Hino Trucks and hills

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
On the same note just because it’s new and you don’t know any thing about it why knock it? And bragging about a truck with 500hp loosing a injector and not noticing it is hardly a task for a truck with what 2,000 lbs in the box? Still most likely have like 416 hp left that’s what 2/3’s the hp of most expedite straight trucks and still over kill and trust me you pay for that extra in bottom line! And when they do break they cost a whole lot more to repair.

Alvin
2006 Hino

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There was nothing in this thread about a 500hp truck. Broompilot's post was a good example of how a truck with a decent torque rating can perform.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Star and as for Garmin and DarkH, the T-3 has no where near 500hp try 280 on a 8.6L and the post was about Climbing Hills. If your gona get so upset Garmin maybee you should not respond to Posts, just stated a fact that I was very suprised at when I found out I had no #4 injector and the truck amazed me how well it had done.

I did not in anyway knock the Hino brand. I will say good luck on your purchase I hope the truck does everything you want it to do. I purchased my truck soley on the advice of others Dave and others who said "its built better than a tank" was the words he used. So far I cannot dissagree, sure I have my problems but parts, and places to fix any repairs has never ever been an issue.

So my thanks and hats off to Dave, he truley guided a NEWBEE in the right direction.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
So my thanks and hats off to Dave, he truley guided a NEWBEE in the right direction.

===============================================
Glad I could help. We have had numerous KW's over the years and they seem to have the best overall maintenance record. Only complaint is a smaller cab, but if one can get past that, they are a very durable truck.
If they ever increase the cab size I'm not sure I would buy anything else. T2000's are roomy but are too heavy for a expediter application compared to other trucks. They also only have a 72 inch sleeper which is a deal breaker for most expedite teams.
I like them on service as well. You don't get "we will have your parts in a week" or "we will work you in if we have time over the next several days"
Anyway, you gota nice ride Broom and it still has alot value.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

garman351

Expert Expediter
(Simon Says)

"Pay more attention to the topic"

We were talking about gearing issues with Hinos, there is many People interested in buying them and this is a topic of concern for Hino owners and People such as my self waiting to pick-up their new unit!

Hino's are a new truck for hauling freight and most of us are trying to figure out solutions to help each other out.

Your truck if it has 500Hp runs on five cylinders and can pull a full load over the biggest hills without down shifting and your brand is the best, "I'm happy for you."

Broompillet: Thanks for your advise, it was very inspirational.

Garman351

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I did make a post about gearing issues, and you can send me a personal note and I will give you objective advice. I am considering selling trucks, and trust me, I can spec them as well or better than most novice salesmen... like forgetting to add remote fittings for lubing the clutch, etc.
My point about the Hinos revolves around these factors:
1) Can you get parts readily and what about servicing?
2) I assume they are relatively inexpensive, or why are so many folks so excited about them?
3) From what I see, I don't think they will hold up structually- they are not that solid a cab and they are made of steel...vs. aluminum, or composite material doors like Acterra/or the 8500 Sterlings
4) If you want a 6 speed, go for it, but with a 265 hsp. motor and low torque, even with a 4.1 rear end, your final drive is 3.2, and you don't have the torque & hsp. to climb those steep hills under load. You will have to drop a gear to 4.1 and there goes your fuel economy.
With 315 hsp & 900 torque left at 55 mph I can climb most hills without gearing down. In fact, I pass everyone in sight... That is the Jeff Jones approach (the HDX T-300) that worked so well for so many of us.
Sorry if I offended anyone: just the facts.

garman351

Expert Expediter
(Simon Says) Good points! "I do like your handle you can use that for a lot of things to say."

Hino's have been out for a 1 1/2 years now, here is the story.

* Hinos are a very affordable truck to buy. (Quality Built)
* They come with the only three year warranty at no cost.
* 7.3/4 % interest rate for financing, instead of around 10.0% for a Freightliner etc. I work for a living and I cannot afford to pay rip off interest rates to other dealers who make big money off their extra points they make off financing.
* Hino road service and dealer support is the best. Broompilot had a computer go out on his Hinny and he was blown away on how he was taken care of,being picked up dead on the road and repaired.

The point is Hinny's have a lot to prove compared to your truck, freightliners etc. Are Hinny's better than other trucks (Hell No)
its just refreshing to see an up and coming truck that may save us all a lot of money on a quality made unit that most of us will have to buy compared to that $105,000 bare bones Freightliner at 10% interest, thats all!

My 07-Hinny cost me $95,000 with a 95in AA sleeper, two tool boxes, chrome bumper,aluminum wheels all around. Thermoking APU,100watt fog lights, optional wide Bolstrom seats two,everything air ride/dump valve. Duel tanks,etc. I thought I did preety good with my deal. I worked six dealers for two months and it came down to Interstate Trucks out of Romulus who won my business. Robert Kemski the salesman never lied to me and its funny I had to work other dealers to death to match their price I received from day one. That is the best tip of the day if your looking for a new truck. And its funny they even have trucks in stock if you dont need a special order like we did. Their number is (734) 467-7100 I do not get any spiff, I just want to pass on all of my hard work to help anybody who might be looking for a new truck to get a great deal without dealing with a lot of sales People double talk and false promis's.

