Hino Trucks and hills

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There has been questions raised here about Hino's hill-climbing ability. I've now talked in person with two drivers of Hino expediter trucks. Based on their comments, I don't believe Hino is a hill-impared truck. I asked both drivers about their Hinos and hills. Both said their trucks did just fine.

The most recent was a boyfriend/girlfriend team that had just gone over Donner pass the day before. The male had been driving trucks over a decade. He was quite pleased with Hino's performance over Donner pass. He said he easily maintained the 55 mph speed limit going up Donner's hills.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Something more than anecdotal evidence is required before we start spreading the notion that Hino "cuts the mustard". :)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Very true words.I would wonder how mugh weight was loaded when the truck climbed Donner pass and was it wide open.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Hino going up hill's?
I have done so-much research on these trucks I feel I know more than the sales People who sell them.

A Hino should go up hill's with no problem at all,because the stock units comes with a 4.10 rear gear standard! (Not Good) For highway use. We just bought an 07 Hinny and will be having the rear gear changed to a 3.70 so we are not wide open at 70Mph like the test unit we drove. We could almost take off in third gear because how they are geard.

I have heard of one company who is putting in 3.42 gears and they claim to run around 1950 Rpm's at 70Mph. But I wonder if they have any low end power left in them.

Hinny's will be hard to beat once the changeas are made to take them from being a inner city truck to an over the road truck.

Garman351

garman351

Expert Expediter
(Blacktiger)
I just bought a new Hinny, I'm trying to figure out how to spell it either your way or mine?

I did have to laugh about your comment!

Or you can kiss my Hinny/Hiney? when I'm going up that hill :D

garman351

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
How is your Hino with the new gear setup you talk about?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
You must have the standard my hino has a Allison and its geared way lower than that but it does good on the hills run once with a person with same setup as mine but had the gear swap to higher gears and on mt eagle she blew me away and with about 2 mpg better to boot. On the auto at least with the higher gear it shifts down sooner in to the peek toque range and truck runs right up the hill on little grades though don’t even notice even in the stock.

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
55 if they have the allison is the sweet spot in the rpm range I rarely go below that but if speed limit is higher I'd rather go up @ 65 :) (yeah even at max weight - fule used)

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah, besides there is no way I would consider anything less than a class 8... but that is just me.

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
any thing over 32k GVW and has air breaks is considered a class 8 truck. But there are light class 8 day cab to full down the road integrated sleeper class 8 there are heavy class 8 day cabs but most are lighter class 8’s not to be picky but most people don’t realize that.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just talked to a Hino driver the other day and I asked him over the c.b the very same question how does it do on hills ,his reply, depends on what side of the hill your talking about. enough said

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
OK MY TURN I wanna bragg...... I just took a run from Seattle to Phoenix via Salt Lake City. Cabbage Patch plus many many others around the Grand Canyon, all done on 5cyl. Yep I have an injector that went bad last Weekend, WHAT AN ENGINE THIS CUMMINS IS, shes been idleing rough but only 5cyl with 6K in the back and I could not tell any diff in output. Some popping at 7K and higher eleveations after reaching the top and letting of the gas but other than that she climbed them all and passed all of them uphill. (I let the others pass me going down.)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Now THAT's a positive mental attitude. His injector fails and he still finds reason to brag about his engine! If only all truck drivers knew how to look on the bright side like that.

The result is the same. Injector failed. Injector Fixed. The feelings are different. Broompilot did not magnify the injector problem into an opinion about a junker engine. Instead, he got it fixed, enjoyed the ride, and praised his engine manufacturer.

How do you feel when driving down the road with a failed injector? The choice is entirely up to you.

garman351

Expert Expediter
(Daveke)
We are waiting to pick-up our new Hiney by mid Oct. The dealship just received new 370 gears for another Hiney on his lot. They are installing them so they can run some highway tests, I will let everyone know the results.

As far as you automatic Hiney owners/drivers goes. With a 5-speed auto and with factory 4.10 gears you should be able to drive through the mountains instead of going over them! With that low gear ratio and lacking another gear I cannot imagine driving them down the highway at 65 Mph. We drove a 6-speed manual model and it was wide open at 70Mph 2,600 rpm's with the 4.10 rear gears.

I have heard of around 7.5 Mpg to around 8.5 on a auto unit.

Dont get me wrong we just bought a new Hiney, but they are considered inner city day trucks and they are being transformed into highway legands once everything gets ironed out with them. That is why the first thing you need to do with a new Hiney is to get rid of the cheap lack of support day seats that comes standard with them.

Garman351

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That combo should be better than the 4;10. The real question will be what rpms at highway speeds and how much shifting on grades with a load on.
It will be interesting to hear your test results. I am assuming you are using a 6 speed?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

garman351

Expert Expediter
Broompilot:
Its great your Cummins runs on five cylinders and its an awsome truck.

The topic was about new Hino trucks & gearing issues!

Garman351

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A couple of points are in order:
1) I researched them just a bit, and I don't think the units will hold up over time. Course, I own a Pete, and I don't have stuff falling off...
2)With only 265 hsp/and what torque? 660 or so? That's only equivalent to a DT 466, Cat C-7, or small 8.3 Cummins... That's not a lot of torque to climb over 10,000 ft.
3) I have 4.10 with Low pros and I can drive 85 mph if I want. My sweet spot is about 62-63 with an 8.3L ISC with 315 hsp/950 torque. Now that my BR's (M720's) are at half life or so, I can get 8.75 to 9.2 mpg fairly regularly: even at 65 mph!

My point: it is a combination of factors with these smaller engines: those of you who think that 3.70 is great, you really should do some homework. With a 6 spd or even a 10 spd, you will have to gear down perhaps twice, and there goes you're fuel economy!! I can climb hills in the Apalachians all day long, and only have to gear down once on the steepest ones (W on 40 before Ashville, with 8,000 lbs on board). On most occasions, with lighter loads, I pass everone without gearing down unless speed drops to 55.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
So what- it's just a thread... I can vouch for it as well, I had a faulty injector on the 05, and the only thing I noticed was some pinging on takeoff. When I got to Cummins, they replaced it asap, checked the adjacent cylinder for heat stress, and sent that puppy right back to Bosch.
When Hino can build a better truck with more torque, I may give them credit. Just because Toyota produces it, does not mean it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. If I could have afforded it, I would have got a Sterling 8500 with the C-9 (especially since they are the only decent well built truck that offers it!) Peterbilt doesn't offer it in a 335, or the coming 340.