hi

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
hi im going to start with a company by my self so ill be alone for a while untill my other half get his cdl any advice would be helpful to me on any and all topics
thanks and god bless
keep rolling:) :) :)

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
My advice would be to keep a sharp eye on your business. This time of year can be cruel to your bottom line. Study up on the areas where your company can best use you and will keep you busy.

Take advantage of the truck stop perks and use your points for food and coffee. No sense in paying for something that could be free.

Pack a good book or your favorite video games to entertain yourself during sitting time.

Stay in service and stay in the freight lanes.

Good Luck;)

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
do most of the truck stops have free wireless internett i'm bringing my lap top to pay our bills on line and how are the loads right now slow of not bad i have truck payments and insurance to pay every month and my nest egg is not going to be able to pay my bills more than 1 month

God Bless Keep Rolling

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You need to spend at least a day just reading past forum posts. You will gain valuable insight on day to day living out here and what to expect in costs. You have to pay a fee at the truck stops to use the wireless internet. If you will do more reading lots of members have commented on ways to get free internet. There are also several posts on how well the freight is doing right now. Depends on the company, the type of truck, and which part of the country you are in to how well everyone is doing.

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
ill be going to orientation on febuary 5 in ohio and i would like some advice see ill be going alone my husband is still studing to get his cdl B so ill be by my self for a few months i need some help on
safety
general knowledge
can you all please help a nervous lady get over he nerves??
God bless and keep rolling

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
There has been lots posted in this forum on safety while driving and night and other areas of concern. My suggestion is while at orientation you take a "truck notebook" that you take lots of notes in. Also get names and phone numbers of people that can help you at the company you are going with. Talk to any and every driver you can and sort out what is good information and what is just a driver having a bad day. I think you would feel a lot more confident if you would spend lots of time reading on the forum.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Bambam,
The key to success in this business seems to be staying in service. Be available as much as possible. It will certainly get better once you and your husband are team driving but for now you need to try to stay available as much as possible. Keep in mind, the dispatcher is not your best friend. They have a job to do and they need to get it done. If you don't feel safe in an area where they want to send you or leave you, then move to another area. You will get lots of information to help you at your orientation and, as Linda mentioned, take a notebook and take lots of notes. This forum has so many great suggestions. Read as much as you can on the forums. Good Luck to you! Remember, we are all here and we love to give advice. *grin*

India Hamner
FedEx CC
D Unit
The reason so many people know the solution is that they created the problem!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
BAMBAM:

Since you joined the forum 13 days ago, you've mentioned your "other half", your "husband", and your "boy friend". For safety purposes, you should only bring along one at a time, particularly if you are logging your HOS.

What company will you lease with? In addition to the forum help, perhaps the carrier will suggest a mentor to help you along the way.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>do most of the truck stops have free wireless internett i'm
>bringing my lap top to pay our bills on line and how are the
>loads right now slow of not bad i have truck payments and
>insurance to pay every month and my nest egg is not going to
>be able to pay my bills more than 1 month
>
>God Bless Keep Rolling
Truck stops make too much money on wifi to be giving it away but many have data ports inside . Get a list of local dialup numbers for your ISP . A lot of motels have free wifi and you can pickup their signal if you park close enough to them . IdleAire basic service includes free local phone , internet , and cable TV . WiFi from the major truckstops costs around $5 a day or $20 a month if charged to a credit card .

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Now Terry , you got me curious . She only mentions her boyfriend under hobbies in her profile . He's for pleasure , not work . The truck won't be that crowded .

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
i only have one man but he gets called every thing and anything he does not mind he is in the process of getting his class B cdl so he will be able to team with me so i will have company and and we will have extra money

GOD BLESS & KEEP ROLLING

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
yes i know too
my old man has never been traveling so i think after he gets out ther he will relly enjoy it if not i told him he will just have to hump it!:D :D :D

whitechocolet

Seasoned Expediter
If ya fuel at the TA you get points. They add up pretty quick and you can use them for wifi. If you have a wifi card in your lap top it’s a good way to go. Sometimes the signal is weak but it usually works for us. Some of the other truck stops have availability but you have to pay cash as best we’ve figured out so we just head for the TA. Good luck.
:)

Pappy

Expert Expediter
GEE!, I guess some folks can just have their cake and eat it too. I personally never had a girlfriend that liked my wife, nor did I ever have a wife that really understood my having a girlfriend! Guess some women just ca'nt handle having a sense of humor!

Pappy

:p

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Now I'm really confused, and concerned for your safety. You not only have an "other half", your "husband", and your "boy friend"; now you have "the old man". That's a lotta co-drivers!

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
yea i know i guess ill have to down size and just take my old man and leave the others behind but he has to get his cdl b's first im heading out tonight my truck is sitting at the piliot in ohio ill pick it up on monday im still very nervous so here goes everything aand nothing

god bless keep rolling:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>yea i know i guess ill have to down size and just take my
>old man and leave the others behind but he has to get his
>cdl b's first im heading out tonight my truck is sitting at
>the piliot in ohio ill pick it up on monday im still very
>nervous so here goes everything aand nothing
>
>god bless keep rolling:p :p :p :p :p :p :p
WHAT ???????? Your truck is sitting at the Pilot ? Listen , if they plan on sending you out without a drug test , physical card , road test , orientation , and more , DON'T GET ON THAT BUS !!! Won't you even get a fuel card ? Seriously they have you set up to be liable for a bunch of fines .

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
>hi im going to start with a company by my self so ill be
>alone for a while untill my other half get his cdl any
>advice would be helpful to me on any and all topics
>thanks and god bless
>keep rolling:) :) :)

its probably too late but i wouldnt leave home without that other half,being;husband,boyfriend,or old man
expedite is hard enough in the slow times running team,let alone trying run solo,also.when he gets his cdl,how do you plan on picking him up,its not like you tell dispatch you want a load to where ever and they get you one,this is expedite,not regular freight
all in all good luck,you are going to need it