Hi Tops for Vans

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
I have an '04 Ford ext van. Does anyone know where to get a 24" raised roof put on? Not findng anything on Google yet..

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Any place that does high top conversions for van/buses or the handicapped, should be able to accomadate you. Resident van owner Terry had one on his last truck and I think this one? He could give you an idea on costs, but I would say $2,000 to 2,500. Mine is just a questimate. 24" I believe is alittle higher than the standard van turtle top.
I would PM TerryandRene if you have specific questions.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Hey John. I just saw a place a few days ago that had a new raised top van they sell. Check this out:
http://lawest.com/cargo_king_e250.htm

This particular conversion was only for a standard length van, but if they do that one, then maybe they do the extended as well. The reason I mention this place is the doors. Look at the cargo doors! Not only has the roof been raised, but they lengthened the side and rear cargo doors to 56" high. That is HUGE when figuring what will load into the van. I know the one shown isn't 2 feet taller, but the door conversion would certainly make a big difference.

Jeff

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I had a couple of tops put on Ford extended vans at Osage van conversions in Osage, Mo. Lot's of companies in Elkhart, Indianna that will do a one-of-a-kind and can order them in various configurations.

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
Definately like the doors raised as well. Makes squeezing that 48 inch high pallet in a lot easier! Thanx for the links and info. I will be coming back into expediting in August with co driver, and thinking of raising van roof nice & high

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think you can beat the entire back wall of the van opening like on the SRW. If the idea is to put a raised roof on an older van this isn't a good option. If it's a new van being upgraded with raised roof this might be a good option to explore.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
Unicell, with maybe 16' box will be my next van, if theres still any money to be made with small units. I didnt want to get back into this biz with a 40K van just yet. If it's too much $ to raise roof on my Ford, then I wont do it. I got it used ('04) with 19K mi on it for $16K, and wouldnt mind putting 2K more in it on a roof, if I do well on the highway

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are you looking for the raised roof for freight capability or for stand up room when you are "living" in there? If it's for freight you'd want something like the one with the tall doors if possible. If it's for livability you might want to look into one of the pop-up type that raises when you are stopped and lowers for driving so you don't have the mpg penalty of the solid roof.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
Pop up roof sounds interesting! Are they noisy like a convertible? Haha, obviously I need to learn more about them. If me and my gf can function w/o raising the roof, (on the van as well as talking too loud to each other!) then I will just wait 2 or 3 years and get a Sprinter or box van.
Are the pop up vans expensive? I saw a see-thru one on a website that popped up REAL high, no price though..

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you look at http://www.sportsmobile.com/ you can see a couple of vans with the expandable roof.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It would seem like kinda limited usage. Too hot or too cold (minus 10 degrees) would make for some interesting endurance tests.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You would definitely need an Espar or similar heater for winter and a good a/c system for summer but they do close up to be fully weather tight of course. At night and/or when sleeping it can be lowered also to seal just like the standard van. The height would just be there when you wanted to stand up.

EO Forum Moderator
----------