Hello

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Hi Folks,
I have been a White Glove owner for 5 years.This is my second business,and it has been a very interesting experience,I must say.
I run 5 WG Reefer trucks,and for the most part,do very well.I had a sound business plan before I started,and grew my fleet at the rate of 1 truck per year.It is important to note that I have been in the Van Line business for 25 years,(VP Corporate Sales HHG).
My new business had to support itself,or I was not going to waste the time.Fortunantly,I had been dealing with drivers for many years prior to getting with FEDEX,so I knew divers mind set.Respect gains respect.
I'm into my 6th with the trucks,and am turning a prett good profit on a month to month basis.This is my second job,so I don't depent on the money from the trucks as my sole income.However,I run the business as if I did live off this money.
I would like to make a few observations about what I have leaned about whats going on out there.
1.Many (not all)owners run their business out of their wallets.No business plan,and no reserves when things get shakey.
2.Some owners are less then honest about the deals they either advertise or verbally agree to with drivers.
3.The good drivers,and I have had the pleasure to have many in my fleet,will stay as long as the "deal"is not subject to the owner not being able to pay their bills.
4.I have never had to worry about a contract.If I smell a rotton egg,their gone.It's a two way street.I keep my word,and I expect the same in return.
4.Smokers need not apply.
This business is over analyzed.Too many non truckers have gotten into it without a sound business plan and given it a bad name.
There will always be a need for good operaters,but please,don't take the jump unless your eggs are all in a row and you have the RESERVES to stay in business.
There are far too many expedite drivers sitting around truck stops living on candy bars waiting for the next advance to buy a little fuel and try to make money(most are owed already)
If this sounds harsh,I'm sorry.There are just to many horror stories out there.The one positive is as these guys go out of business,those of us comitted to the industry have more work.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Welcome to EO and the Forums,your post was very well said. We need more fleet owners like yourself to take an active role,so please continue to express your feelings.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Very well put from obviously an expierenced knowledgeable business Owner and not just a driver.

I also own one other truck with this driver, honesty and being able to pay the bills with the income in reserves from the cash flow the truck makes us. Truck # 2 us paid for, many positives, takes care of the truck better than anyone else ever would think of. Negative I cannot tell my driver what he better or do or not do, he has to learn from mistakes just as any business owner does.

Heck of a learning curve for the both of us and patience on both ends.

Thank you for your insight hope to hear from you expierences more often.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for your comments.I love this business,even on the bad days(and nights @3:00AM)
Reefers can be a pain in the you know what,but are cash cows.This business is 3 times more competetive then 5 years ago.Reefers make the diference.Well worth the investment and trouble.80% of our loads are climate control year around.
Keep on truckin'

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for your comments.I will post more,just have been busy in this crazy buiness(I love it)but it's never a dull moment!!
Will have my 6th W/G unit on the road in 2 months

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We operate both and while it has its challenges, it has been a excellent year for us.
Excellent post.
It good to see a owner doing well, some only report the bad and seldom mention the good. Kinda like the nightly news.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ONESTACK

Expert Expediter
>Hi Folks,
>I have been a White Glove owner for 5 years.This is my
>second business,and it has been a very interesting
>experience,I must say.
>I run 5 WG Reefer trucks,and for the most part,do very
>well.I had a sound business plan before I started,and grew
>my fleet at the rate of 1 truck per year.It is important to
>note that I have been in the Van Line business for 25
>years,(VP Corporate Sales HHG).
>My new business had to support itself,or I was not going to
>waste the time.Fortunantly,I had been dealing with drivers
>for many years prior to getting with FEDEX,so I knew divers
>mind set.Respect gains respect.
>I'm into my 6th with the trucks,and am turning a prett good
>profit on a month to month basis.This is my second job,so I
>don't depent on the money from the trucks as my sole
>income.However,I run the business as if I did live off this
>money.
>I would like to make a few observations about what I have
>leaned about whats going on out there.
>1.Many (not all)owners run their business out of their
>wallets.No business plan,and no reserves when things get
>shakey.
>2.Some owners are less then honest about the deals they
>either advertise or verbally agree to with drivers.
>3.The good drivers,and I have had the pleasure to have many
>in my fleet,will stay as long as the "deal"is not subject to
>the owner not being able to pay their bills.
>4.I have never had to worry about a contract.If I smell a
>rotton egg,their gone.It's a two way street.I keep my
>word,and I expect the same in return.
>4.Smokers need not apply.
>This business is over analyzed.Too many non truckers have
>gotten into it without a sound business plan and given it a
>bad name.
>There will always be a need for good operaters,but
>please,don't take the jump unless your eggs are all in a row
>and you have the RESERVES to stay in business.
>There are far too many expedite drivers sitting around truck
>stops living on candy bars waiting for the next advance to
>buy a little fuel and try to make money(most are owed
>already)
>If this sounds harsh,I'm sorry.There are just to many horror
>stories out there.The one positive is as these guys go out
>of business,those of us comitted to the industry have more
>work.

