Hello, looking to get started in expediting.

jaybird2010

Active Expediter
Hi, my name is Jason I have been running a standard truck and trailer for about 11yrs now, my wife for the last two. I have always been intrigued by expediting. For the past few years I have been keeping an eye on this area of the driving market. My plan is to search for a good fleet owner and drive for them for a while, my carrier of choice would be exp 1 or load 1. If said fleet owner offers a buy out after truck is paid off, i might go that route if all is well. We would be looking to start in the 4th qtr. Thank you all for the wealth of information on this website!!!

Monty

Expert Expediter
Jason ... why have you been running your wife? Is that like beating her! :eek:

Hope you find your owner .... ever considered Landstar?

jaybird2010

Active Expediter
Yeah I did word that wrong. My wife has been driving for two years. I have looked at Landstar, and the wife and I would drive for them. We will be looking to drive a ST.

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Expediting is a tough business, especially in this economy. I'd say if your making money where you are now, I'd stay there for a while, to see if things level out.
Driving for a owner the first year or so is a great idea if you want to go that route. And from all the feedback here, Load1 couldn't be a better choice!!!
Welcome to EO:)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You will need to be prepared for some of the differences, I drove truck for 2 and a half years and found the differences in lifestyle to be a little suprising. I think one of the biggest is you have a lot more down time between loads which makes you feel like you aren't making money but once the pay shows up it suprises you how much you can make. I make quite a bit more running my CV than I did as a company truck driver and it is not like CV's require some huge financial risk though there is some.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
HI jASON, after my husband put in 32 years in a semi, he talked me into this thing called expediting, like any thing else in life, there is a learning curve. 11 years later I still recall the words a wise person spoke-don;t let the co. run your truck, they will run you into the ground ! I wish I met this person before we got into our truck-he recomended that one work for an owner for a while as expediting is different and not for everyone-we were too late-the truck owned us. If you chose to test the water, I to would recomend you trying it out on someone elses dime before you envest -this way if the fit is not right,you are not tied to the truck . Keep talking to people, take what you need from them and spit out the rest. Fishing poles come in all sizes !

jaybird2010

Active Expediter
Thank you all for your input.. any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated. I know a couple who run for FedExcc. So I get to pick his brain as well, but the archives on here is a plethora of information!!! I'm not in a hurry to just go jump in a truck and go. Although I would actually enjoy some sitting around between loads and I actually enjoy some number crunching, so hopefully when I do pull the trigger and get in a truck I will have learned enough to keep myself afloat, and continue to learn so that I might even make a decent profit!!! Thank you all...

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
you are in a good location to get home more. Talk to everyone,we're all in the same boat-just have different color oars. many out here will be glad to share information , I learned alot from talking to people,made mistakes and avoided some, knowledge is power.
check out all the companies, I'm with fdcc ,but I still talk to others in different companies, never know what tomorrow will bring or what direction the wind will blow.

jaybird2010

Active Expediter
Yeah, thank you.. Once we get our ducks in a row, we will start seriously looking for a good owner that has a ST slot open and go from there. Until then I will be reading, learning, reading and learning some more. If I were to read all the info on this website I think I might be ready for retirement before I finish reading!! lol