Help me decide who?

Southern Drawl

Expert Expediter
OK Folks, I have to decide in the next few days. I will be driving solo, based in Columbia, SC, and plan to stay out for 3 - 4 weeks at a time. I think I need to sign on with one of the big 4 outfits so that I can get in and out of the southeast when necessary. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Charles Cranford
Columbia, SC

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You really answered your own question. The companies that have the largest freight base will move you the easiest barring they aren't over populated with your vehicle choice.
Good luck on your choice.

Davekc

Southern Drawl

Expert Expediter
Thanks Dave, I have purchased a "D" unit, Int. 4900, DT 530 275 hp. Spicer 10 speed with a 60" sleeper and a 24' box. Any specific recommendations as to the best carrier for a solo driver based in the southeast would be appreciated.

Charles Cranford
Columbia, SC

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been running solo in the southEast most of this year. I would recommend FEDEXCC ,then Panther,then Tri State or Express 1. I would stay away from LEA untill you have some experience as their system is different from the other carriers.
There is also a carrier that I think is based out of Raleigh or Charlotte, they are Nations Express.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd add Con-Way Now to your suspects list too. Good luck.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 3034
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
As a solo, I would check out Nations Express. They're based in Raliegh (I believe). I heard they have tons of stuff to and from the Carolinas, so getting home shouldn't be an issue.

The smaller companies tend to utilize solos more proficiently than the big 3 or 4. Broompilot has several posts on here proving that. He's also from North Carolina, so contacting him may be good insight on what to expect.

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Lets see---Nations Express---Yep---Charlotte,N.C. I see'um in Greenville,S.C. all the time

Pappy

34 years T/T:) :) :)