ONESTACK

Expert Expediter
Seems like you have your expediting business together.If someone wanted to work with you how would they go about getting ahold of you?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>We operate both and while it has its challenges, it has been
>a excellent year for us.
>Excellent post.
>It good to see a owner doing well, some only report the bad
>and seldom mention the good. Kinda like the nightly news.

Dave,

This is the second time, I think, you have made a passing reference to owning a reefer truck (trucks?). You have written a great deal, in numerous posts, about the disadvantages of reefer ownership and your own break-even-at-best reefer fleet experience in the past. Do you now own reefer trucks? If so, what prompted your change of mind?

Don't worry. While you and I have gone head to head on both sides of the reefer issue before, I'll be nice. People are allowed to change their minds from time to time. For people considering the reefer choice themselves, your comments could be beneficial.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Hello all,Its about time something positive about an O/O and their business and business practices.GOOD JOB...

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Very nice post. Continued good luck. This is a wonderful business as I am sure you very well know.

Raceman
OTR O/O

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
My opinion on reefer type trucks with lift gates and tag axles is that it is not the most economical path for one to follow on their first truck buy.
Until several months ago, one would be limited to one carrier. With a large investment needed, your options were few if it didn't work out. In many cases the large investment was'nt providing net revenue any higher than a standard surface truck. This is evident by looking at who is consistently looking for drivers on EO classifieds.

My opinion did change somewhat because the opportunities changed. With the introduction of Elite Services the compensation structure is much better than what was originally available.
It is a new program, but I am optimistic on its future success.

Davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>My opinion did change somewhat because the opportunities
>changed. With the introduction of Elite Services the
>compensation structure is much better than what was
>originally available.
>It is a new program, but I am optimistic on its future
>success.
>
>Davekc

What is Elite Services?

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
This is my first posting.I must sound like someone else who has posted.
When I got into this industry,I wanted to be able to haul anythig that was being offered.I will agree,however,liftgates are a pain in the rearmand don't gt used enough for the grief they cause when they have not been opereated in a while.
They will always go down,but the going up is many times a problem.I hate them.
The reefers are also a pain,but 80% of our loads are reefer.If you keep them servied,they are great.With the goal being to keep the trucks going at at least $1.50 per mile,they are a Godsent.The fuel is no that much,and it sure gets us out of California,paticualrly the T Val service.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
You mention that one only need look at the classified ad's to see who's hireing.(White Glove owners)
Butyou fail to mention that there are NEVER anything but very old W/G trucks for sale in the classified ads..Why is this?I say it is because owners who make the leap,right out of the gate,to invest in this type of equipment, have decided that they will stick with the choice they have made.As well,they probably have the cash reserves to hang on through the hard times.I'm sure that there is a reason that none of the dealers around the country ever have used W/G units either.
As I see it,getting into expediting in a freight truck with no "extras"is very limiting.I don't ask other fleet owners what they are making, as it is not polite,and the truth is very elusive in trucking in general anyway.I cringe everytime I get a reefer problem call from a driver,but after the $500.00 to $800.00 contribution to Carrier,we move on.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
>
>What is Elite Services?

It is a seperate division within Panther that does specialized freight. Their version of white glove. Actually, alot of the same customers.
They do everything from reefers, temp, to flatbeds ect.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
>4.Smokers need not apply.
Dang a smoking nazi. Been on this site less than a week, and two ref. about smokers. Oh wait you did say you are from Ca. sorry never mind.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think you misunderstood my post. When refering to EO classifieds, I wasn't researching the equipment for sale.
I was referring to the employment section. These are owners with later model equipment searching for drivers verses the old you mentioned in the for sale section.
The other obvious place to look is new truck orders and how they are speced.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have had both smokers and non smokers and I have seen no difference in performance regardless.
Many companies have adopted anti-smoking policies based on health insurance premiums and statistics.

I do think it sets a questionable trend. Are we to follow that same policy for someone overweight or underweight?
Who would decide?
Clearly a concept that has concerns.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator