Hey Chef Dennis

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Hey Chef Dennis!

We know you were a chef in a former life and we have heard you mention your meals on the road that are in those sealed packages. So can you help us out here?

Give us some ideas of meals you take on the road and how you do them. Do you put an entire meal in a sealed package like a frozen dinner kind of thing or do you just fix the meat and purchase fresh veggies and stuff to go with it or what?

Also, when you are on the road and getting ready to select what to eat, what is your favorite thing to pull out - something you can hardly wait to have for the next meal?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, Thanks for askin!! I am driving on my way to Gary ind. Ill be there later this afternoon and then i'll let you know how i do it, what i eat the most and my fav road meal............

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, I am not ignoring you all, my DH to Gary turned in to an 800 mile run to elbe ala, then a 200 mile to atlanta....as soon as i get a chance, i'll be here to discuss this ....i promise...:D

miker

Seasoned Expediter
LOL, I am not ignoring you all, my DH to Gary turned in to an 800 mile run to elbe ala, then a 200 mile to atlanta....as soon as i get a chance, i'll be here to discuss this ....i promise...:D

so not only is he keeping us on the hook for the goods or should I say sweets, but he has to brag about his mileage, sheesh. some people!:rolleyes:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
LOL...Chef, we are home at the moment, going back into service in the morning. Send those miles to us ok? ;)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok!! Sorry for the delay, but checkout my post in the main forum on the MAY locations....i been runnin all over since tues...finally get to sleep at night instead of driving and i am doin it with a broken AC in West Palm Beach Fla.

So now to the cookin.....

In my past business endeavor i was a "Personal Chef", now thats after goin to culinary school in my late 40's to become a Chef in a commerical kitchen... instead I found this Personal Chef deal and figured i was better suited for that, since i don't "play well with others" for an extened amount of time, so working in a commerical kitchen lost its appeal quickly (i have always wanted to be a chef, waited till i retired to do it).

As a Personal Chef, you are basically a "private chef" , but you have more then one client and you don't cook in the same kitchen each day. The premise is to cook anywhere from 6-24 complete meals for whatever number of people in the family to last them 2 week.... That food is cooked, cooled, then sealed, frigerated or frozen to be heated and cooked at a later date.

So with that little bit of backround, heres what i do for myself. When i am home i will make 7 complete meals to feed 2 people (large portions) seal them seperately and then when i eat them, i heat them in the microwave. So thats 14 dinners that i will eat mon-fri weekends are for eating in sit down steakhouses with a good bar for me....Unless i pickup a steak, baking potato and fresh green beans for sunday to watch nascar or football....

Now unless you are a team, not too many of my meals are to be eatin while driving...thats what fast food is for, for a solo driver....

Now as to what i cook....think "one pot meals"..... the advantage to these meals is you can get a starch, veggie, and a protein all in one meal, sealed all together....Beef Tips and noodles, with onions and carrots..... pot roast with your fav veggies and red skin taters.....shepherds pie with either chicken or beef, ground or cubed, mixd veggies and mashed taters....Lasagna.....Italian Sausage with peppers and onions....

Thats just a few that are quick and easy and filling. In the frig right now is a half a rack of smoked babyback ribs, no sides for them.... bbq'd beef short ribs with fresh corn cut from the cob,diced red bell peppers pan fried in olive oil no starch with these this time.....Chicken Shepherds pie.....Chili Mac... and meat sauce with pinto beans and spaghetti noodles....liver and onions with boiled red skin tater.... and i think there is one oakage of my fav, turkey meatballs in a white sauce with fresh dill served with egg noodles.....

Now I also no a few different rice meals, but they are cooked in the van and not sealed.... I have a half a dozen of those rice or pasta meals with somne different powdered spice mixture in the box, I cook them in a $7 ricer/steamer that i picked up at walmart yrs ago (everyone should have one) then, I'll pickup some of those packaged Tyson meals, the chicken or beef. They are large chucks of meat, i cut them up add them to the rice and also add some "gravy" from a jar.....

Also when ever i stop at aBBQ place, I ALWAYS get a pound of their shredded pork and beef bbq....i then make bbq rollups with torillia shells in the micro wave...

As for my fav, it changes often, last month i had 4 "pesto stuffed chicken breast in the truck, I ate all 4 in a week....right now i have the turkey meatballs with the dill sauce...i been thinkin i need to make a mess of chicken raviollis that i make with "wonton wrappers and serve with a sauce made from heavy cream and sun dried tomatoes......mmmm good Beef tips and noodles is always in the frig.......quick, easy and very tasty....

Most anything can be cooked and vacuum sealed. The food will remain "fresh" for 10 days, no problem. After 10 days, it gets a bit "stale", but it is still good...stay away from meals with brocoli, broccoli puts off a gas the breaks down the vacuum seal of the bag and it isn't worth a dang after 3 days.....and i make a broccoli , emon, and garlic side that is to die for.....

So there you go. If you have any questiones, ask, ill answer anything i can...if you want any recipes, ask for them too, i'll share..or even find you something you can't, i have a massive data base of cookbooks.....Enjoy....

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Oh my goodness!!! Frank and I want to hire you to ride with us and do our cooking. We'll get you a room every night - unless we are on the road!!! :)

Wow! Thanks so much for all that input. I would love to have the turkey meatball meal recipe. That will be a good one to post here, I think.

I wish you could find a way to do your meals and sell them. What a great thing for drivers to have on the road! Guess they wouldn't keep for mailing and such but you have some amazing ideas!!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thanks! I'll post the recipe this weekend, just got a call for a run from ft. laudedale to somewhere, have to wait for the QC message to get here....seeya later...

truckn-lace

Seasoned Expediter
Hi chef Dennis I do have a question for ya, by the way haven't been on here for awhile playing catch up. Love your recepies could we have a cook off I am gain they call me Martha Stewart of the Hyway. My question when you do corn on the cob on the grill do you soak it first and then dip in butter (after cleaning them of course} or is there some other way have had it only a couple of times delicious but was not there when they prepared it. Help out oh great one! Hey pretty good having our own Bobby Flaye amongst us!!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
lol, bobby flay i am not...i pull the husk back, pull as much of the silk for the ear as possible, i then rub the ear in olive oil and add any spices at that time, I love basil or cilontro. then I pull a few husk back up and pour a little beer in there, i then close them up with the rest of the husk and cook it on the grill by simply turning it in quarter turns for about 10 minutes over the direct heat of the coals..then after that move them to the indirect heat area and cook them for about 15=20 more minutes..

Somw people will soak corn for about 10-15 minutes with the husk pulled back then go through the above....if you are using a good sweet white corn, i don't soak it....

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Chef you need to make a trucker's cook book and sale that baby. I bet several people would buy a copy. I know I would.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, Anne, you know that even my mouthwash is one of those that does NOT contain alcohol!!! LOL!!

As for the cookbook, my wife has been bustin my butt to put one together for yrs, just one if those simple spiral bound jobs that you can pickup in gift shops or at your church bizzar............I just have never taken the time to do it, maybe i should use the "waiting time" in between loads to do the recipe research and then let my wife deal with the publishing of it......i don't have any idea about "desktop publishing"

Last edited:

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
I have one in the works right now Chef. I have a program that I can use or I will take it to Kinkos. They have very good pricing! Mine won't be for sale....just for my kiddos! U really should do it tho! Maybe we can have our very own Bolt cookbook!!

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I'd like to pre-order your cookbook please! Just put me on the list and let me know how much to make the check out for. I think your ideas are even great for at home people.