HINO 195 LONGEVITY

zenn7

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ive owned an older Isuzu npr gasser. Came to love the feel of sitting up high, exceptional visibility and maneuverability.

Found a high mileage(382,000 km/..230 k Miles?)Hino cabover in Quebec,
It's a 2013 195 Penske truck so Im hopeful it's in reasonable shape.... It's what I can afford, and I want to believe all that legendary reliability stuff.

So.. Here's what I need from experienced folks-
what can I reasonably expect from the truck. Before it needs an engine rebuild?
Can this truck be rebuilt "in frame"?
What is an appropriate cost in USD for a rebuild?
Would I make a go of it on a highway run, as I plan to drop a reefer in and start shopping myself around.

Any advice on what to look out for?
price is $18,700 cad.
Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The Hino 195 is a tough little truck. There's relatively little I've had to do in depth. I wouldn't call 230k high mileage, either.

Have you driven it? Some earlier ones felt kind of hair-raising, but spring upgrades are available that make the ride much more stable, especially at highway speed.

I'd select one that has service history, and I'd have a Hino shop prepare a DX report to see if it's been overheated or things like that.

It can be rebuilt in-frame, but it probably will not need such work for a long time. One caveat is that the parts prices are relatively high. How much for an inframe? I don't know. None have blown up in my area yet.

A generic diesel shop is probably not going to have software needed to do much troubleshooting, so I'd be checking out the guys at your local dealer and see if you can build a rapport with them.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: zenn7

zenn7

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cant tell you how much I value finding a forum where someone experienced tells me what I want to hear. Makes emptying out my piggy bank alot less stressful.
No, havent driven it as I'm 3000 miles west at the other end of the country. Did finally get the truck into the Hino dealer in Quebec City and am staying close to the ph waiting to hear the verdict. (Cannot believe Penske's policy of not letting their trucks off the lot for inspection -shear insanity - IMO. THANK GOD the the local people there are alot more sensible and practical to "justgetterdone"-- infact I would very much like to hear others experiences dealing with Penske.

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Cant tell you how much I value finding a forum where someone experienced tells me what I want to hear. Makes emptying out my piggy bank alot less stressful.
No, havent driven it as I'm 3000 miles west at the other end of the country. Did finally get the truck into the Hino dealer in Quebec City and am staying close to the ph waiting to hear the verdict. (Cannot believe Penske's policy of not letting their trucks off the lot for inspection -shear insanity - IMO. THANK GOD the the local people there are alot more sensible and practical to "justgetterdone"-- infact I would very much like to hear others experiences dealing with Penske.
From what I can gather, there's quite a bit of variety between different Penske locations. Policies may vary. Pm me the VIN and I'll see if there's anything I can pull up on my end.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
... JHHHDL2H1DK001144, THX
I can't pull this one up. I assume it's because it's a Canadian truck.

Sorry I can't help you there. You can give this to a Hino dealer near you and look at warranty history and if the have been recalls performed or of any are outstanding.