Hello

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Smoking Nazi

The last smokers I had in the truck said they"cleaned"the truck when they were done.
That meant they poured Amoral all over the cig butts(did'nt even pick them up off the floor)so instead of having a dirty mess,I had a dirty sticky mess.
I don't care what anyone does,or what they wish to do to their lungs,but the habit is one I don't wish to share with people who I am partnering with.
As far as Californa is concerned,we were not even in the top 10 states in recent obesity ratings.That was left to the great states in the soutern region of our country.Go figure.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
RE: Smoking Nazi

A slob is a slob weather he/she smokes or not. I smoke way to much, but I have no ashes or butts on the floor. Nor do I slop up the interior with armor all. If your dislike for smokers in your truck was because of damage or the distastefull smell thats one thing after all it is your truck, but it would be there home. (Away from home) If they were smoking something else that would be a different story. I would think as a money making owner I would be more concerned with there ability than there smoking habits.

The weight issue well I will leave that one alone, but I think Dave was saying that in the context of health and insurance, not the ground breaking CA. laws that some just shake there heads at and smile.

Make you a deal you layoff smoking and southern folk and I will layoff CA.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

The last smokers I had in the truck said they"cleaned"the truck when they were done.
That meant they poured Amoral all over the cig butts(did'nt even pick them up off the floor)so instead of having a dirty mess,I had a dirty sticky mess
====================================================================
Usually hiring the right person in the first place is your best defense. I talked to a owner several weeks ago that spent the day cleaning month old food out from under the seats.
It can be a ugly situation if someone is just plain filthy.
=================================================================
As far as Californa is concerned,we were not even in the top 10 states in recent obesity ratings.That was left to the great states in the soutern region of our country.Go figure
========================================================
That is true but it is just trading dollars on different issues.
The costs on obesity aren't much different than treating anorexia.
I bet you can guess who leads the nation in that catagory.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Why would a smoker be upset because a particular employer had a policy of not hiring smokers? I believe that an employer should have the right to make the choice, as long as it does not involve race or sex discrimination.

But, I must admit that right now this is an emotional and sensitive issue for me. In 1993 I came home from work and found my 39 year old brother dead on the floor from a massive heart attack most likely brought on by smoking, so said the autopsy.

Now, last friday when I got home and went to check on my best friend and co-driver who stayed in an RV behind my home I found he had passed away in his sleep. I must admit I have not seen the autopsy yet but he was a 2 pack a day smoker and I suspect that it contributed to his death.

For any of our friends who we have met over the the last 7 years with Roberts and Fed Ex and knew Joe Zaleski you are welcome to give me a call Jack Dixon 707- 332 1120

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter

Jack,
I'm very sorry to har about this loss.You and I have met on several occations,and I know this must be a blow to you on many levels.
I did not mean to stir up a hornets nest regarding smoking.I have many good friends(unfortunantly some have also moved on)who have smoked or still smoke.I also lost my Dad and Brother,both at young ages,to smoking related disorders.So,yes,it is also an emotional subject for me as well.
My company,and my drivers,are an extention of my family.I truly care about them,and welcome them into my home when they are in town.We talk almost everyday,and part of caring about them is caring about their health.
Take care
Slim

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Dave,
In my comments regarding EO ad's,I was refering to the comparison of w/g owners looking for drivers as opposed to W/G equipment available.
Yes,it does seem that there are many W/G owners looking for drivrs,but W/G owners are in the same boat with all owners,we need drivers.I have spoken to, and hired, W/G drivers who have been abused just as much as express drivrs.It cross's over,a cheat is a cheat.Ofcourse,some of these drivers were not exactly angels either.
But it is not common to see W/G equipment for sale.This could be that the vast majority of these trucks are driven by owners,and not fleet owners.Not sure,pure speculation.
But I am certain that on good months,everybody running,most on pre dispatch of climate control loads, that I am doing better then if these were all express trucks.This includes the added expence of reefer break downs.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
But it is not common to see W/G equipment for sale.This could be that the vast majority of these trucks are driven by owners,and not fleet owners.Not sure,pure speculation.
But I am certain that on good months,everybody running,most on pre dispatch of climate control loads, that I am doing better then if these were all express trucks.This includes the added expence of reefer break downs.
=================================================================
There are few reefer trucks for sale because there are so few of them compared to the total of regular surface trucks.
White glove loads are a pretty small percentage of total expedite loads on a given day.
As to whether they do better than a "express truck" depends on what you are looking at. The gross revenue may be higher, but high truck expense as you eluded to, and initial cost on investment makes those numbers closer than you think. Actual compared net revenue is the key. We have operated both in the past and do at the present time.
As you mentioned, there does seem to be alot of owners looking to hire drivers. Without alot of new truck orders requiring these specs, I am not sure what the reason is?

Just an observation

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

You have every reason to be sensitive on this issue when looking at your experiences.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator