Here we go again

creeper

Seasoned Expediter
Hi everyone, well i have thought about it and plan to jump back into the biz. I use to drive a D unit and really enjoyed it but when my team mate bailed on me I had little choice on what to do. Now I got my bro with me and did my best to give him an idea of what to expect with life on the road. I do still have a few questions i would like to ask tho.

1. With these new (ya its been a bit since I used one) log book regulations and H.O.S. As a team what is the best way to even driving time so neither of use run out of hours?

2. With us driving a D unit for a fleet owner and a 60/40 split and us paying the fuel cost and getting 100% of surcharge, is it reasonable to want to put say $500 each a week in our pockets for our families, giving we dont eat out much? Also with running at least 3 weeks at a time and longer if we are getting good freight.

Probly will have more questions as we get closer to sitting down with a company and a fleet owner but hope to find most of the answers in other posts already made. Would also be gratefull for any other info anyone wants to pass along.

Thanks

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
1) If the run is 1000 miles or less, I'd go 8/8. If you have an immediate pickup after you drop, the second driver can still go two (or three if necessary) more hours, then switch. The reason I say 8/8 is that we all know drivers don't sleep 10 straight. 8 would give the driver in the sleeper enough time to sleep, eat, and do some stuff; but not enough to start making him/her tired.

Anything more than 1000, go 10/10. Or, if you like the 8/8, you can legally continue that for another 300 miles or so; anything more than that and you'd have to take time off at the end of the run.

2) If you know what you're doing, and you signed on with a good company, you can make $500 for each driver. It may not happen every week. But if you want to average that, I'd say you could.

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
Also with running at least 3 weeks at a time and longer if we are getting good freight.

Soo...
if your not making enough money - your going to DH home .
if you are making a good income - you not going to DH home .
interesting concept .

try this :
get a calender , (you can get a 16 months ones at office max),
mark the dates you have to be home , or away from the truck.
add the date you wish to be home.
look on the quarterly dates .

and HAVE A WRITTEN BUSINESS PLAN IN PLACE for each quarter, ... a realistic one .
once you reach your quarterly goals - you go home.

if you took time of in the beginning or middle of quarter , and you are "ahead of the game", you can afford to go home again.
if you did well last quarter , but not so well this one , well ,now you know you can't afford home time.

(what if you spend 3 days home , get a load to Omaha , and spend 4 days in the Cummins hospital ? , how will you know when you can afford to go home again ?)

Get the big picture !

creeper

Seasoned Expediter
& how the heck did you came up with that screen name ?

I get that name from my firends i play Airsoft with. I am a sniper in our club and hard to find me sometimes. For those who dont know what Airsoft is it is like paintball but we use little plastic bbs.

Also moose to answer your question about the home time what i mean by 3 weeks is that after 3 weeks we will then start looking for a load to get us closer to home so we dont have to dead head far to get home. We wont drive straight home after the 3 week mark hits. As for the second part if we are getting regular long loads that are paying well we will stay out longer. Also thanks for the advice on the business plan idea sounds like a good plan of action.

If I could ask everyone seems to say "if you sign on with a good company" but i dont hear anyone saying who the good companies are. Does anyone have any good recomendations? Pm them to me if you want to.

Last edited:

atlas1220

Not a Member
If I could ask everyone seems to say "if you sign on with a good company" but i dont hear anyone saying who the good companies are. Does anyone have any good recomendations? Pm them to me if you want to.

Every single company's gonna have a handfull of "we work for the best" ........from some

Those very same companies will get "this company is absolutly the worst" ......from others

With a few exceptions, most every company can generate you an income. Some will fail earning a decent buck, regardless of who they are signed on with.