Hino "D" unit

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
I would like to get some feed back from you Hino owner, my wife and I are tired of living in a cargo van, getting long in tooth I guess. Found a 2007 Hino with 176000 with good comfort features at a very nice price. I need some suggestions on what to look for on the inspections and any other items of interest.

guido4475

Not a Member
If that is what you are considering or wanting, go for it.Have you seen the Hino dealer in Findlay, Ohio, with new Hino's loaded, with 96" sleepers and apu's for around 65k? Pretty cheap for a new truck, with all of that on it.But I have no knowledge of a Hino, except they use a really quiet running Toyota engine, that most have said are underpowered in the hills and average around 8 mpg.If space is the only regret in a van, why not go to a unicell,cargomaxx or something along those lines? I came out of a s/t and went into a van and wouldnt go back.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
If that is what you are considering or wanting, go for it.Have you seen the Hino dealer in Findlay, Ohio, with new Hino's loaded, with 96" sleepers and apu's for around 65k? Pretty cheap for a new truck, with all of that on it.But I have no knowledge of a Hino, except they use a really quiet running Toyota engine, that most have said are underpowered in the hills and average around 8 mpg.If space is the only regret in a van, why not go to a unicell,cargomaxx or something along those lines? I came out of a s/t and went into a van and wouldnt go back.

Yes, the engine is really quiet
Yes, it is underpowered even small mole hills slow it down to 55
Yes, I average 8 to 9mpg Mine has 205K on it
Would I buy a Hino with 176K on the clock, NO WAY
I've had alot of problems with mine a 2007, might just be my experience though, check with Wingnut since she owns a fleet of Hino's
I have heard that you can't do an in frame rebuild on these trucks(not sure if that is true)
remember this is just my opinion:)

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I Don't Own a Hino, But I Do Drive One! A 2008, with 294,000 Miles on it, I Flat Out Don't Like It! Under Powered, Especially in the Mountains and even Not so Steep Hills! The 96" Sleeper Looks Nice But The Lower Bunk isn't Even all the way Across Causing Constant Back Pain! It is Regulated at 65 Mph. and it Holds it Right at That-65,My Mileage the last time i checked was about 8-1/2 Mpg. "IF" I was going to Buy One I Would Buy it New and Get rid of it just before the Warranty Expires! As the used one's go, I Don't Know! :D

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
I'm not an owner of a Hino but I've talked to a fellow who owns one when we did a freight transfer. Basically his words were : Nice interior, crappy truck, non-existent service.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The Hino is a good truck for its intended use. Local Delivery's.
They are too underpowered for long distance cross country runs.
I would recommend you buy a Class 8 truck.
My 2006 Freightliner Columbia gets around 10 MPG, has more power than I will ever need and rides smooth with airbags front and rear. It was designed to do the job it is doing.
There are a lot of great deals out there right now.
Good Luck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would do a search as there are a lot of issues with these trucks. As mentioned, the biggest problem is trying to use them in a OTR application which they aren't designed for.
There is a reason they have a cheap price whether new or used. Get what you pay for.

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
Thanks to all for the come back, it is appreciated. I will pass on the Hino, after what I read about Dakotas problems. I think we will look into a CargoMaxx or Unicell. Thanks again for your input.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Re: Hino "Diggin" unit

Regardless of what the experts say, Hino's are cheaper than the U.S.A name brand trucks ( Freighty's, Sterling Silver Sterling etc.) and are hurting the freight rate for those guys running those expensive U.S.A name brand trucks. They bash Hino's because they just can't stand being beat and beat and beat.
The bigger question is should YOU continue to be an expediter? You should get out of expediting while you can or at a minimum move up to Class A with a 48 or 53 Logistic Van or Reefer or both.
Maybe you could sell your expediter and become a truck salesman or a freight broker.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Regardless of what the experts say, Hino's are cheaper than the U.S.A name brand trucks ( Freighty's, Sterling Silver Sterling etc.) and are hurting the freight rate for those guys running those expensive U.S.A name brand trucks. They bash Hino's because they just can't stand being beat and beat and beat.
The bigger question is should YOU continue to be an expediter? You should get out of expediting while you can or at a minimum move up to Class A with a 48 or 53 Logistic Van or Reefer or both.
Maybe you could sell your expediter and become a truck salesman or a freight broker.

Not sure what you are basing that assumption on? I don't believe truck manufacturers have any bearing one way or the other on the rates. I could buy a used 20k KW that would run circles around a Hino.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter

"basing that assumption on?" ------ I could buy a used 20k KW that would run circles around a Hino.

If you are running circles around a Hino, then maybe, just maybe that be what we be "basing" on ---- We haul freight, make money and grow whilst YOU run in circles.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I like my hino's and have had good luck with them. The new ones that have the emmissions system on them are a pain and tend to have injector problems. My older hinos get 9-12 MPG and seem to have lots of power for heavy loads & hills. My '08's and newer are getting between 8-10 MPG but still seem to be pulling heavy loads & hills well. I think all of them could use another gear between 3rd & 4th when pulling hills: 4th is too high and 3rd too low. Better yet, tweak the 3rd & 4th gears! :) Toyota has been excellant at making the repairs quickly anytime I needed a truck fixed. All in all, I'm pretty happy with them.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you like them, then that is all that matters. If you are climbing a hill in 3rd or fourth gear, how fast are they going?

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I have a 2008 Hino. It is a little under powered. With 12k in the box and running IH80, 81, or 68 I downshift to 4th or 5th and speed is 40 to 45 mph. Sometimes I pass a big truck, sometimes they pass me. Mine is govered at 68. Ya can't beat the service! They are coming out with a 300 hp and tandem axel as an option for the 2012 models.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I have 400k plus on my 07 Hino - and have had only minor problems.
Its not underpowered. If you're bogging down in the hills try, changing your fuel filter.
I popped a head gasket about 50k miles ago. Which I brought to the dealer the day the warranty expired. Hino corporate covered the repair, and even sent a corporate TECH out to inspect the engine, according to Rush in Fontana popped head gaskets are rare with hinos.

I suspect I popped the Head Gasket pulling the grapevine with a load during the summer, I stayed in it and let it run into the red like a retard.

All in all I have spent more money repairing my APU, than my truck.

Yes they can be in-framed.

I get about 10 MPGs now that I have slowed down to 58 mph.

I have a gulfcoast oil filter, (single element) which is nice, I change the filters myself, which helps keep untrained monkeys off my equipment.

It seems the more work I do on the truck myself, the less problems I encounter. Same with the apu - since I stopped taking it in to carrier, it seems to be more reliable.

This should be a general lesson to all owner operators. Mechanics don't give a rats *** about your equipment. If you don't do as much of the work yourself you'll find your mechanic will create as many new problems as they fix.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
No i didn't I was in between samples and the previous one didn't show anything unusual. The after repair oil sample had them calling me to ask if had had the head off.

I do long interval on my oil samples, 20k Hinos burn super-clean so there is hardly any carbon build up at all.

anyway, my wife and I have been happy with our truck. Now our APU is a whole other story.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
That APU looks just like mine when you take the cover off. They're almost all made by the same company in Canada, TeleDyne Power or something.

I'm sure the new ones have finally got all the bugs worked out. The same company in Cnanda makes the Carrier, T-King, and well diamond power. They a basically marketing the same product under different names, although the T-king is a different design altogether.