market
>to become fleet owner who's got a hino 4 sell maybe if price
>is right

How much fuel do you use at 11.5mph? 8.7mph?

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
if i drive with out putting my foot to the floor 11.5 if i kick it up to 75 + it drops thats figgering in idle time to
465 hp 12 speed

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Well, if it were MPH, that is about what 260 HP will do up a long grade under load, been there before :'( Mudflap