Ok skeptices, I know what you say about low torque & horse power and other things you say. The fact is these trucks are never posted by anybody in any threads as to being a bad product ever! And I have heard from many owners who has even bought more of them for their fleets. Their out there working and doing a good job. Going up hills with a full load as reported by many Hinny owners is not a problem at all. I have heard of many owners getting around 10 MPG after break-in.
Any Freightliner dealer etc services Hinny's through out the USA.

And the best part is Hinny's are American made, "Oh they have Jap parts" so what so does most everything else now days.

Garman351

DanJ

Seasoned Expediter
Hino's are also being built in Woodstock Ontario, where Toyota is also building a new car assembly plant. They just started production a few months ago.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Any Freightliner dealer etc services Hinny's through out the
>USA.

The Volvo dealer in New Haven, IN (near Ft. Wayne) also sells Hino trucks.

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Thats because they are also a Mack dealer a lot of them are takikng on the Hino's to make up for now a lack of mack medium duty trucks.

Alvin

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Where did I say I blew out a computer?

It was a failed injector, and as for Dead on the Side of the Road, the truck has never ever been repaired anywhere where it did not go under its own power 250K miles with NO TOWS, or Road Side Assistance.

As for the price you paid I do not see that being a GREAT BARGIN, more like just another fair price. I paid slightly more than that but got a lot more.

Last I checked PACAR was offering right at 8% financing, 20% less than what was posted.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Sorry Broompilot:
It must of been another Hino owner who I talked to who had the computer go out on them?

You dont think I received a great deal, I felt pretty proud of my self thinking everyhting I received for $95K was pretty darn good.

What all did you get that is close to my price or better? My truck is pretty much loaded except I did not order a tag axle or lift gate. Which I should of! As mentioned I have a double A sleeper top of the line 95 Inch loaded preety good except no shower or toilet.

Ive seen 84In sleepers on Hinos go for around $88K

How about any one else how did you make out, now you have me thinking Broompilot, atleast until I hear what you have purchased?

Thanks
Garman351

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Okay folks I have another question, has anyone heard of or seen a Hino with a Tag or Push Axle? If so how does it perform? Are there any problems that anyone knows of? Just asking. We already have one being put together with a tag axle, reefer and lift gate. Just wanted some input from anyone who may have one similair. I myself have not seen one or heard of one with a tag. Am hoping it will be okay. We ordered an autoshift, but it has the 6th speed engaged, I know garman you mentioned glad I ordered the 6 speed but maybe you misinterpreted that when I said the 6th gear is engaged. All the 07's have that 6th gear, speed or whatever it is called, you have to have the dealer hook it up. Am still a little worried about the rear gears, we got the 5.10 the lowest offered (or should I say highest?? heck I don't know!) but anyhow they are working on getting the 3. or 4. something approved at Hino for the autoshifts and when they come out, we may have it put in. Darkunicorn you said you knew someone who had a lower numbered gear put in theirs and gets good power uphill and better mpg. But our dealer said that could void the warranty and with such a good warranty I wouldn't want to screw around with it until they approve them. But anyhow thanks in advance if I can get some info on tag or push axles....Have a great week folks.:)

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Yupp that would be me only 2 have ever failed and of course guess who got one of them? Oh yeah me but they took good care of me towed me 400 miles to dealer paid the bill on that the only down side was the time loss because a rep had to come out and check it out because it was so rare wanted to make sure wasn’t another problem causing it was not long after I got the truck too they think it was welded on while batteries was connected but could have been a bad one who knows because it quit going down the road it’s the only Hino problem I have had so far.

Alvin

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Not from what I’m told it don’t you order the gear swap its called right from the people that build the truck they ship it do your dealer pay 1hr and you pay 1hr labor to have the new ones put in has to be done by a dealer though. And think they are only allowing it on the expedite trucks.

Alvin

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
don't think she'll need any pushing George I've been maxed out and haven't needed help yet.
do a web or google search you'll find out they pull 53' trailers up and down the west coast with day cab 338 Hino's and a number of other things you'd be suprised I was and I now own one!
I don't miss my International and 9sp at all.

Alvin

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
dark, hey hi. I heard the day cab 338's haul 53 footers, haven't seen one yet. Maybe just last minute worries. On the rear gear, the dealer called and emailed Hino, they approve the lower 5. gear but nothing lower than that on the autoshifts, they are testing the lower (higher?) gears but have not approved them yet. We have already gotten the lowest one we could. Lower in number higher in gear right? Whichever... Take care

garman351

Expert Expediter
It might not be a Freighliner pushing the Hinos up any hills "Black tiger"

I read another post that some fleet owner is fed-up with Freightliner service going down hill, I guess if he deals with Alumijunk that would make sense.

Garman351