Hinge lubrication

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What is the best lubrication for the hinges on van doors as far as brand etc.?

duramaxvan

Seasoned Expediter
On my 08 Chevy, the side door hinges have been a real problem. The best lube that I've found is Dri Slide, a motorcycle cable lube, it is a liquid graphite. it has a long needle to get into the hinge gaps.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
On my 08 Chevy, the side door hinges have been a real problem. The best lube that I've found is Dri Slide, a motorcycle cable lube, it is a liquid graphite. it has a long needle to get into the hinge gaps.

your 08 does not have the grease zerks on the hinges?

For a really rusted, stiff hinge. Kroil to get it loose. wd, dir slide, pb blaster for keeping it loose.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine is an 09 and I don't think it has zerks. The side cargo door is the prime suspect but I'm sure all are ready. I will look for the drislide.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i would go with the dri slide or moly lube both dry lubes. dry lube are better that wet ones in applications where dirt and water can mix. most wet lubes will act as a cutting agent along with the dirt / sand that can get into rollers / hinges and wear them out quicker.

moly lube is available at most trailer shops.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Installing a zerk on each hinge is the only way to lubricate the Chevy side door. One would think by now GM would have solved this problem. My 98 had swing doors, my 04 has a slider.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Someone solved it..I just pd the Chevy dealer 380$ to install new hinges on the side doors over Christmas break. That didnt include painting the Hinges.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
GM has never offered a hinge with a grease fitting on a prodoction van...at one time the replacement hinge pin had fitting, but it was only available on the whole hinge and those hinges are welded on and expensive to replace...there is a after market replacement hinge pin available with the fitting...

http://www.ineedparts.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=10484

if this isnt the exact kit, call them, they have the right kit for the side doors

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
My new hinges (replacements) came from the chevy dealer. I guess they could have been after markets in a GM box?? The greasable hinge pins sold seperate also came from the GM dealer.
Im going to have to look and see if they did weld em in place.I simply dont remeber loooking at that. Complete hinge (2 peices) but they only used the top hinge portion with the new pins.