Help with E-Pass

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Can someone tell me (web Site very confusing) if you have to have an e-pass for every state and if so, do you have to have one of the plastic boxes for each state. Not trying to be funny, just don't understand how them darn things work. Any infor very much appreciated.
Jumbuck

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can someone tell me (web Site very confusing) if you have to have an e-pass for every state and if so, do you have to have one of the plastic boxes for each state. Not trying to be funny, just don't understand how them darn things work. Any infor very much appreciated.
Jumbuck

We have on fusion transponder for both EPass and PrePass. It works where ever those systems are used. Keep in mind that many states and provinces don't use either so you still have to have toll money and may be required to make more scale stops.

Monty

Expert Expediter
States such as Oklahoma and Florida have their own toll tags. EZPass for the scales works in all states that use that system.

I had a BestPass from Maryland that did both tolls and scales, it incorporated EzPass and PrePass into one unit. It also did NorPass for the few states that use it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
States such as Oklahoma and Florida have their own toll tags. EZPass for the scales works in all states that use that system.

I had a BestPass from Maryland that did both tolls and scales, it incorporated EzPass and PrePass into one unit. It also did NorPass for the few states that use it.

That is the transponder we have. California, Kansas and ONT do not use EZPass. There are likely others but I can't think of them right now.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your talking about tolls only right? I use the Illinois IPass and its good for every state from WI to the entire east coast. Only place I ever found in the US that it didn't work was MO. Had to stop and manually pay. Not only is the IPass a huge time saver but at least in IL, the tolls are actually lower cost with the IPass. Small unit deposit, saves time, saves fuel (less stopping), save money, can exit and reenter without change, print reports online anytime for your records. After you get one, you will wonder why you waited so long.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your talking about tolls only right? I use the Illinois IPass and its good for every state from WI to the entire east coast. Only place I ever found in the US that it didn't work was MO. Had to stop and manually pay. Not only is the IPass a huge time saver but at least in IL, the tolls are actually lower cost with the IPass. Small unit deposit, saves time, saves fuel (less stopping), save money, can exit and reenter without change, print reports online anytime for your records. After you get one, you will wonder why you waited so long.

Does it work on the Florida Turnpike? EZ-Pass does not but does work in IL.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry, never been down there to try it. I just pull up to a gate that says cash or transponder and see if the green light comes on. I think if you go on IL IPass web site (google it) they tell you which states allow use of their IPass. I just know I can leave WI and drive to the east coast, spend all week there and never have to manually pay a toll.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Ez pass doesn't work in Florida. We stopped and bought a Sunpass for $5. You can get it on the Turnpike or at grocery stores.
Most rural exits take Sunpass only; cash is not an option.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Having just done a mess of toll roads back and forth from IL through IN, OH, and PA and thinking about getting EZPass or similar, then reading Bill's post about IL I-Pass,, I just looked it up:

I-Pass (wiki)

I-Pass Website

Evidently there are over 700,000 I-Pass violations each year, mostly, I'm assuming, from lack of updating your account with proper bankcard or not keeping sufficient funds in your I-Pass account.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You just have to remember to inform them when the credit card expires and you get a new card.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I have the I pass too love it. MO are you talking Missouri?? no tolls in Missouri

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I have an Ohio pass and it seems to work everywhere I've been just left fl a week ago and it seemed to work there don't know about Cali though

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have an Ohio pass and it seems to work everywhere I've been just left fl a week ago and it seemed to work there don't know about Cali though

This is from Florida turnpikes website.

If you are not a SunPass customer, tolling cameras will take a photo of the vehicle’s license plate and mail a TOLL-BY-PLATE monthly invoice for the tolls plus a $2.50 administrative charge to the registered owner of the vehicle.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Monty

Expert Expediter
I have the I pass too love it. MO are you talking Missouri?? no tolls in Missouri

I wondered about Missouri too.

just left fl a week ago and it seemed to work there

You will sonn receive an invoice in the mail, with a $2.50 handling fee attached. We ran the pass lanes last trip down, they snap your plate number and send a bill.

Sorry xiggi, I posted when you did .... and it works exactly that way. I've already gotten, and paid the bill.

Do NOT try that on the 407 in Canada, the admin charge was larger than the toll!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wondered about Missouri too.

You will sonn receive an invoice in the mail, with a $2.50 handling fee attached. We ran the pass lanes last trip down, they snap your plate number and send a bill.

Sorry xiggi, I posted when you did .... and it works exactly that way. I've already gotten, and paid the bill.

Do NOT try that on the 407 in Canada, the admin charge was larger than the toll!

I did the same thing in fl. Lol so nice of them to bill us.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
470 around Denver, going out to the airport, takes pics and then bills you through the mail. All of a sudden one visit the pay booths were shuttered up and out-of-staters had nowhere to pay in person.

As a constant traveler, I didn't even know the bills had arrived at home, and when they weren't promptly paid (usually under $5ea if I recall correctly) a Late Fee and other crap was added on, for EACH toll gone through. Ended up being like $35 for each time, over a couple hundred total in fines and late fees, for just one visit to the Denver area.

I refused to pay it, let them know their online pay system was lousy and non-functioning, and suspect that a lot of people did the same. They eventually let everyone know you could pay the original toll and a relatively small fine and all would be good. It was a real mess for awhile.

Point is, with SunPass or other places that snap an image of your plate and then send you a bill in the mail, it's best to get it taken care of to avoid potential hassle down the road.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I got a bill from Canada. Hadn't been there the previous year.
Called and argued. The guy was pretty cocky. They had a picture with my Indiana plate on it. The numbers matched.
I asked him to describe my vehicle from the pic.
He described the tanker trl with Bulkmatic decals.
Bulkmatic's In trl plate had the same numbers as my In Tractor plate.
The thirty minutes on the phone saved me $50 or so in tolls and fees.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I got a bill from ny for a short run to buffalo from the pa border for toll violation toll was 2.45 penalty was 35.00 seems my card was compromised and I was issued a new one which did not transfer in time ! Fighting was futile and you guys know I'm a fighter!